(OT) Firefox upgrade to version 3.6.2

robinb

      26th Mar 2010
actually may be a good thing- less attacks on it?
robin

"Jerry Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ohy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> And Opera, which I use, has an even lower percentage of use <g>.
>
> Jerry
>
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ObwF$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> wow- chrome has a real low percentage of usage
>> robin
>>
>> "Jerry Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Oops! I meant to include this recap in my previous post. It will save
>>> those
>>> who only want the summary from having to go to the Wikipedia article.
>>>
>>> Here's the summary of the Wikipedia article "Usage share of web
>>> browsers"
>>> at:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...f_web_browsers
>>>
>>> "The usage share of web browsers.
>>> Source: Median values from summary table.
>>> Internet Explorer (54.50%; Usage by version number)
>>> Mozilla Firefox (30.96%; Usage by version number)
>>> Google Chrome (5.61%)
>>> Safari (5.27%)
>>> Opera (2.10%)
>>> Other (1.78%)"
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jerry

Jerry Martin

      26th Mar 2010
Robin:

I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on Opera.
But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of its features. But
that's my personal taste. To each their own when it comes to browsers <g>.

Jerry

"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OUg7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> actually may be a good thing- less attacks on it?
> robin
>
> "Jerry Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ohy$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> And Opera, which I use, has an even lower percentage of use <g>.
>>
>> Jerry
>>
>> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ObwF$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> wow- chrome has a real low percentage of usage
>>> robin
>>>
>>> "Jerry Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

gene@none.net

      27th Mar 2010
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:27:06 -0400
"Jerry Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Robin:
>
> I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on
> Opera. But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of its
> features. But that's my personal taste. To each their own when it
> comes to browsers <g>.

Opera share probably went up a bit with start of European browser choice
screen earlier this month. At least, Opera reported a ton of downloads
the first right off. And 10.52 is fast, even if all the pieces and
bugs haven't been worked out yet (Opera rushed out 10.50 prematurely
relative to earlier versions to meet the March 1 deadline).

Gene

occam

      27th Mar 2010
On 26/03/2010 22:27, Jerry Martin wrote:
> Robin:
>
> I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on Opera.
> But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of its features. But
> that's my personal taste. To each their own when it comes to browsers <g>.

Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox add-ons?
(or even Chrome add-ones?)

gene@none.net

      27th Mar 2010
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:36:09 +0100
occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On 26/03/2010 22:27, Jerry Martin wrote:
> > Robin:
> >
> > I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on
> > Opera. But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of
> > its features. But that's my personal taste. To each their own when
> > it comes to browsers <g>.
> >

> Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox add-ons?
> (or even Chrome add-ones?)

Try and find out for yourself. But add-ons - what's that? Those
don't exist in Opera, except in the sense of custom skin designs and
the option not to use features, such as Opera Unite, widgets or
many other built in elements. The ability to change the look and
operation in ton of ways is built in.

Gene

occam

      27th Mar 2010
On 27/03/2010 09:58, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:36:09 +0100
> occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On 26/03/2010 22:27, Jerry Martin wrote:
>>> Robin:
>>>
>>> I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on
>>> Opera. But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of
>>> its features. But that's my personal taste. To each their own when
>>> it comes to browsers <g>.
>>>

>> Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox add-ons?
>> (or even Chrome add-ones?)

> Try and find out for yourself.

I have, and I do not like Opera one bit. The take-it-or-leave-it
all-in-one browser which people either like (<1%) or despise (99%, going
by the stats).

>But add-ons - what's that?

Try it and find out for yourself.

gene@none.net

      27th Mar 2010
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:07:31 +0100
occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On 27/03/2010 09:58, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:36:09 +0100
> > occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> >> Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox
> >> add-ons? (or even Chrome add-ones?)

> > Try and find out for yourself.

> I have, and I do not like Opera one bit. The take-it-or-leave-it
> all-in-one browser which people either like (<1%) or despise (99%,
> going by the stats).
>

> >But add-ons - what's that?

> Try it and find out for yourself.

You missed the point of the - I have, which is why FF is left as one
of my backup browsers, for sites that aren't programmed as well.
Actually, the percentages, taken worldwide, are creeping up toward 3%
or higher, which isn't much below Chrome. But then, Opera has a
majority of the mobile market, doesn't it?

Gene

Jerry Martin

      27th Mar 2010
Hello:

I like the features set in Opera and I'm not ambitious enough to go
searching for such add-ons in FireFox <vbg>.

Jerry

"occam" <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 26/03/2010 22:27, Jerry Martin wrote:
>> Robin:
>>
>> I'm hoping that you're correct and that there are fewer attacks on Opera.
>> But the main reason I use Opera is that I like several of its features.
>> But
>> that's my personal taste. To each their own when it comes to browsers
>> <g>.
>>

> Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox add-ons?
> (or even Chrome add-ones?)

Robin

      28th Mar 2010
I found Opera slowed down my computer and also pages took longer to load
than ie so I uninstalled it
I use firefox and when I want a real big website to load I then use Chrome
but firefox is still my main browser
robin

occam@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27/03/2010 09:58, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:36:09 +0100
>> occam <occam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> Any features that cannot be duplicated or bettered by Firefox add-ons?
>>> (or even Chrome add-ones?)

>> Try and find out for yourself.

> I have, and I do not like Opera one bit. The take-it-or-leave-it
> all-in-one browser which people either like (<1%) or despise (99%, going
> by the stats).
>

>>But add-ons - what's that?

> Try it and find out for yourself.

gene@none.net

      28th Mar 2010
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:02:17 -0400
"Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I found Opera slowed down my computer and also pages took longer to
> load than ie so I uninstalled it
> I use firefox and when I want a real big website to load I then use
> Chrome but firefox is still my main browser
> robin

I understand. The new versions of Opera are now comparable, if not
faster than FF, per my own experience and tests
(http://www.betanews.com/article/Safa...ond/1269632354)
Though at a certain speed who's counting. It's pretty much coming
around to the transmission line being the hold up. Choosing a
browser - to the extent people compare - it's a lot like who wears or
doesn't wear a walkman/ipod while exercising; i.e., it has a lot more
to do with personality and work style than which one is faster or
whatever.

Gene