off topic but maybe someone can help me please

robinb

      22nd Jul 2009
I just added memory to my computer
It is xp pro sp3 dual core
it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
I upped the virtual memory to 4605
max 9210
4605 was the recommended by xp
i doubled it for the max
the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you here
what you think
I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot find
a thing about what to set the maximum
robin

--
Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

robinb

      22nd Jul 2009
also should I have it checked To have Windows choose the best paging file
size, by clicking System managed size? and if yes does this bypass the size
I put in and determine its own size for both mim and max?

robin

"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just added memory to my computer
> It is xp pro sp3 dual core
> it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
> I upped the virtual memory to 4605
> max 9210
> 4605 was the recommended by xp
> i doubled it for the max
> the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you
> here what you think
> I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot
> find a thing about what to set the maximum
> robin
>
> --
> Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
> R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

Ǝиçεl

      22nd Jul 2009
Hi robinb,

Virtual Memory in Windows XP
<http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php>

Problems with Virtual Memory
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Remenber to click in the third line to update the page in Aumha page.

Using a partition for your swap file Vista
<http://www.windvis.com/using-a-partition-for-your-swap-file>
-=-

robinb

      22nd Jul 2009

engel I know
believe me I have researched it but I wanted some feedback from others in
here if I set it correctly
robin

"Ǝиçεl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi robinb,
>
> Virtual Memory in Windows XP
> <http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php>
>
> Problems with Virtual Memory
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> Remenber to click in the third line to update the page in Aumha page.
>
> Using a partition for your swap file Vista
> <http://www.windvis.com/using-a-partition-for-your-swap-file>
> -=-

Don Carlson

      22nd Jul 2009
Robin,

I haven't looked at this on my XP machine in a long time. I discovered that
when I went in there that I had it personally set to "custom" and the
difference that I had it set to was - high was double of the low. I don't
remember when I did this but my computer only has 2GB and it works just
fine. Since you brought this up I decided to set it to "System managed size"
and I don't see anything different with performance or functionality.

I did write down what they were and maybe something will come up to have me
change back to custom but for now I will let the system handle it.

--
Don
"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
I just added memory to my computer
It is xp pro sp3 dual core
it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
I upped the virtual memory to 4605
max 9210
4605 was the recommended by xp
i doubled it for the max
the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you here
what you think
I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot find
a thing about what to set the maximum
robin

--
Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

Ǝиçεl

      22nd Jul 2009
The best feedback you will find it in the right place.

Try XP newsgroups
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage&cat=en_US_6601d291-cdf9-431a-8374-a8037de637eb&lang=en&cr=US>

You will find 21 different newsgroups in XP
-=-

"robinb" wrote:

> engel I know
> believe me I have researched it but I wanted some feedback from others in
> here if I set it correctly
> robin
>
> "Ǝиçεl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi robinb,
> >
> > Virtual Memory in Windows XP
> > <http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php>
> >
> > Problems with Virtual Memory
> > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
> >
> > Remenber to click in the third line to update the page in Aumha page.
> >
> > Using a partition for your swap file Vista
> > <http://www.windvis.com/using-a-partition-for-your-swap-file>
> > -=-

robinb

      22nd Jul 2009
that is what I did I doubled the high of low
all my machines are set this way but they have a gig. this was the first
time I put 3gigs on and was wondering if what I did for the "high" was ok
then on the internet I read that you can set it to system managed size and I
was wondering if it takes the custom levels or puts its own values on

funny though my other machine which I bought with 3gigs in it, has it set at
2046 and the high 4092. It actually came this way but it is a dual 2 core
so I am wondering since it is a dual 2 core if that makes a difference.

If it is better to set it at System manage size- then that is the way I
would go but I would like to hear from others especially Bill what he thinks
it should be set at

thanks
robin

"Don Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eKODi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin,
>
> I haven't looked at this on my XP machine in a long time. I discovered
> that
> when I went in there that I had it personally set to "custom" and the
> difference that I had it set to was - high was double of the low. I don't
> remember when I did this but my computer only has 2GB and it works just
> fine. Since you brought this up I decided to set it to "System managed
> size"
> and I don't see anything different with performance or functionality.
>
> I did write down what they were and maybe something will come up to have
> me
> change back to custom but for now I will let the system handle it.
>
> --
> Don
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just added memory to my computer
> It is xp pro sp3 dual core
> it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
> I upped the virtual memory to 4605
> max 9210
> 4605 was the recommended by xp
> i doubled it for the max
> the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you
> here
> what you think
> I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot
> find
> a thing about what to set the maximum
> robin
>
> --
> Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
> R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

robinb

      22nd Jul 2009
ok I just set both of them to System managed size- and am going to see if
there is any differences in performance. I have no clue why the new
computer which had 3gigs was set so low to begin with. It's amounts are more
for 2gigs not 3gigs
So far I do not see any but time will tell
I can always set it back to custom if needed
I read around the link that engle put and it seems that most have it set to
system managed size so I will go that route and see how it does
robin

"Don Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eKODi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin,
>
> I haven't looked at this on my XP machine in a long time. I discovered
> that
> when I went in there that I had it personally set to "custom" and the
> difference that I had it set to was - high was double of the low. I don't
> remember when I did this but my computer only has 2GB and it works just
> fine. Since you brought this up I decided to set it to "System managed
> size"
> and I don't see anything different with performance or functionality.
>
> I did write down what they were and maybe something will come up to have
> me
> change back to custom but for now I will let the system handle it.
>
> --
> Don
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just added memory to my computer
> It is xp pro sp3 dual core
> it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
> I upped the virtual memory to 4605
> max 9210
> 4605 was the recommended by xp
> i doubled it for the max
> the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you
> here
> what you think
> I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot
> find
> a thing about what to set the maximum
> robin
>
> --
> Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
> R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

Don Carlson

      22nd Jul 2009
Like I stated I did customize at one point for some reason and I don't know
why I did it. My computer is only 2GB and was set as you stated below as
2046 and high 4092 and it is just a P4 3.40 processor.

Today with the drive capacities and the amount of memory we run I don't
think that we have to manually do it I think that "system managed" should
work just fine as an average user.

--
Don
"robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
that is what I did I doubled the high of low
all my machines are set this way but they have a gig. this was the first
time I put 3gigs on and was wondering if what I did for the "high" was ok
then on the internet I read that you can set it to system managed size and I
was wondering if it takes the custom levels or puts its own values on

funny though my other machine which I bought with 3gigs in it, has it set at
2046 and the high 4092. It actually came this way but it is a dual 2 core
so I am wondering since it is a dual 2 core if that makes a difference.

If it is better to set it at System manage size- then that is the way I
would go but I would like to hear from others especially Bill what he thinks
it should be set at

thanks
robin

"Don Carlson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eKODi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robin,
>
> I haven't looked at this on my XP machine in a long time. I discovered
> that
> when I went in there that I had it personally set to "custom" and the
> difference that I had it set to was - high was double of the low. I don't
> remember when I did this but my computer only has 2GB and it works just
> fine. Since you brought this up I decided to set it to "System managed
> size"
> and I don't see anything different with performance or functionality.
>
> I did write down what they were and maybe something will come up to have
> me
> change back to custom but for now I will let the system handle it.
>
> --
> Don
> "robinb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just added memory to my computer
> It is xp pro sp3 dual core
> it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
> I upped the virtual memory to 4605
> max 9210
> 4605 was the recommended by xp
> i doubled it for the max
> the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you
> here
> what you think
> I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot
> find
> a thing about what to set the maximum
> robin
>
> --
> Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
> R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

Randy Knobloch

      23rd Jul 2009
robinb wrote:
>I just added memory to my computer
> It is xp pro sp3 dual core
> it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
> I upped the virtual memory to 4605
> max 9210
> 4605 was the recommended by xp
> i doubled it for the max
> the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you here
> what you think
> I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot find
> a thing about what to set the maximum

Windows will only use as much RAM as it needs, even if you had a Terabyte of RAM Windows would
not even "see" it. Fussing with VM settings gets you into the fore of overclocking, etc.

Add the new RAM sticks, hope for the best.

--
Randy
<http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>