OS transfer to new harddrive

alvincamidge@hotmail.com

      21st Apr 2004
I'm tring to transfer the OS (win XP home ED.)to a new
hard drive but when I try to copy it over I can't copy
certian files (WIN32). there is no OS on the new drive
(BOOT)drive. I'm tring to replace the old boot drive. The
most important problem I have is that My Win xp is an
upgrade from WIN 98 and I lost the original WIN 98 CD
during house moving. How can I transfer the OS?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      21st Apr 2004
You should visit to the support website of the manufacturer of your new
hard drive and see if they have a free utility program that you can use to
accomplish this task. For example, if you have a new Western Digital drive,
you can download their free Data Lifeguard Tools which includes "drive-to-drive
copy capability" (Ref: http://support.wdc.com/download/).

Fujitsu
http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download...es/#diagnostic

IBM and Hitachi
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Maxtor
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm

Seagate
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

Western Digital
http://support.wdc.com/download/
www.westerndigital.com

Or you can purchase Norton Ghost and create an "image"
of your old hard drive:

Norton Ghost 2003
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

news:26df01c427e2$824775f0$(E-Mail Removed)...