PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Opening Landscape/Portrait Word 2000 doc in Word 2002

 
 
Dave Waller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2003
Hi,

I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs that I
created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay by
people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try, it
brings Word 2002 down.

Obviously, I hope this is something that I can fix/change
at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking my
client to do something at their end.

Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus scans
come back clean.

Hope someone can help?
Many thanks,
Dave


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob Schneider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2003
Dave Waller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs that I
> created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay by
> people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
> Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try, it
> brings Word 2002 down.
>
> Obviously, I hope this is something that I can fix/change
> at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking my
> client to do something at their end.
>
> Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus scans
> come back clean.
>
> Hope someone can help?
> Many thanks,
> Dave
>
>


Very strange. Unless there is an obvious cause known to others, without
using your clients' Word 2002 setups (which might be flawed), you will
have trouble debugging this.

Can you avoid debugging by sending them not Word documents, but Adobe
PDF's of these documents? Do they really need the Word source?

Also, does same result occur (sorry--forgot you are not able debug with
client's help) if you send them in RTF format?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Waller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2003
STOP PRESS

I've just had an update from my 'other' source and have
confirmed this with my client. The problem is not opening
the file but printing it.

Opening the file takes a long time but it does eventually
open. The document can then be previewed and looks fine,
i.e. a mix of portrait and landscape pages. However, hit
the print button and Word dies.

The only observation is that the tables in the landscape
pages look like they go beyond the right margin. However,
this prints okay in Word 2000 yet kills Word 2002.

Hope the additional info helps.

Rgds,
Dave.

>-----Original Message-----
>Many thanks for the quick response.
>
>I've managed to get over the initial hurdle by providing
>the docs in PDF. However, I'm contractually obliged to
>send in Word 2000 format, hence will need to resolve
>this. I'm trying to sweettalk my boss into obtaining

some
>sort of 'loan' Word 2002 laptop so that I can have a go

at
>replicating this myself. I have verified the problem via
>other installations of Word 2002, i.e. not my client's
>installation and the problem still persists - hope it's
>not an installation problem as I don't fancy telling my
>client that they've got it wrong.
>
>All help deeply appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Dave.
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Dave Waller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs

>that I
>>> created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay

>by
>>> people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
>>> Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try,

>it
>>> brings Word 2002 down.
>>>
>>> Obviously, I hope this is something that I can

>fix/change
>>> at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking

>my
>>> client to do something at their end.
>>>
>>> Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus

>scans
>>> come back clean.
>>>
>>> Hope someone can help?
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Very strange. Unless there is an obvious cause known to

>others, without
>>using your clients' Word 2002 setups (which might be

>flawed), you will
>>have trouble debugging this.
>>
>>Can you avoid debugging by sending them not Word

>documents, but Adobe
>>PDF's of these documents? Do they really need the Word

>source?
>>
>>Also, does same result occur (sorry--forgot you are not

>able debug with
>>client's help) if you send them in RTF format?
>>
>>.
>>

>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob Schneider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Jul 2003
Dave Waller wrote:

> STOP PRESS
>
> I've just had an update from my 'other' source and have
> confirmed this with my client. The problem is not opening
> the file but printing it.
>
> Opening the file takes a long time but it does eventually
> open. The document can then be previewed and looks fine,
> i.e. a mix of portrait and landscape pages. However, hit
> the print button and Word dies.
>
> The only observation is that the tables in the landscape
> pages look like they go beyond the right margin. However,
> this prints okay in Word 2000 yet kills Word 2002.
>
> Hope the additional info helps.
>
> Rgds,
> Dave.
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Many thanks for the quick response.
>>
>>I've managed to get over the initial hurdle by providing
>>the docs in PDF. However, I'm contractually obliged to
>>send in Word 2000 format, hence will need to resolve
>>this. I'm trying to sweettalk my boss into obtaining

>
> some
>
>>sort of 'loan' Word 2002 laptop so that I can have a go

>
> at
>
>>replicating this myself. I have verified the problem via
>>other installations of Word 2002, i.e. not my client's
>>installation and the problem still persists - hope it's
>>not an installation problem as I don't fancy telling my
>>client that they've got it wrong.
>>
>>All help deeply appreciated.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Dave.
>>
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>Dave Waller wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>I've sent my client several landscape/portrait docs

>>
>>that I
>>
>>>>created in Word 2000. These get opened and read okay

>>
>>by
>>
>>>>people with Word 97 or Word 2000. However, those with
>>>>Word 2002 can't open the documents and when they try,

>>
>>it
>>
>>>>brings Word 2002 down.
>>>>
>>>>Obviously, I hope this is something that I can

>>
>>fix/change
>>
>>>>at my end within the document as I don't fancy asking

>>
>>my
>>
>>>>client to do something at their end.
>>>>
>>>>Compatability options are set to Word 2000 and virus

>>
>>scans
>>
>>>>come back clean.
>>>>
>>>>Hope someone can help?
>>>>Many thanks,
>>>>Dave
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>Very strange. Unless there is an obvious cause known to

>>
>>others, without
>>
>>>using your clients' Word 2002 setups (which might be

>>
>>flawed), you will
>>
>>>have trouble debugging this.
>>>
>>>Can you avoid debugging by sending them not Word

>>
>>documents, but Adobe
>>
>>>PDF's of these documents? Do they really need the Word

>>
>>source?
>>
>>>Also, does same result occur (sorry--forgot you are not

>>
>>able debug with
>>
>>>client's help) if you send them in RTF format?
>>>
>>>.
>>>

>>
>>.
>>


If you are contractually responsible to provide in Word 2000 format,
then why are you worrying about Word 2002? Had to ask.

It's *kind* of you to work it, and I'm sure it does not hurt your
relations with you customer to be doing this ... but is this really your
problem?

My hunch is that this not a Word 2002 problem, but a printer driver
problem on the client's machine.

But without working it with them, and you and them unwilling to accept
the possiblity of a fault on the customer's machine ... I wouldn't touch
this with the proverbial 10-meter pole and instead get back to writing.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opening A word Doc using VbA Word doc opens but minimizes Danny Microsoft Excel Programming 5 30th Jan 2009 07:28 PM
converting word doc in vista to word doc in windows 2000 jockster1077 Windows Vista General Discussion 4 28th Jan 2008 10:36 PM
Word 2003 doc and Word 2000 doc differences Old-timer Microsoft Word Document Management 4 18th Dec 2005 01:30 AM
Re: Differences between Word 2000 doc saved as word 6.0 and Word 6.0 doc Jezebel Microsoft Word Document Management 0 3rd Jun 2004 10:21 PM
Opening Word 2000 doc's in Word 2000 Steven Thompson Microsoft Word Document Management 1 4th Jul 2003 12:35 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:11 PM.