OpenNetCF CAB install for MIPS/SH3 processor?

      23rd Dec 2004
I'm building an installer to include the OpenNETCF cab files with my
application. For wce300, ARM and ARMV4 I see OpenNetCF.SDF.ARM.CAB and
OpenNetCF.SDF.ARMV4.CAB. I don't see any similar files in the
....\wce300\mips or ...\wce300\sh3 folders.

Are these files missing, or does OpenNetCF not support MIPS and SH3
processors?

Thanks,
- Russ

Alex Feinman [MVP]

      23rd Dec 2004
Check under wce400\sh3 and wce400\mipsxxx
There are no PPCs based on sh3 or mips and regular CE devices are supported
by CF only on CE.NET 4.1+

--
Alex Feinman
---
"a" <"russell(a)ryba.net"> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm building an installer to include the OpenNETCF cab files with my
> application. For wce300, ARM and ARMV4 I see OpenNetCF.SDF.ARM.CAB and
> OpenNetCF.SDF.ARMV4.CAB. I don't see any similar files in the
> ...\wce300\mips or ...\wce300\sh3 folders.
>
> Are these files missing, or does OpenNetCF not support MIPS and SH3
> processors?
>
> Thanks,
> - Russ

Peter Foot [MVP]

      23rd Dec 2004
I hadn't noticed this myself before but these files are indeed missing.
Although this does affect only a small number of devices (Some Pocket PC
2000 devices only). The class libraries within the SDF are not themselves
processor specific, but it is the custom setup dll within the cab file which
necessitates the multiple versions of the cab. You could try as Alex has
suggested the version located
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows CE\wce400\sh3
and the mips equivalent.
If these doesn't install on the device, another option would be to include
the dlls within your own cab file.

Peter

--
Peter Foot
Windows Embedded MVP

"a" <"russell(a)ryba.net"> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm building an installer to include the OpenNETCF cab files with my
> application. For wce300, ARM and ARMV4 I see OpenNetCF.SDF.ARM.CAB and
> OpenNetCF.SDF.ARMV4.CAB. I don't see any similar files in the
> ...\wce300\mips or ...\wce300\sh3 folders.
>
> Are these files missing, or does OpenNetCF not support MIPS and SH3
> processors?
>
> Thanks,
> - Russ

      24th Dec 2004
Peter Foot [MVP] wrote:
> I hadn't noticed this myself before but these files are indeed missing.
> Although this does affect only a small number of devices (Some Pocket PC
> 2000 devices only). The class libraries within the SDF are not themselves
> processor specific, but it is the custom setup dll within the cab file which
> necessitates the multiple versions of the cab. You could try as Alex has
> suggested the version located
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
> 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000\Windows CE\wce400\sh3
> and the mips equivalent.

For the moment I've dropped support for the MIPS and SH3 versions. I'm
waiting for someone to mention they need it. Right now I just have Arm
and ArmV4. I think those are the only devices made in recent years so I
think it will work out OK.

> If these doesn't install on the device, another option would be to include
> the dlls within your own cab file.
>
> Peter

I was wondering about that. Right now I include the OpenNETCF CAB files
inside my cab file then launch it via a custom setup.dll. I still have
the possibility that the user may uninstall OpenNETCF and remove the DLL
files. I added a detector for in my application startup like this...

[vb for CF]
public sub form_load(...)
if OpenNETCFisMissing then
MessageBox.Show("Required OpenNETCF is Missing!","Good Bye!")
Application.Exit
end if
end sub

public function OpenNETCFisMissing as boolean
try
call TryUsingOpenNETCF
catch tlex as TypeLoadException
return TRUE
end try
return FALSE
end sub

public sub TryUsingOpenNETCF
'This will fail if assembly (DLL) is not on device
Dim UnusedVariable as OpenNETCF.MathEx
end sub