nslookup error

trant

      16th Feb 2010
Hello,

When I use nslookup I get the error:

*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.1: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.3.1

192.168.3.1 is my gateway's address (the router)

I have my TCP/IP settings to automatically fetch both my IP and the DNS
servers.

Doing some searching on the net some people say I need to create a PTR
record for this reverse lookup - but I can't figure out how to do this. One
article says there should be a DNS Management tool under Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools but I do not have this...

How do I resolve this?

WinXP SP3

John Wunderlich

      16th Feb 2010
=?Utf-8?B?dHJhbnQ=?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> When I use nslookup I get the error:
>
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.1: Non-existent
> domain *** Default servers are not available
> Server: UnKnown
> Address: 192.168.3.1
>
> 192.168.3.1 is my gateway's address (the router)
>
> I have my TCP/IP settings to automatically fetch both my IP and
> the DNS servers.
>
> Doing some searching on the net some people say I need to create a
> PTR record for this reverse lookup - but I can't figure out how to
> do this. One article says there should be a DNS Management tool
> under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools but I do not have
> this...
>
> How do I resolve this?
>
> WinXP SP3

When your router obtains its IP address from your Modem, it should
also obtain your ISP's DNS server address from your ISP as well. It
is not unusual, then, for the modem to give out its own local IP
address as the DNS server because the router will simply forward the
DNS request to the real DNS server.

My approach would be first to disconnect all the LAN connections from
your router then disconnect the power plug to the router for a few
seconds. Then reconnect power, wait about 1/2 minute, then reconnect
your LAN connections. (ie cycle power and reset your router).

If that doesn't work, you can find your ISP's DNS Server addresses
from the help pages of your ISP's website and manually enter that
address in your network configuration. That should get you going
until you can discover why your router is not handling DNS properly.

HTH,
John

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      16th Feb 2010

Hi
You can also try one of the public DNS servers (they are vey good).
Example 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).