OL 2003 opens then closes instantaneously

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      15th Oct 2006
I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I renamed
the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...

OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.

All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
OL2003 has never worked since.

I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any help
anyone can offer.

William Lefkovics

      15th Oct 2006
Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?

Have you tried reinstalling?

"slowsteadystudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I
>renamed
> the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...
>
> OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.
>
> All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
> OL2003 has never worked since.
>
> I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any
> help
> anyone can offer.

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      15th Oct 2006
Itr shuts down cleanly, no trace, and I did try re-installing, after my
original note, and still this morning, up and down....

On my new data-less profile it shuts down much faster, as it does not scan
files, first.

Many thanks for the help... Any further suggestions.... 2007?

sss

"William Lefkovics" wrote:

> Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?
>
> Have you tried reinstalling?
>
> "slowsteadystudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I
> >renamed
> > the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...
> >
> > OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.
> >
> > All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
> > OL2003 has never worked since.
> >
> > I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any
> > help
> > anyone can offer.

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      15th Oct 2006
Hi William:

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to respond earlier, before the lunch meeting I had, but once I hit
"send" this bulletin board said there was an error,and I would heve to post
again.... I'm not actually paranoid, but......

Yes, I re-installed, and no, it is not running in the background; when it
shuts down, it simply vanishes....

Before I created the new profile, it would take a while to review the PST
files, because of the prior shutdown, but with the new profile, with no data
in the files, it is almost instantaneous.

I am hampered by lack of documentation....

By scanning and fixing the files, and then by creating a new profile with no
data, I have established that it does not seem to be a corrupt profile, or
corrupt data, and the initial issue with the "....PDF...." add-in seems to
imply that there is a corrupt add-in, and I thought that re-installing OL
2003 would solve that issue (It doesn't stay up long enough to go to "tools".)

Maybe if I simply delete all traces, and re-install fresh? (I could also
click my heels 3 times, but I would rather identify and address a real issue!)

Would the 2007 beta be a workable alternative at this stage?

Many thanks for your help.

sss

"William Lefkovics" wrote:

> Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?
>
> Have you tried reinstalling?
>
> "slowsteadystudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I
> >renamed
> > the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...
> >
> > OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.
> >
> > All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
> > OL2003 has never worked since.
> >
> > I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any
> > help
> > anyone can offer.

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      16th Oct 2006
Two more things....

Opening in safe mode makes no difference.

When I open and watch processes in task manager, it starts with 5,608K
memory used, then once I select a profile, it goes to12000+,then 15,388 then
19,998K, then stops.

It stops pretty much as soon as it hits the 19998K memory size.

In safe mode, the memory used is smaller, but the issue is the same.

sss

,"William Lefkovics" wrote:

> Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?
>
> Have you tried reinstalling?
>
> "slowsteadystudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I
> >renamed
> > the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...
> >
> > OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.
> >
> > All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
> > OL2003 has never worked since.
> >
> > I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any
> > help
> > anyone can offer.

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      16th Oct 2006
One more note.... when I set up my new profile, I used one POP3 server, and
the test message made it back to me, though I had to use web-mail to see it.

jw

"William Lefkovics" wrote:

> Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?
>
> Have you tried reinstalling?
>
> "slowsteadystudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I detected and repaired, I scanned and repaired all the .pst files, I
> >renamed
> > the outcmd.dat and *.SRS files, and treid opening in safe mode...
> >
> > OL2003 loads and comes up and then immediately vanishes.
> >
> > All this began with a reference to a pdf add-in, which I agreed to drop...
> > OL2003 has never worked since.
> >
> > I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any
> > help
> > anyone can offer.

=?Utf-8?B?c2xvd3N0ZWFkeXN0dWR5?=

      27th Oct 2006
deleted and reloaded Office, created a new profile, opened Outlook in safe
mode, (it finally stayed up) then deleted all the add-ins...

Took a long time...

Why is there so little documentaiotn?