*@!? Numeric Field Overflow

Emma Hope

      30th Jul 2009
I am having all sorts of trouble with Numeric Field Overflows when linking
text files to Access. So I have stripped everything back to first principles.

I have my linked table tblLinkMissed and i use a make table query to make
tblMissed, so all the field should be the correct type, it creates the table
no problem. I then create an append query to append the data from
tblLinkMissed to tblMissed, again no problem but if i try to run the append
query again..i get the dreaded NFO error!

I've matched every field of the two tables so they identical in name, size
and every other property.

Why does this happen, it works fine the first time and then crashes and
burns every other time!

I can't change the format of the incoming text file. I have tried every way
around this i can think of....please can anyone help!

Dale Fye

      30th Jul 2009
Emma,

What is the structure of the incoming text file, fixed width fields or
delimited?

Are you using an import specification? If not, you really ought to try
doing that, you can get there in the import wizard. With the import spec,
you can define the data types of each field. Otherwise, Access will try to
determine this based on the content of the first few record (I think it is 25
rows) in the input file. Occassionally, Access gets this wrong (integer
instead of long integer).

----
HTH
Dale

"Emma Hope" wrote:

> I am having all sorts of trouble with Numeric Field Overflows when linking
> text files to Access. So I have stripped everything back to first principles.
>
> I have my linked table tblLinkMissed and i use a make table query to make
> tblMissed, so all the field should be the correct type, it creates the table
> no problem. I then create an append query to append the data from
> tblLinkMissed to tblMissed, again no problem but if i try to run the append
> query again..i get the dreaded NFO error!
>
> I've matched every field of the two tables so they identical in name, size
> and every other property.
>
> Why does this happen, it works fine the first time and then crashes and
> burns every other time!
>
> I can't change the format of the incoming text file. I have tried every way
> around this i can think of....please can anyone help!

bnbnhg

      10th Aug 2009
HNVNHKJLK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...