office 2007 dialogs very slow :(

Sergei Shelukhin

      3rd Jan 2007
I recently had word 2007 installed and one thing that puzzled me was
that open file/save file dialogs are very slow.
It takes 10-15 seconds for Word to show the contents of the folder.
There are few files in my working folders, so the file count is not an
issue.
File manager and dialogs in other programs show the same folders
normally too.

I checked it with filemon and that's what I found out.
Turns out every time I browse to a folder word
queries the whole subfolder tree with all the sub-subfolders,
making many queries to each subfoilder, such as this:

18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
Open Directory Access: All
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation:
*
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
SUCCESS FileNameInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
FileBothDirectoryInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
SUCCESS FileNameInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
SUCCESS FileNameInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
SUCCESS FileNameInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ NO
MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 CLOSE
D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS

This is a part of ~3000 entries I got when I opened
D:\workplace\current\apps\ folder.

Plus, there are a bunch of failed (file not found) queries to files
with strange names such as

18:24:01 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
D:\workplace\current\ocf_ QebiesnrMkudrfcoIaamtykdDa:$DATA FILE
NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

Wtf is this?! How do I turn off this crap?

Patrick Schmid [MVP]

      3rd Jan 2007
You can't.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Sergei Shelukhin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I recently had word 2007 installed and one thing that puzzled me was
> that open file/save file dialogs are very slow.
> It takes 10-15 seconds for Word to show the contents of the folder.
> There are few files in my working folders, so the file count is not an
> issue.
> File manager and dialogs in other programs show the same folders
> normally too.
>
> I checked it with filemon and that's what I found out.
> Turns out every time I browse to a folder word
> queries the whole subfolder tree with all the sub-subfolders,
> making many queries to each subfoilder, such as this:
>
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
> D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
> Open Directory Access: All
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
> D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
> FileBothDirectoryInformation:
> *
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
> INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
> SUCCESS FileNameInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
> D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
> FileBothDirectoryInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
> INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
> SUCCESS FileNameInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
> INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
> SUCCESS FileNameInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
> INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
> SUCCESS FileNameInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
> D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ NO
> MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
> 18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 CLOSE
> D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
>
> This is a part of ~3000 entries I got when I opened
> D:\workplace\current\apps\ folder.
>
> Plus, there are a bunch of failed (file not found) queries to files
> with strange names such as
>
> 18:24:01 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
> D:\workplace\current\ocf_ QebiesnrMkudrfcoIaamtykdDa:$DATA FILE
> NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All
>
> Wtf is this?! How do I turn off this crap?

Sergei Shelukhin

      8th Jan 2007
Ok, actually you can.
I am not 100% sure if file access and slowness are related, and too
lazy to check, but the slowness disappeared when I removed Google
Desktop thingie that got automatically installed with something (I got
Office 2007 way after GD, and GD after Office 2003 so it may have been
moved from previous version of Office or smth).
I hope that helps if anyone else has this problem