Odd Network startup

David Liddell

      14th Nov 2003
Hi all:
I've networked three machines, 1) desktop Pentium 3 XP pro,2) Laptop Pentium
4 XP home, 3) Cyrix 166 win98 ver2. Between 2 and 3 no problems. Between 1
and 3 no problems. Reading 1 from 2 ok. Initial start-up when trying to
access 2's C drive I'm told 2 is not responding but if I start another
explorer session I have no problems communicating but cannot switchoff the
explorer that does not connect, without crashing no 1.
The internet is connected via USB cable modem into no 1.
No 1 and 3 have fixed addresses but in order to access the internet on all
machines the laptop has to have an auto address.
Sharing has been setup as recommended.

any thoughts
David Liddell

Barry OGrady

      15th Nov 2003
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:43:06 -0000, "David Liddell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all:
>I've networked three machines, 1) desktop Pentium 3 XP pro,2) Laptop Pentium
>4 XP home, 3) Cyrix 166 win98 ver2. Between 2 and 3 no problems. Between 1
>and 3 no problems. Reading 1 from 2 ok. Initial start-up when trying to
>access 2's C drive I'm told 2 is not responding but if I start another
>explorer session I have no problems communicating but cannot switchoff the
>explorer that does not connect, without crashing no 1.
>The internet is connected via USB cable modem into no 1.
>No 1 and 3 have fixed addresses but in order to access the internet on all
>machines the laptop has to have an auto address.

Are you sure? I have internet sharing and all my machines have fixed addresses.

>Sharing has been setup as recommended.
>
>any thoughts
>David Liddell

-Barry