Oh oh! Big Mistake - Ghost Network Drive

George Hester

      17th Oct 2006
I signed into my Windows 2000 Server with a Domain User Account. While in
there I "run as" mplayer2.exe with the Domain Admin Account. When I chose
Open in mplayer2 it saw the Network drives that I would have seem if I had
been signed in as the Administrator. The Network drive I chose to open a
media file is not available in the Domain User Account I had signesd in as.
In any case in Windows Explorer I now have an O drive that cannot be
disconnected "Network not found" is the error message. Well I thought I
would just sign into the server with the Admin account and I find the O
drive Network Drive cannot be disconnected "Network not found." Believe it
or not when I select the drive it shows me a drive on a different machine in
my network namely the machine I had used to open the media file when I had
been signed in as a Domain User. Help! How do I get rid of this Ghost
Network Drive?

--

George Hester
_________________________________

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      17th Oct 2006

"George Hester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I signed into my Windows 2000 Server with a Domain User Account. While in
> there I "run as" mplayer2.exe with the Domain Admin Account. When I chose
> Open in mplayer2 it saw the Network drives that I would have seem if I had
> been signed in as the Administrator. The Network drive I chose to open a
> media file is not available in the Domain User Account I had signesd in

as.
> In any case in Windows Explorer I now have an O drive that cannot be
> disconnected "Network not found" is the error message. Well I thought I
> would just sign into the server with the Admin account and I find the O
> drive Network Drive cannot be disconnected "Network not found." Believe

it
> or not when I select the drive it shows me a drive on a different machine

in
> my network namely the machine I had used to open the media file when I had
> been signed in as a Domain User. Help! How do I get rid of this Ghost
> Network Drive?
>
> --
>
> George Hester
> _________________________________

From a Command Prompt run these commands:
net use * /del
net use /persistent:no

Now reboot your machine to clear past connections.

George Hester

      17th Oct 2006
Yikes! net use */del resulted in:

System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.

OK the next one completed successfully. Shutting down. Thanks Pegasus hope
it works. Back in a few.

--

George Hester
_________________________________
"Pegasus (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "George Hester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I signed into my Windows 2000 Server with a Domain User Account. While

in
> > there I "run as" mplayer2.exe with the Domain Admin Account. When I

chose
> > Open in mplayer2 it saw the Network drives that I would have seem if I

had
> > been signed in as the Administrator. The Network drive I chose to open

> > media file is not available in the Domain User Account I had signesd in

> as.
> > In any case in Windows Explorer I now have an O drive that cannot be
> > disconnected "Network not found" is the error message. Well I thought I
> > would just sign into the server with the Admin account and I find the O
> > drive Network Drive cannot be disconnected "Network not found." Believe

> it
> > or not when I select the drive it shows me a drive on a different

machine
> in
> > my network namely the machine I had used to open the media file when I

had
> > been signed in as a Domain User. Help! How do I get rid of this Ghost
> > Network Drive?
> >
> > --
> >
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________
> >

> From a Command Prompt run these commands:
> net use * /del
> net use /persistent:no
>
> Now reboot your machine to clear past connections.

Dave Patrick

      17th Oct 2006
Note that there's a space between * and /

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"George Hester" wrote:
| Yikes! net use */del resulted in:
|
| System error 67 has occurred.
| The network name cannot be found.
|
| OK the next one completed successfully. Shutting down. Thanks Pegasus
hope
| it works. Back in a few.
|

| --
|
| George Hester

George Hester

      17th Oct 2006
Oops. Thanks all its gone. Not a smart thing to do on a Domain Server
since the fix for this requires a reboot.

--

George Hester
_________________________________
"Dave Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Note that there's a space between * and /
>
> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "George Hester" wrote:
> | Yikes! net use */del resulted in:
> |
> | System error 67 has occurred.
> | The network name cannot be found.
> |
> | OK the next one completed successfully. Shutting down. Thanks Pegasus
> hope
> | it works. Back in a few.
> |

> | --
> |
> | George Hester

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      17th Oct 2006
As Dave Patrick says, you omitted a space. It may be useful
to make you aware of some general rules when issuing commands
from the command prompt. A command consists of these elements:

- The command itself. If it contains embedded spaces then it
must be surrounded by double quotes:
"c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\winword.exe"

- The parameters. They must separated from each other and from
the command with a suitable delimiter, usually a space:

net.exe use * /del (4 parameters!)

You broke the second rule.