Outlook 2007 can't open jpg attachments

earlene

      16th Feb 2009
Recently, my outlook stopped being able to open jpg files. when I try to
open any picture attachments, the error message states that the
"application not found." for opening the file. All was well a few days ago
I havent found a way to fix it. Some automatic updates ran recently but I
don't know if that is the issue.

Roady [MVP]

      16th Feb 2009
It sounds like you do not have a properly configured default handler for
jpg-files configured.
Windows Vista; Start-> Default Programs
Windows XP and previous; Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently, my outlook stopped being able to open jpg files. when I try to
> open any picture attachments, the error message states that the
> "application not found." for opening the file. All was well a few days ago
> I havent found a way to fix it. Some automatic updates ran recently but I
> don't know if that is the issue.

earlene

      16th Feb 2009
Thank you, I forgot ot mention I have wn XP. I lookedwhere you said and found
JPE,JPEG AND JPG listed all related to photo album 6. how do I add one for my
emails? Do I need to download a file? or...

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> It sounds like you do not have a properly configured default handler for
> jpg-files configured.
> Windows Vista; Start-> Default Programs
> Windows XP and previous; Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Recently, my outlook stopped being able to open jpg files. when I try to
> > open any picture attachments, the error message states that the
> > "application not found." for opening the file. All was well a few days ago
> > I havent found a way to fix it. Some automatic updates ran recently but I
> > don't know if that is the issue.

Roady [MVP]

      17th Feb 2009
No, that is it; there is no specific thing you have to do for emails.
Attachments are opened with their default file handler as defined in
Windows.
When you save the attachment to your Desktop first, can you open it then?

If not, see if clearing your Outlook Temp folder solves it.
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you, I forgot ot mention I have wn XP. I lookedwhere you said and
> found
> JPE,JPEG AND JPG listed all related to photo album 6. how do I add one for
> my
> emails? Do I need to download a file? or...
>
> "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like you do not have a properly configured default handler for
>> jpg-files configured.
>> Windows Vista; Start-> Default Programs
>> Windows XP and previous; Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>
>> -----
>>
>> "earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Recently, my outlook stopped being able to open jpg files. when I try
>> > open any picture attachments, the error message states that the
>> > "application not found." for opening the file. All was well a few days
>> > ago
>> > I havent found a way to fix it. Some automatic updates ran recently but
>> > don't know if that is the issue.

earlene

      17th Feb 2009
Thank you, I was wandering the web after your suggestion and found mention of
a preview option for attachments, the photos were visable with that feature.
I had not noticed that option before so I went in and turned the option off
and my jpg files opened as usual. Don't have a clue why but there it is. I
guess computing by "old lady's" intuition still works sometimes. I appreciate
your help, I don't always have the correct terms in my brain to even look
for a solution and you sent me in the right direction.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> No, that is it; there is no specific thing you have to do for emails.
> Attachments are opened with their default file handler as defined in
> Windows.
> When you save the attachment to your Desktop first, can you open it then?
>
> If not, see if clearing your Outlook Temp folder solves it.
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you, I forgot ot mention I have wn XP. I lookedwhere you said and
> > found
> > JPE,JPEG AND JPG listed all related to photo album 6. how do I add one for
> > my
> > emails? Do I need to download a file? or...
> >
> > "Roady [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds like you do not have a properly configured default handler for
> >> jpg-files configured.
> >> Windows Vista; Start-> Default Programs
> >> Windows XP and previous; Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types
> >>
> >> --
> >> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> >> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> >> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> >> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> >>
> >> http://www.msoutlook.info/
> >> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> >>
> >> -----
> >>
> >> "earlene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Roady [MVP]

      18th Feb 2009
Good to hear you've got it solved and you're welcome! :-)