Outlook 2000 spk3 attachments

Tech

      18th Dec 2003

When a user receives an email with a .url attachment the user can not click
on it and visit the website. Originally they were being deleted by Outlook
until I found the registry fix. There are two options "save to disk" and
cancel.

If they try to save it to disk first they get the error below.

* Outlook cannot save this url to a file. Cannot find this file. *
* Make sure the path and file name are correct. *

Solution Guy

      18th Dec 2003
Yeah this is happening because Microsoft blanket block
files with certain extensions from service pack 2 and on I
think. It's their "solution", albeit an incredibly clumsy
one, to the virus problem. You'll also find files with
extensions such as .lnk, .exe, .com, .bat, .pif, .mdb and
others are also blocked. It's not a very inteligent way of
dealing with things, the bugs need to be fixed in the code.

Anyway, the long and short is that there is no fix for the
problem since I beleive there are no attachment management
functions in Outlook 2000. However if your email is being
managed by an Exchange server then there is an Admin tool
that allows Exchange Administrators to specifiy which
files (extensions) are allowed and which aren't.

Roady

      18th Dec 2003
This is not the issue addressed here. FYI there is a way to divert the
attachment blocking and that is by editing the registry which is stated in
the issue.

Anyway; where are you trying to save the attachment to? Try saving it to a
different location. Also note that they are not deleted by Outlook but they
are just blocked.

--
Roady
www.sparnaaij.net

Questions of the month:
-Color Code Your E-Mail Advanced
-Add Sound To Your E-mail

Subscribe to the newsletter!
www.sparnaaij.net

-----
"Solution Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:067b01c3c554$9d8a30f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah this is happening because Microsoft blanket block
> files with certain extensions from service pack 2 and on I
> think. It's their "solution", albeit an incredibly clumsy
> one, to the virus problem. You'll also find files with
> extensions such as .lnk, .exe, .com, .bat, .pif, .mdb and
> others are also blocked. It's not a very inteligent way of
> dealing with things, the bugs need to be fixed in the code.
>
> Anyway, the long and short is that there is no fix for the
> problem since I beleive there are no attachment management
> functions in Outlook 2000. However if your email is being
> managed by an Exchange server then there is an Admin tool
> that allows Exchange Administrators to specifiy which
> files (extensions) are allowed and which aren't.

Solutions Guy

      18th Dec 2003
Very true, perhaps you might find your answer here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810646