ODBC to OLEDB - VFoxPro

DevourU

      25th Aug 2008
I have been running a msaccess 2000-3 database with ODBC for several years.
It is now time to move on to OLEDB. Is there a way to subsititute an OLEDB
link for the ODBC for a one stop switch? If not can I gat help on how to
place my init string:

Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=f:\pcmrpw;Mode=Read|Share Deny
None;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE

Many thankx in advance.
-JS

Douglas J. Steele

      25th Aug 2008
As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to use OleDb to create a linked table
or a pass-through query.

It's only possible when creating a recordset in VBA.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"DevourU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running a msaccess 2000-3 database with ODBC for several years.
> It is now time to move on to OLEDB. Is there a way to subsititute an OLEDB
> link for the ODBC for a one stop switch? If not can I gat help on how to
> place my init string:
>
> Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=f:\pcmrpw;Mode=Read|Share Deny
> None;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE
>
> Many thankx in advance.
> -JS

DevourU

      25th Aug 2008
Thankx for your reply. If I were to Import data in Excel, I can select MS
Data Link (UDL file). This works fine. Is there UDL path to provide similar
results in Access? TIA

-JS

> As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to use OleDb to create a linked
> table or a pass-through query.
>
> It's only possible when creating a recordset in VBA.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "DevourU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have been running a msaccess 2000-3 database with ODBC for several
>>years.
>> It is now time to move on to OLEDB. Is there a way to subsititute an
>> OLEDB
>> link for the ODBC for a one stop switch? If not can I gat help on how to
>> place my init string:
>>
>> Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=f:\pcmrpw;Mode=Read|Share Deny
>> None;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE
>>
>> Many thankx in advance.
>> -JS

DevourU

      25th Aug 2008
How 'bout this: I have a new mdb database. Start a new query. Go to
properties. I have 2 choices, Source Database and Source Connect Str. How
can I use a UDL file or connect string to work with VFoxPro data? Noob
problems?

-JS

> As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to use OleDb to create a linked
> table or a pass-through query.
>
> It's only possible when creating a recordset in VBA.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "DevourU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have been running a msaccess 2000-3 database with ODBC for several
>>years.
>> It is now time to move on to OLEDB. Is there a way to subsititute an
>> OLEDB
>> link for the ODBC for a one stop switch? If not can I gat help on how to
>> place my init string:
>>
>> Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=f:\pcmrpw;Mode=Read|Share Deny
>> None;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE
>>
>> Many thankx in advance.
>> -JS

Douglas J. Steele

      25th Aug 2008
As I already said, I don't believe it's possible.

While you can programmatically set the Connect property of a TableDef (or
QueryDef) object, as far as I'm aware Access will not access OleDb
connection strings, only ODBC ones.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no private e-mails, please)

"DevourU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How 'bout this: I have a new mdb database. Start a new query. Go to
> properties. I have 2 choices, Source Database and Source Connect Str. How
> can I use a UDL file or connect string to work with VFoxPro data? Noob
> problems?
>
> -JS
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to use OleDb to create a linked
>> table or a pass-through query.
>>
>> It's only possible when creating a recordset in VBA.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "DevourU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have been running a msaccess 2000-3 database with ODBC for several
>>>years.
>>> It is now time to move on to OLEDB. Is there a way to subsititute an
>>> OLEDB
>>> link for the ODBC for a one stop switch? If not can I gat help on how to
>>> place my init string:
>>>
>>> Provider=VFPOLEDB.1;Data Source=f:\pcmrpw;Mode=Read|Share Deny
>>> None;Password="";Collating Sequence=MACHINE
>>>
>>> Many thankx in advance.
>>> -JS

Jason

      28th Aug 2008
DevourU,

Have you been able to find a solution or a work arround for this? I'm having
the exact same problem and I'm stuck. If you cracked it, please post the
solution.

Thanks,

Jason