"Out of Range" message and can't use PC!

=?Utf-8?B?Q0FGRkY=?=

      23rd Apr 2007
I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now if I
turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a black
screen with "Out of Range" on it. I cannot switch the PC off unless I unplug
it (which can't be right can it?). HELP!!! I have tried a number of support
phone numbers and I am getting nowhere!!!!!

I am not a technical person, so if you can help in easy to understand
messages, I would be eternally grateful!!!

Thanks ever so,

Cathy

Richard Urban

      23rd Apr 2007
You likely had a chosen screen resolution in Windows XP that is not
supported by the drivers supplied by Vista. This setting may have been
carried over when you upgraded to Vista (they should not have been).

When you first start your computer, repeatedly tap the F8 key. This will
eventually bring you to the advanced startup screen where there are numerous
boot up choices. Choose to boot in the Low Resolution Mode.

When you get to the Windows Desktop, right click on the desktop and go to
Personalize, then to Display Settings. Use the slider to choose a resolution
that your LCD can handle. Then, reboot.

Two things here. You may have to look at your manual to find out how to use
the F8 key on your laptop. You may have to press another key first before
the F8 key can be utilized.

Also, you will have to look in the manual to find out the recommended screen
resolution for your display.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"CAFFF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
> weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now
> if I
> turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a
> black
> screen with "Out of Range" on it. I cannot switch the PC off unless I
> unplug
> it (which can't be right can it?). HELP!!! I have tried a number of
> support
> phone numbers and I am getting nowhere!!!!!
>
> I am not a technical person, so if you can help in easy to understand
> messages, I would be eternally grateful!!!
>
> Thanks ever so,
>
> Cathy

JW

      23rd Apr 2007
Cathy,
If unable to select low resolution for your F8 boot and resolve your problem
then I have a few questions:
1. What kind of display are you using as your PC display over what
interface?
2. If not a standard PC monitor do you have one you can connect and again
try F8.
3. Are you runnig 32 bit or 64 bit Vista on your 64bit system.
4. When trying to manually shut down your PC have you tried pushing the
on/off button for 8-10 seconds instead of just unpluging it?

"Richard Urban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You likely had a chosen screen resolution in Windows XP that is not
> supported by the drivers supplied by Vista. This setting may have been
> carried over when you upgraded to Vista (they should not have been).
>
> When you first start your computer, repeatedly tap the F8 key. This will
> eventually bring you to the advanced startup screen where there are
> numerous boot up choices. Choose to boot in the Low Resolution Mode.
>
> When you get to the Windows Desktop, right click on the desktop and go to
> Personalize, then to Display Settings. Use the slider to choose a
> resolution that your LCD can handle. Then, reboot.
>
> Two things here. You may have to look at your manual to find out how to
> use the F8 key on your laptop. You may have to press another key first
> before the F8 key can be utilized.
>
> Also, you will have to look in the manual to find out the recommended
> screen resolution for your display.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "CAFFF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
>> weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now
>> if I
>> turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a
>> black
>> screen with "Out of Range" on it. I cannot switch the PC off unless I
>> unplug
>> it (which can't be right can it?). HELP!!! I have tried a number of
>> support
>> phone numbers and I am getting nowhere!!!!!
>>
>> I am not a technical person, so if you can help in easy to understand
>> messages, I would be eternally grateful!!!
>>
>> Thanks ever so,
>>
>> Cathy

computergenie

      23rd Apr 2007
I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Laptop and received upgrade via "Upgrade
Redemption Program".

If you had upgrade via "Upgrade Redemption Program" Then Follow The Advice
from this link:

http://support.acer-euro.com/winvista/index.html

http://support.acer-euro.com/winvista/FAQ.html

http://support.acer-euro.com/winvist...upgrade_v1.htm

This Message may be something to do with the graphics driver. Or Your
monitor settings are not rite.

If i was you i would check your monitor settings via vista in safe mode and
any buttons you may have on your monitor if no success reinstall and follow
the guide on that link. make sure you got latest drivers to.

Heres the link for your PC info and drivers etc...

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...pire_t180.html

"CAFFF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
> weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now
> if I
> turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a
> black
> screen with "Out of Range" on it. I cannot switch the PC off unless I
> unplug
> it (which can't be right can it?). HELP!!! I have tried a number of
> support
> phone numbers and I am getting nowhere!!!!!
>
> I am not a technical person, so if you can help in easy to understand
> messages, I would be eternally grateful!!!
>
> Thanks ever so,
>
> Cathy

Don

      23rd Apr 2007
CAFFF wrote:
> I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
> weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now if I
> turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a black
> screen with "Out of Range" on it...

I get exactly the same 'out of range' on my LCD monitor. This is caused
by the Vista bootmgr menu (for reasons I don't understand) but I can see
the boot menu perfectly if I plug in my clunky old CRT monitor instead.

By using the old monitor I figured out that the bootmgr was just waiting
for the 30-second timeout before booting the default (Vista). So, when
I see the out-of-range message I just hit 'enter' and Vista boots right
away. If I want to boot the 'legacy' XP I need to hit the up-arrow key
first, and then 'enter'.

Give it a try and see what happens. (Blind leading the blind ;o)

=?Utf-8?B?Q0FGRkY=?=

      24th Apr 2007
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions - I will try them when I get
home this evening and let you know how I get on!

Thanks so much - I may finally be able to use my new PC!

Cathy

"Don" wrote:

> CAFFF wrote:
> > I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
> > weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now if I
> > turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a black
> > screen with "Out of Range" on it...

> I get exactly the same 'out of range' on my LCD monitor. This is caused
> by the Vista bootmgr menu (for reasons I don't understand) but I can see
> the boot menu perfectly if I plug in my clunky old CRT monitor instead.
>
> By using the old monitor I figured out that the bootmgr was just waiting
> for the 30-second timeout before booting the default (Vista). So, when
> I see the out-of-range message I just hit 'enter' and Vista boots right
> away. If I want to boot the 'legacy' XP I need to hit the up-arrow key
> first, and then 'enter'.
>
> Give it a try and see what happens. (Blind leading the blind ;o)

New Member

      16th May 2012
May 15, 2012:

Hitting enter after out of range message and waiting works like a champ. I am home free! Thanks very much.