Outlook 2003 SP1 upgrade - Rules no longer work properly.

Michael Hewson

      29th Jul 2004
I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk
mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open -
If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent
e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as to
why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my
rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates everything
worked fine.

Any help would be gratefully received -

Regards,

Michael Hewson MCP

neo [mvp outlook]

      29th Jul 2004
odd... what type of account are you working with?

"Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk
> mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open -
> If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent
> e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as

> why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my
> rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates

everything
> worked fine.
>
> Any help would be gratefully received -
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Hewson MCP

Michael Hewson

      29th Jul 2004
An ordinary SMTP exchange account - all mail is stored on the server and
then delivered into a Personal folder on the user's PC.

"neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> odd... what type of account are you working with?
>
> "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new

junk
> > mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is

open -
> > If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent
> > e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as

> > why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my
> > rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates

> everything
> > worked fine.
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully received -
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Michael Hewson MCP

AC

      29th Jul 2004
I'm seeing an identical problem after downloading the
update to the spam engine. I have three rules set up to
delete spam permanently which used to work beautifully.
Following the update to the anti-spam facility the spam
messages are simply directed to the Junk E-mail folder and
it appears that the rules simply do not run.

Here's hoping for a speedy solution!

Regards
AC

neo [mvp outlook]

      30th Jul 2004
And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used cached
mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
<username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will build a
profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.

"Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> An ordinary SMTP exchange account - all mail is stored on the server and
> then delivered into a Personal folder on the user's PC.
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > odd... what type of account are you working with?
> >
> > "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new

> junk
> > > mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is

> open -
> > > If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent
> > > e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas

as
> > > why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all

my
> > > rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates

> > everything
> > > worked fine.
> > >
> > > Any help would be gratefully received -
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Michael Hewson MCP

Michael Hewson

      30th Jul 2004
My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with regard to
delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the Exchange
server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on my
PC?
One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the option
to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.

"neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used

cached
> mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
> <username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will build

> profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.
>
> "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > An ordinary SMTP exchange account - all mail is stored on the server and
> > then delivered into a Personal folder on the user's PC.
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > odd... what type of account are you working with?
> > >
> > > "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

new
> > junk

> > open -

subsequent

ideas
> as

> my
> > > everything

neo [mvp outlook]

      30th Jul 2004
I'm confused... this is what I thought you described as a profile.

1) Add MS Exchange Transport and configure it for cached mode (or
non-cached)
2) Add a Personal Folders file
3) Set the delivery location to the Personal Folders file

At this point, if I was to create a rule, the rule would be stored in the
personal folder file because it contains the *default* inbox. I'm thinking
this configuration may break rules since items are not truly being delivered
to the Inbox by the Exchange transport. In reality it would be considered a
move.

How close am I to what I thought you originally described.

"Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uCZl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with regard

> delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the

Exchange
> server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on my
> PC?
> One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the

option
> to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
> versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used

> cached
> > mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
> > <username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will

build
> > profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.
> >
> > "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > An ordinary SMTP exchange account - all mail is stored on the server

and
> > > then delivered into a Personal folder on the user's PC.
> > >
> > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> new
> > > junk

is
> > > open -

> subsequent

> ideas
> > as

all
> > my

Michael Hewson

      2nd Aug 2004
Thats exactly how I am configured -

The mail is delivered in Cached mode to the personal folder - however the
mail then does not get redirected to the relevant folders as it should do as
designated by the rules I have set. It stays in the Inbox. However if I then
click on Send/Receive All from the toolbar, the mail then gets sent to the
relevant folders as designated by my rules.
It is very strange.

Thanks,

"neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm confused... this is what I thought you described as a profile.
>
> 1) Add MS Exchange Transport and configure it for cached mode (or
> non-cached)
> 2) Add a Personal Folders file
> 3) Set the delivery location to the Personal Folders file
>
> At this point, if I was to create a rule, the rule would be stored in the
> personal folder file because it contains the *default* inbox. I'm

thinking
> this configuration may break rules since items are not truly being

delivered
> to the Inbox by the Exchange transport. In reality it would be considered

> move.
>
> How close am I to what I thought you originally described.
>
> "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uCZl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with

regard
> > delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the

> Exchange
> > server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on

my
> > PC?
> > One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the

> option
> > to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
> > versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used

> > cached
> > > mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
> > > <username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will

> build
> > > profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.
> > >
> > > "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> and

message

the
> > new

> is

> > subsequent

> > ideas
> > > as

> all
> > > my

neo [mvp outlook]

      2nd Aug 2004
Out of curiosity, why use a PST file when cached mode Exchange offers the
same benefits as that local PST?

"Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thats exactly how I am configured -
>
> The mail is delivered in Cached mode to the personal folder - however the
> mail then does not get redirected to the relevant folders as it should do
> as
> designated by the rules I have set. It stays in the Inbox. However if I
> then
> click on Send/Receive All from the toolbar, the mail then gets sent to the
> relevant folders as designated by my rules.
> It is very strange.
>
> Thanks,
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm confused... this is what I thought you described as a profile.
>>
>> 1) Add MS Exchange Transport and configure it for cached mode (or
>> non-cached)
>> 2) Add a Personal Folders file
>> 3) Set the delivery location to the Personal Folders file
>>
>> At this point, if I was to create a rule, the rule would be stored in the
>> personal folder file because it contains the *default* inbox. I'm

> thinking
>> this configuration may break rules since items are not truly being

> delivered
>> to the Inbox by the Exchange transport. In reality it would be
>> considered

>> move.
>>
>> How close am I to what I thought you originally described.
>>
>> "Michael Hewson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uCZl%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with

> regard
>> > delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the

>> Exchange
>> > server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on

> my
>> > PC?
>> > One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the

>> option
>> > to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
>> > versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.
>> >
>> > "neo [mvp outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > cached

>> build

>> and

> message

> the
>> > new

>> is
>> > subsequent
>> > ideas

>> all

Michael

      2nd Aug 2004

Most of our mailboxes use Outlook 2000 or XP and that was the configuration
we adopted for those clients - we have only just recently upgraded some of
our clients to 2003 and for the timebeing we wanted to keep a common
configuration for all clients across the domain.

--
Michael Hewson
news:uic$(E-Mail Removed)...