PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Outlook 2003 Rules Is this Possible

 
 
mobile
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Sep 2007
hello,

is it possible to create a rule that when I receive incoming email that is
not in my contacts. will send the mail to the junk email folder and send a
email to the sender of that email, with a message. then have a rule that
allows incoming emails with text in the header. like "rats taste good" or
some other kind of non standard text to segregate the emails into a good
pile. these would be coming from people not in the contacts list, and would
be a way to distinguish the spam that will not reply to the contacts not
listed in the contacts list that I would like to receive email from.

thank you


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Diane Poremsky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Sep 2007
yes, rules support doing things to messages based on address book entries...
so the rule could read:

Send all mail an auto reply except if in my address book... however, it's
really dumb since 99% of the spam will be spam - you'll have a lot of bounce
backs to deal with. Better is to set junk on high and keep the junk filters
updated.

Or try Sue's rules:
http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
(E-Mail Removed)


"mobile" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7qZDi.1444$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> is it possible to create a rule that when I receive incoming email that is
> not in my contacts. will send the mail to the junk email folder and send a
> email to the sender of that email, with a message. then have a rule that
> allows incoming emails with text in the header. like "rats taste good" or
> some other kind of non standard text to segregate the emails into a good
> pile. these would be coming from people not in the contacts list, and
> would be a way to distinguish the spam that will not reply to the contacts
> not listed in the contacts list that I would like to receive email from.
>
> thank you
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Sep 2007
It is also not a good idea to reply to spam. It lets the spammer know
they've found a valid address and that only leads to more spam if not worse.
Also a bit risky to say you want no email except from addresses already in
your address book. What about the case where you run into an old friend and
trade addresses. If you don't get his or her address in your book you'll
trash anything they send you. Or a case where you need to enter an address
in a web form for a bank or some other 'valid' use. You may not know what
address they might send something from so you may trash an important
message.


"Diane Poremsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, rules support doing things to messages based on address book
> entries... so the rule could read:
>
> Send all mail an auto reply except if in my address book... however, it's
> really dumb since 99% of the spam will be spam - you'll have a lot of
> bounce backs to deal with. Better is to set junk on high and keep the junk
> filters updated.
>
> Or try Sue's rules:
> http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.asp
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>
> "mobile" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7qZDi.1444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hello,
>>
>> is it possible to create a rule that when I receive incoming email that
>> is not in my contacts. will send the mail to the junk email folder and
>> send a email to the sender of that email, with a message. then have a
>> rule that allows incoming emails with text in the header. like "rats
>> taste good" or some other kind of non standard text to segregate the
>> emails into a good pile. these would be coming from people not in the
>> contacts list, and would be a way to distinguish the spam that will not
>> reply to the contacts not listed in the contacts list that I would like
>> to receive email from.
>>
>> thank you
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
mobile
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Sep 2007
what you have described is what I am trying to avoid.

I run into people, all kinds, work, old friends, new friends, more work and
do not have time to get everyone's email address, or I give out a card with
my address and they send email.

I am just trying to cut down on the spam email. getting hard to keep in
control manually,

thank you to the group, I will try to not be so "dumb" and use the four
filters outlined by Susan.

any more ideas, I am all ears.

thank you
"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is also not a good idea to reply to spam. It lets the spammer know
> they've found a valid address and that only leads to more spam if not
> worse. Also a bit risky to say you want no email except from addresses
> already in your address book. What about the case where you run into an
> old friend and trade addresses. If you don't get his or her address in
> your book you'll trash anything they send you. Or a case where you need
> to enter an address in a web form for a bank or some other 'valid' use.
> You may not know what address they might send something from so you may
> trash an important message.
>
>
> "Diane Poremsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes, rules support doing things to messages based on address book
>> entries... so the rule could read:
>>
>> Send all mail an auto reply except if in my address book... however, it's
>> really dumb since 99% of the spam will be spam - you'll have a lot of
>> bounce backs to deal with. Better is to set junk on high and keep the
>> junk filters updated.
>>
>> Or try Sue's rules:
>> http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.asp
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>>
>> "mobile" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:7qZDi.1444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> is it possible to create a rule that when I receive incoming email that
>>> is not in my contacts. will send the mail to the junk email folder and
>>> send a email to the sender of that email, with a message. then have a
>>> rule that allows incoming emails with text in the header. like "rats
>>> taste good" or some other kind of non standard text to segregate the
>>> emails into a good pile. these would be coming from people not in the
>>> contacts list, and would be a way to distinguish the spam that will not
>>> reply to the contacts not listed in the contacts list that I would like
>>> to receive email from.
>>>
>>> thank you
>>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the Out of Office Rules override the Rules and Alerts Rules? DJ Ref Microsoft Outlook Discussion 3 3rd Apr 2008 01:12 AM
RULES RULES RULES =?Utf-8?B?QmVuSkFNTUlO?= Microsoft Outlook Discussion 1 5th Oct 2004 08:15 PM
Rules, Rules, Rules Alex Microsoft Outlook 1 26th Dec 2003 04:36 AM
Outlook 2003 - Rules only work on primary IMAP account. All other rules for other IMAP accounts will not work. Travis Rabe Microsoft Outlook 0 13th Nov 2003 11:48 PM
Rules - Rules - Rules Matthew Jones Microsoft Outlook Discussion 2 8th Oct 2003 05:32 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12 PM.