opening "owner" files after hard drive failure

=?Utf-8?B?UkNPQw==?=

      3rd Aug 2005
My hardrive posts a failure warning, and XP Home SP2 crashes soon after
booting. Reovery/restore does not work. I plan to install a new hard drive
and reinstall the OS.

However, I can recover some data when the faulty drive is slaved in a second
PC, but the "owner" files are not "authorized" to be accessed.

Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
after I install a new drive and OS?

Thanks!

Bob I

      3rd Aug 2005
Yes. Provided of course they were not encrypted and no recovery
certificate. Simply "Take Ownership". See Help and Support on the subject.

RCOC wrote:

> My hardrive posts a failure warning, and XP Home SP2 crashes soon after
> booting. Reovery/restore does not work. I plan to install a new hard drive
> and reinstall the OS.
>
> However, I can recover some data when the faulty drive is slaved in a second
> PC, but the "owner" files are not "authorized" to be accessed.
>
> Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
> after I install a new drive and OS?
>
> Thanks!

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      3rd Aug 2005
RCOC wrote:

> My hardrive posts a failure warning, and XP Home SP2 crashes soon after
> booting. Reovery/restore does not work. I plan to install a new hard drive
> and reinstall the OS.
>
> However, I can recover some data when the faulty drive is slaved in a second
> PC, but the "owner" files are not "authorized" to be accessed.
>
> Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
> after I install a new drive and OS?

Hi,

Taking ownership should help:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder

Note this one from KB308421:

<quote>
If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must
start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account
that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

=?Utf-8?B?UkNPQw==?=

      3rd Aug 2005
Thanks so much!

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> RCOC wrote:
>
> > My hardrive posts a failure warning, and XP Home SP2 crashes soon after
> > booting. Reovery/restore does not work. I plan to install a new hard drive
> > and reinstall the OS.
> >
> > However, I can recover some data when the faulty drive is slaved in a second
> > PC, but the "owner" files are not "authorized" to be accessed.
> >
> > Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
> > after I install a new drive and OS?

> Hi,
>
> Taking ownership should help:
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>

> Note this one from KB308421:
>
> <quote>
> If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must
> start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account
> that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
> </quote>

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

=?Utf-8?B?UkNPQw==?=