Old home page in website view FrontPage 2002

Candace

      20th Nov 2009
I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page had
a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows the
old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new versions.
If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found in
the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache files.
Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
--
Candace

Ronx

      20th Nov 2009
Open the online website in FrontPage and check the files - it sounds like
you have index.htm and index.html, but one is your new home page and the
other is the old. It also looks as if the old page extension has precedence
in the server default pages configuration.

if this is the case, delete the old home page, and rename the new with the
other extension. Then do the same (renaming) on your local copy of the web.

Note that you may be using default.htm and default.html for home pages, or
some other combination - compare the files on the server with the files in
the local copy.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

"Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page
> had
> a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
> preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows
> the
> old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
> versions.
> If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
> home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found
> in
> the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
> thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
> files.
> Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
> --
> Candace

Candace

      22nd Nov 2009
How do I check the files in the online website? (Sorry, I just have a copy of
the software - that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. The fact I actually
created a website with what little I know still amazes me.) The local copy of
my website shows the new home page as index.htm (all the new pages are .htm).
I can't find the old page anywhere. Where (and how) do I look for it? Thanks.
--
Candace

"Ronx" wrote:

> Open the online website in FrontPage and check the files - it sounds like
> you have index.htm and index.html, but one is your new home page and the
> other is the old. It also looks as if the old page extension has precedence
> in the server default pages configuration.
>
> if this is the case, delete the old home page, and rename the new with the
> other extension. Then do the same (renaming) on your local copy of the web.
>
> Note that you may be using default.htm and default.html for home pages, or
> some other combination - compare the files on the server with the files in
> the local copy.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds
> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
>
> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>

> "Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page
> > had
> > a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
> > preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows
> > the
> > old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
> > versions.
> > If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
> > home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found
> > in
> > the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
> > thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
> > files.
> > Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
> > --
> > Candace

> .

Ronx

      22nd Nov 2009
If the remote site (on the server) has FrontPage extensions, then open
FrontPage
File->Open Web (or File->Open Web if using FrontPage 2003)
In the dialogue that opens, type in the URL for your web site - the same URL
you publish to.

Check the file name and extension for the home page - the page with the
house icon.

If it is index.html, then right-click on index.htm and choose "Set as home
page" - this may give a prompt to change some hyperlinks, say NO.

Rename index.html to index-old.html. This will stop the server thinking this
is the home page. If you are asked to update any hyperlinks, say NO.

Both these next renames may give a warning about renaming the home page and
breaking links - click OK.

Rename index.htm to index.html - again say no to updating links.
Rename this page back to index.htm - this time agree to update hyperlinks.

The result of all this renaming is that the home page will be index.htm, and
all pages should using this as the home page.
Finally open the web browser, and browse to your web site - use a URL
similar to http://www.example.com
Do not add /index.htm. This checks that index.htm is on the list of default
pages for the server. If you get a 404 error (unlikely, but it can happen),
then rename the home page to index.html, and allow all links to update. You
will also have to rename the home page in your local copy of the site.
--
> [...]

>> > a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the
>> > browser
>> > preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view
>> > shows
>> > the
>> > old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
>> > versions.
>> > If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the
>> > new
>> > home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be
>> > found
>> > in
>> > the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the
>> > whole
>> > thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
>> > files.
>> > Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!

Tina Clarke

      22nd Nov 2009
"Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page
>had
> a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
> preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows
> the
> old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
> versions.
> If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
> home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found
> in
> the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
> thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
> files.
> Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
> --
> Candace

What is the link to your website?

Tina
Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
http://www.frontpage-to-expression.c...-giveaway.html
Enter to be in with a chance of winning EW 3.0 plus more

Candace

      23rd Nov 2009
www.hyattindexing.com

I got as far as File>Open>typed in URL...how or where does one check for the
file name and extension? Yeah, I know, getting stuck at step three when there
are a whole page of more steps is not a good sign! Thanks for your help and
patience.
--
Candace

"Tina Clarke" wrote:

> "Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page
> >had
> > a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
> > preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows
> > the
> > old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
> > versions.
> > If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
> > home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found
> > in
> > the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
> > thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
> > files.
> > Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
> > --
> > Candace

> What is the link to your website?
>
> Tina
> Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
> http://www.frontpage-to-expression.c...-giveaway.html
> Enter to be in with a chance of winning EW 3.0 plus more
>
> .

Ronx

      23rd Nov 2009
File->Open Web
Type in the url - for example http://www.example.com (use your own domain)
Click Open
log in to the server - a dialogue will open requesting your userid and
password - the same as you use for publishing

Fill in the fields and click OK
When the web site opens, switch to Folders View

In the list of files look for index.htm and/or index.html

The rest is copied from my previous post:

> [...]

>> > versions.
>> > If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the
>> > new
>> > home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be
>> > found
>> > in
>> > the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the
>> > whole
>> > thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
>> > files.
>> > Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
>> > --
>> > Candace

>> What is the link to your website?
>>
>> Tina
>> Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
>> http://www.frontpage-to-expression.c...-giveaway.html
>> Enter to be in with a chance of winning EW 3.0 plus more

Candace

      24th Nov 2009
When I File>Open, put URL, click "Ok" the website is there although I don't
see what the difference is between the before opening web view and this view.
How do I "log into server" where is the dialogue box? Thanks.
--
Candace

"Ronx" wrote:

> File->Open Web
> Type in the url - for example http://www.example.com (use your own domain)
> Click Open
> log in to the server - a dialogue will open requesting your userid and
> password - the same as you use for publishing
>
> Fill in the fields and click OK
> When the web site opens, switch to Folders View
>
> In the list of files look for index.htm and/or index.html
>

> The rest is copied from my previous post:
>
> Check the file name and extension for the home page - the page with the
> house icon.
>
> If it is index.html, then right-click on index.htm and choose "Set as home
> page" - this may give a prompt to change some hyperlinks, say NO.
>
> Rename index.html to index-old.html. This will stop the server thinking this
> is the home page. If you are asked to update any hyperlinks, say NO.
>
> Both these next renames may give a warning about renaming the home page and
> breaking links - click OK.
>
> Rename index.htm to index.html - again say no to updating links.
> Rename this page back to index.htm - this time agree to update hyperlinks.
>
> The result of all this renaming is that the home page will be index.htm, and
> all pages should using this as the home page.
> Finally open the web browser, and browse to your web site - use a URL
> similar to http://www.example.com
> Do not add /index.htm. This checks that index.htm is on the list of default
> pages for the server. If you get a 404 error (unlikely, but it can happen),
> then rename the home page to index.html, and allow all links to update. You
> will also have to rename the home page in your local copy of the site.
>

> --
> Ron Symonds
> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
>
> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>

> "Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > www.hyattindexing.com
> >
> > I got as far as File>Open>typed in URL...how or where does one check for
> > the
> > file name and extension? Yeah, I know, getting stuck at step three when
> > there
> > are a whole page of more steps is not a good sign! Thanks for your help
> > and
> > patience.
> > --
> > Candace
> >

> > "Tina Clarke" wrote:
> >
> >> "Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> >> What is the link to your website?
> >>
> >> Tina
> >> Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
> >> http://www.frontpage-to-expression.c...-giveaway.html
> >> Enter to be in with a chance of winning EW 3.0 plus more
> >>
> >> .
> >>

> .

Ronx

      24th Nov 2009
Do not use File->Open - this will only open a single file. Use File->Open
Web

What URL are you typing in?

--
> [...]

>> happen),
>> then rename the home page to index.html, and allow all links to update.
>> You
>> will also have to rename the home page in your local copy of the site.
>>

>> --
>> Ron Symonds
>> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
>>
>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
>>

>> "Candace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > www.hyattindexing.com
>> >
>> > I got as far as File>Open>typed in URL...how or where does one check
>> > for
>> > the
>> > file name and extension? Yeah, I know, getting stuck at step three when
>> > there
>> > are a whole page of more steps is not a good sign! Thanks for your help

Candace

      25th Nov 2009
Good Lord, you can't imagine how confusing this is to me! But I think I did
it, and it's working, but I don't think I followed your steps correctly. When
I got to the step to change the index.htm to index.html, it wouldn't let me
stating there was already one by that name. So I just deleted the
index-old.html. I may have screwed up, but the old home page is gone and the
new one is working fine!!!!! (I'm trying not to hold my breath in case I
messed something up and haven't realized it yet.) Thank you for your help! If
it blows up or something, I might come back for more advice. THANK YOU!!!
--
Candace

"Ronx" wrote:

> [...]
> >> and
> >> all pages should using this as the home page.
> >> Finally open the web browser, and browse to your web site - use a URL
> >> similar to http://www.example.com
> >> Do not add /index.htm. This checks that index.htm is on the list of
> >> default
> >> pages for the server. If you get a 404 error (unlikely, but it can
> >> happen),
> >> then rename the home page to index.html, and allow all links to update.
> >> You
> >> will also have to rename the home page in your local copy of the site.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ron Symonds
> >> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> >> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
> >>
> >> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.

Frontpage 2002 website design compatible with Frontpage 2003? =?Utf-8?B?SmF5IFdpbGxpYW1z?= Microsoft Frontpage 1 13th Jul 2006 07:07 PM
Can I view a frontpage 2003 website using frontpage 2000? =?Utf-8?B?VFJC?= Microsoft Frontpage 1 6th Sep 2005 03:15 AM
Old computer, old Frontpage. New computer, new frontpage =?Utf-8?B?Y2hldmFsZG9j?= Microsoft Frontpage 2 20th Aug 2005 11:17 AM
Can I password protect a website page in FrontPage 2002? =?Utf-8?B?TWFyeSBMb3UgOik=?= Microsoft Frontpage 7 22nd Feb 2005 05:03 AM
Making a password protected page on a website in Frontpage 2002 Nathan Daniels Microsoft Frontpage 3 21st Apr 2004 04:22 PM