OEM XP64 OS replaced with licensed version of XP, Is the OEMtransferable?

bbgradwohl@cox.net

      12th May 2009
I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64. So I
replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
days.

Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
bit on another computer? Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

DL

      12th May 2009
An oem version is licensed only to the first PC its installed on
Did you actually Activate it?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
> bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64. So I
> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
> days.
>
> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
> bit on another computer? Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

Ken Blake, MVP

      12th May 2009
On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
> bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.

> So I
> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
> days.
>
> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
> bit on another computer?

Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

> Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Twayne

      12th May 2009
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro
>> 64- bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

> Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
> that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.
>

>> So I
>> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
>> days.
>>
>> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
>> bit on another computer?

> Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
> it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

On May 12, 1:52*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
> bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64. *So I
> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
> days.
>
> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
> bit on another computer? *Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

Yes, I activated it!!!!!!
I guess I wasted some cash. I could see holding on to it when and if
programs catch up but it seems they are passing up XP and writing for
Vista anyways.
So I guess there is no way to un-activate it.
What if I get a note from my mother? Will MS accept that?
Oh well, thanks for all the replies,even if it was bad news.
I appreciate the help.

Nate Grossman

      12th May 2009
"Twayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:52:23 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro
>>> 64- bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64.

>> Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
>> that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.
>>

>>> So I
>>> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
>>> bit on another computer?

>> Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
>> it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

>It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
>it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last activation,
all will go fine.

Mike Hall - MVP

      13th May 2009
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 12, 1:52 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am building a new computer and purchased an OEM version of XP Pro 64-
> bit but found that nothing I had was compatible with XP64. So I
> replaced the 64-bit OS with a licensed version of XP Pro after a few
> days.
>
> Since I have wiped the 64-Bit off my computer, can I install the 64-
> bit on another computer? Will it be supported as a licensed copy?

Yes, I activated it!!!!!!
I guess I wasted some cash. I could see holding on to it when and if
programs catch up but it seems they are passing up XP and writing for
Vista anyways.
So I guess there is no way to un-activate it.
What if I get a note from my mother? Will MS accept that?
Oh well, thanks for all the replies,even if it was bad news.
I appreciate the help.

Win XP x64 will be no more compatible in the future. How much did you pay
for it?

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Ken Blake, MVP

      13th May 2009
On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:41:39 -0500, Nate Grossman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Twayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

> >> Nothing was compatible? That sounds very strange. Almost *everything*
> >> that will run on 32-bit XP is compatible with the 64-bit version.

> >> Technically, no. An OEM license is valid only on the first computer
> >> it's on, and it may never legally be moved to another.

> >It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of installing
> >it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

> Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last activation,
> all will go fine.

No, it has nothing do with activation as opposed to installation, and
it's not an issue of how long it has been since the last activation.
The license clearly states that once it's installed on a computer, it
may not be moved to another.

That's the rule. When Twayne says "all will go fine" and when you say
"all will go fine," you are simply talking about what you can do to
get away with the illegal act.

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:41:39 -0500, Nate Grossman
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It actually depends on Activation, not the physical act of
>>> installing it. If it was never activated, all will go fine.

>> Actually, if it's been longer than 120 days since the last
>> activation, all will go fine.

> No, it has nothing do with activation as opposed to installation, and
> it's not an issue of how long it has been since the last activation.
> The license clearly states that once it's installed on a computer, it
> may not be moved to another.
>
> That's the rule. When Twayne says "all will go fine" and when you say
> "all will go fine," you are simply talking about what you can do to
> get away with the illegal act.

You need to go back and recheck your definitions.

peter

      13th May 2009
Legally all of the other posters are correct..but
It will install and you can activate it. It might require a phone call where
you
will need to tell a little white lie and say your HD went bad and are doing
a reinstall with a new one.
its better than wasting the $$$
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.