opening extracted files

=?Utf-8?B?TmFkaW5l?=

      24th Aug 2007
I downloaded a self extracting file off the internet, but when I unzip the
files nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do? A window
pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else
happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were
downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.

=?Utf-8?B?T3B0YW4=?=

      20th Oct 2007
I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution to the problem?

"Nadine" wrote:

> I downloaded a self extracting file off the internet, but when I unzip the
> files nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do? A window
> pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else
> happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were
> downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.

Richard Urban

      20th Oct 2007
Not all self extracting zip files are auto executing. If it is not, you have
to go to the extracted location and run the executable.

BTW, you should not really use the desktop for anything except shortcuts to
files that are stored elsewhere in proper folders. The shortcuts are usually
pointers to executables that run an installed program. It's not law - it's
just good practice.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Optan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution to the problem?
>
> "Nadine" wrote:
>
>> I downloaded a self extracting file off the internet, but when I unzip
>> the
>> files nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do? A
>> window
>> pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else
>> happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were
>> downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.

=?Utf-8?B?T3B0YW4=?=

      20th Oct 2007
I tried to extract the documents from the zip file to a folder under "My
Documents." Then, when I open the new folder, it is empty. This problem only
occurs on Vista. When attempted to extract the same files onto a friend's
computer running XP, I do not encounter the same problem.

Any suggestions?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Not all self extracting zip files are auto executing. If it is not, you have
> to go to the extracted location and run the executable.
>
> BTW, you should not really use the desktop for anything except shortcuts to
> files that are stored elsewhere in proper folders. The shortcuts are usually
> pointers to executables that run an installed program. It's not law - it's
> just good practice.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> "Optan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution to the problem?
> >
> > "Nadine" wrote:
> >
> >> I downloaded a self extracting file off the internet, but when I unzip
> >> the
> >> files nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do? A
> >> window
> >> pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else
> >> happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were
> >> downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.

R. C. White

      22nd Oct 2007
Hi, Optan.

Aha! "My Documents" does not exist in Vista - except as a "Junction" to
point the way to the real location for programs that have not yet been
updated from the WinXP folder structure.

The equivalent folder in Vista is probably Users\Optan (or whatever
Username)\Documents. But you might need to explore (and maybe consult Help
and Support) to find the exact destination.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Optan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I tried to extract the documents from the zip file to a folder under "My
> Documents." Then, when I open the new folder, it is empty. This problem
> only
> occurs on Vista. When attempted to extract the same files onto a friend's
> computer running XP, I do not encounter the same problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Not all self extracting zip files are auto executing. If it is not, you
>> have
>> to go to the extracted location and run the executable.
>>
>> BTW, you should not really use the desktop for anything except shortcuts
>> files that are stored elsewhere in proper folders. The shortcuts are
>> usually
>> pointers to executables that run an installed program. It's not law -
>> it's
>> just good practice.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Optan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution to the problem?

lukecal

      29th Dec 2007
I encountered the same problem with an .exe file.
Under Windows 98ME the file was extracting himself in several files and
directories.
In VISTA nothing happens.
Whe I right click on the file, I dont see the extract option.

Lukecal

---------