OS X 10.6 and older scanners

Robert Peirce

      2nd Jan 2010
I have an Epson 2450 and a Nikon 4000 I currently use under OS X
10.4.11. My wife runs 10.5 and I am thinking of upgrading both
computers to 10.6. Can anybody tell me if I will run into problems with
these scanners and what to do about it?

tom koehler

      2nd Jan 2010
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:19:52 -0600, Robert Peirce wrote
(in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I have an Epson 2450 and a Nikon 4000 I currently use under OS X
> 10.4.11. My wife runs 10.5 and I am thinking of upgrading both
> computers to 10.6. Can anybody tell me if I will run into problems with
> these scanners and what to do about it?

Definitely check out the information that Jolly Roger gave you. Another thing
to consider, if you like, is a program called Vuescan. It is a "universal
application" and will work nicely with a large number of scanners that might
not be well supported by their mfr.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

David Blanchard

      2nd Jan 2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
tom koehler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:19:52 -0600, Robert Peirce wrote
>(in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> I have an Epson 2450 and a Nikon 4000 I currently use under OS X
>> 10.4.11. My wife runs 10.5 and I am thinking of upgrading both
>> computers to 10.6. Can anybody tell me if I will run into problems with
>> these scanners and what to do about it?

>Definitely check out the information that Jolly Roger gave you. Another thing
>to consider, if you like, is a program called Vuescan. It is a "universal
>application" and will work nicely with a large number of scanners that might
>not be well supported by their mfr.
>tom koehler

Another option to consider is to create a bootable external disk with
10.4.11 on it. Then, if there are problems, you could boot from the external drive
when you want to run NikonScan or the Epson software.

-db-

| David O. Blanchard (E-Mail Removed) Flagstaff, Arizona |

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net

      2nd Jan 2010
tom koehler <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Definitely check out the information that Jolly Roger gave
> you. Another thing to consider, if you like, is a program called
> Vuescan. It is a "universal application" and will work nicely with a
> large number of scanners that might not be well supported by their
> mfr.

The only thing keeping me from moving my iMac to 10.6 is
the fact that my Laserjet MFP M1522nf will not scan under
10.6. I love 10.6 on my MBP, but I need at least one
machine in the house on which I can scan.

Vuescan doesn't seem to be able to recognize a scanner which
is connected over the LAN. Or at least I was unable to get
it to recognize it. Am I missing something here? I'd love
to use Vuescan and get rid of HP's horrible software. And
move to 10.6 as well.