OSX Drivers for Photosmart 7550

DManzaluni

      10th Aug 2009
Finally managed to get my Photosmart 7550 working but I can only use
it with VMWare Fusion in Leopard under BootCamp

Does anyone have any idea which drivers will work with Leopard please?
Tried googling it and only found a supposedly brand new driver on x-
drivers which works with 10.1. Even the Panther driver which wont
work with Leopard is newer than that one. It installs but wont work
with the printer at all. HP says tha tit is obsolete and wonr work
with the OS at all. Seems a pity after I have spent numerous years
trying to get it to work and have finally almost succeeded.

DManzaluni

      11th Aug 2009
On Aug 10, 8:45*pm, Matt Broughton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *DManzaluni <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Finally managed to get my Photosmart 7550 working but I can only use
> > it with VMWare Fusion in Leopard under BootCamp

> > Does anyone have any idea which drivers will work with Leopard please?
> > Tried googling it and only found a supposedly brand new driver on x-
> > drivers which works with 10.1. *Even the Panther driver which wont
> > work with Leopard is newer than that one. It installs but wont work
> > with the printer at all. HP says tha tit is obsolete and wonr work
> > with the OS at all. *Seems a pity after I have spent numerous years
> > trying to get it to work and have finally almost succeeded.

> Try the Gutenprint drivers from
> <http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php> or the hpijs drivers from
> <http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PhotoSmart_7550>
>
> --
> Matt Broughton
> Only relatives are absolute.

Thanks Matt, but how do you download this driver? The openprinting
site says that this works with OSX and somewhere it says that it works
with Leopard (once you have downloaded ghostscript) but the download
sends you to an HP site which wont download if you tell it you are
going to use it with OSX?? I wonder which distro you have to tell HP
you are using to get the right one to download for Leopard Does it
install automarically if you download Ghostscript or do you have to go
to a terminal and type in tar xvfz hplip-3.9.8.tar.gz etc etc etc
followed by the inevitable error messages you always seem to get in
Linux if you arent using something which is built into the distro?

DManzaluni

      12th Aug 2009
On Aug 11, 9:25*pm, Matt Broughton <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > Try the Gutenprint drivers from
> > > <http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php> or the hpijs drivers from
> > > <http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-PhotoSmart_7550>

> > Thanks Matt, but how do you download this driver? The openprinting
> > site says that this works with OSX and somewhere it says that it works
> > with Leopard (once you have downloaded ghostscript) *but the download
> > sends you to an HP site which wont download if you tell it you are
> > going to use it with OSX?? I wonder which distro you have to tell HP
> > you are using to get the right one to download for Leopard * Does it
> > install automarically if you download Ghostscript or do you have to go
> > to a terminal and type in tar xvfz hplip-3.9.8.tar.gz etc etc etc
> > followed by the inevitable error messages you always seem to get in
> > Linux if you arent using something which is built into the distro?

> I think you would have better luck --and certainly an easier time of
> it-- if you used the Gutenprint drivers that I listed first. *There is
> just one installer to download.
>
> I gave you the wrong link for the hpijs drivers. *If you want to use the
> hpijs drivers, use the OS X downloads from
> <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs>.
>
> --
> Matt Broughton
> Only relatives are absolute.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the gutenberg drivers are very easy to load and use:
Unfortunately they print on the printer in about 50dpi and whatever
setting is used, print a gigantic border around every photo, which
comes out with a sort of heavy gray cast.

Cant find anywhere to adjust this, either in photoshop or the printer
driver which (despite what they say on the site) wont let me adjust
the resolution.

(Might have to try struggling with the HPIJS drivers to see if they
print any better)

DManzaluni

      12th Aug 2009
On Aug 12, 11:53*am, DManzaluni <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 9:25*pm, Matt Broughton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > Thanks Matt, but how do you download this driver? The openprinting
> > > site says that this works with OSX and somewhere it says that it works
> > > with Leopard (once you have downloaded ghostscript) *but the download
> > > sends you to an HP site which wont download if you tell it you are
> > > going to use it with OSX?? I wonder which distro you have to tell HP
> > > you are using to get the right one to download for Leopard * Does it
> > > install automarically if you download Ghostscript or do you have to go
> > > to a terminal and type in tar xvfz hplip-3.9.8.tar.gz etc etc etc
> > > followed by the inevitable error messages you always seem to get in
> > > Linux if you arent using something which is built into the distro?

> > I think you would have better luck --and certainly an easier time of
> > it-- if you used the Gutenprint drivers that I listed first. *There is
> > just one installer to download.

> > I gave you the wrong link for the hpijs drivers. *If you want to use the
> > hpijs drivers, use the OS X downloads from
> > <http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs>.

> > --
> > Matt Broughton
> > Only relatives are absolute.- Hide quoted text -

> Yes, the gutenberg drivers are very easy to load and use:
> Unfortunately they print on the printer in about 50dpi and whatever
> setting is used, print a gigantic border around every photo, which
> comes out with a sort of heavy gray cast.
>
> Cant find anywhere to adjust this, either in photoshop or the printer
> driver which (despite what they say on the site) wont let me adjust
> the resolution.
>
> (Might have to try struggling with the HPIJS drivers to see if they
> print any better)- Hide quoted text -

And I am however now getting consistent :"the document failed to
print" error messages in BootCamp since I installed the Gutenberg
drivers in OSX!