=?Utf-8?B?U3RvZGd5V2FpZg==?=

      10th Nov 2005
In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other people
with the same problem, and no solutions.

Wesley Vogel

      10th Nov 2005
See if NTFILERW is listed in Services.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
If found, double click it and look at everything to see if you can figure
out what it is.

Do a Search on your machine for NTFILERW.

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
StodgyWaif <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
> Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
> searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other
> people with the same problem, and no solutions.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RvZGd5V2FpZg==?=

      10th Nov 2005
I followed both of your suggestions with no results. I looked at the
properties of every service and none of them were either named NTFILERW or
had it in there Path to executable: box. A full search with hidden and system
files only yielded results in my Cached Internet Files as I have been
searching the name NTFILERW. The Event Properties for the Error from the
Source "Service Control Manager" shows in the Description Box:

The NTFILERW service failed to start due to the following error:

Thanks alot for your help

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> See if NTFILERW is listed in Services.
>
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> If found, double click it and look at everything to see if you can figure
> out what it is.
>
> Do a Search on your machine for NTFILERW.
>
> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP

> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> StodgyWaif <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
> > Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
> > searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other
> > people with the same problem, and no solutions.

Kelly

      10th Nov 2005
Hi,

From Alexizo (MVP):

It seems to be that this related to Service Control Manager (SCM).

That usually happens after to have installed the Service Pack 1 and to have
made later some type
of recovery of the system, like a restoration to a previous point or a
repair.

If that is the case:

It makes the following procedure:

Beginning - To execute - regedit

it sees until the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

and it eliminates all the subkey except 13 and 4

Now from Control Panel, it executes "Administrative Tools - Services"

and it places in automatico the services:

- Administrator of auto logon of remote access
- Telefonia
- Administrator of connection of remote access

Comentanos.

--
Alexander Curquejo
Microsoft MVP

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"StodgyWaif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
> Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
> searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other
> people
> with the same problem, and no solutions.

Kelly

      10th Nov 2005
That error message produces:

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"StodgyWaif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I followed both of your suggestions with no results. I looked at the
> properties of every service and none of them were either named NTFILERW or
> had it in there Path to executable: box. A full search with hidden and
> system
> files only yielded results in my Cached Internet Files as I have been
> searching the name NTFILERW. The Event Properties for the Error from the
> Source "Service Control Manager" shows in the Description Box:
>
> The NTFILERW service failed to start due to the following error:
>
> Thanks alot for your help
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> See if NTFILERW is listed in Services.
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
>> If found, double click it and look at everything to see if you can figure
>> out what it is.
>>
>> Do a Search on your machine for NTFILERW.
>>
>> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>> StodgyWaif <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
>> > In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
>> > Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I
>> > have
>> > searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other
>> > people with the same problem, and no solutions.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RvZGd5V2FpZg==?=

      11th Nov 2005
Ok, I searched my registry for NTFILERW and it seem to be a driver for
something. One entry pointed to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NTFILERW.SYS. I'm
not sure what this driver is for especially as all the hardware in my system
seems to be working without it.
Thanks again

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From Alexizo (MVP):
>
> It seems to be that this related to Service Control Manager (SCM).
>
> That usually happens after to have installed the Service Pack 1 and to have
> made later some type
> of recovery of the system, like a restoration to a previous point or a
> repair.
>
> If that is the case:
>
> It makes the following procedure:
>
> Beginning - To execute - regedit
>
> it sees until the key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
>
> and it eliminates all the subkey except 13 and 4
>
> Now from Control Panel, it executes "Administrative Tools - Services"
>
> and it places in automatico the services:
>
> - Administrator of auto logon of remote access
> - Telefonia
> - Administrator of connection of remote access
>
> Comentanos.
>
> --
> Alexander Curquejo
> Microsoft MVP
> Shell/User Windows
> Andalucia
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "StodgyWaif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
> > Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
> > searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other
> > people
> > with the same problem, and no solutions.

Wesley Vogel

      12th Nov 2005
Here's what Google knows about NTFILERW.SYS
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...YS&btnG=Search

Locate NTFILERW.SYS in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers and right click it.
Properties | Version tab. Description??? Copyright???

Click a category on the left to display the information on the right.

Other version information
Item Name:
Company
File Version
Internal Name
Language
Original File Name
Product Name
Product Version

If NTFILERW.SYS is legitimate there ought to be some info identifying what
it's for and who wrote it, etc.

Clean out your Temporary Internet Files.

Update your antivirus and antispyware apps and run full system scans.

To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
StodgyWaif <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Ok, I searched my registry for NTFILERW and it seem to be a driver for
> something. One entry pointed to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NTFILERW.SYS.
> I'm not sure what this driver is for especially as all the hardware in my
> system seems to be working without it.
> Thanks again
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> From Alexizo (MVP):
>>
>> It seems to be that this related to Service Control Manager (SCM).
>>
>> That usually happens after to have installed the Service Pack 1 and to
>> have made later some type
>> of recovery of the system, like a restoration to a previous point or a
>> repair.
>>
>> If that is the case:
>>
>> It makes the following procedure:
>>
>> Beginning - To execute - regedit
>>
>> it sees until the key:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
>>
>> and it eliminates all the subkey except 13 and 4
>>
>> Now from Control Panel, it executes "Administrative Tools - Services"
>>
>> and it places in automatico the services:
>>
>> - Administrator of auto logon of remote access
>> - Telefonia
>> - Administrator of connection of remote access
>>
>> Comentanos.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Curquejo
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Shell/User Windows
>> Andalucia
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "StodgyWaif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In my Event Viewer, under System I have an Error of the Service Control
>>> Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I
>>> have searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2
>>> other people
>>> with the same problem, and no solutions.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RvZGd5V2FpZg==?=

      12th Nov 2005

My protection is up to date and I do regular scans of my system. The problem
is actually that the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NTFILERW.SYS is missing...
Therefore I don't have a way to see what it is for.
Thanks again.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP
> >>
> >> and it eliminates all the subkey except 13 and 4
> >>
> >> Now from Control Panel, it executes "Administrative Tools - Services"
> >>
> >> and it places in automatico the services:
> >>
> >> - Administrator of auto logon of remote access
> >> - Telefonia
> >> - Administrator of connection of remote access
> >>
> >> Comentanos.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alexander Curquejo
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Shell/User Windows
> >> Andalucia
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> All the Best,
> >> Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
> >>

> >> "StodgyWaif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

      13th Nov 2005
A registry entry is telling services.exe it needs to start NTFILERW.SYS,
whether it can be found or not.

At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to
construct a list of services that it needs to load. The Services Control
Manager (services.exe) is responsible for starting, stopping and interacting
with system services.

See if there is an entry for NTFILERW here...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

If NTFILERW is listed in the above key, there is probably a Value Name of
Start.

You also might do a Search for NTFILERW in the registry.

Open regedit, hit F3, type NTFILERW in the Find What box, Find Next
button. Keep hitting F3 to Find Next.

You can type the following command in a command prompt to list all stopped
services and drivers.

sc query state= inactive

Might be a clue there.