Notes Master Size

Lean_Professional

      11th Sep 2009
My notes master is 7" wide by 10" high... How can i change it to make it
larger?

I've seen it at different sizes but can't figure out how to change it - page
setup doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

John Wilson

      11th Sep 2009
The settings come from the paper size set in your default printer options I
think.
--
john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk

Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials
http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html
PPTLive Atlanta Oct 11-14 2009

"Lean_Professional" wrote:

> My notes master is 7" wide by 10" high... How can i change it to make it
> larger?
>
> I've seen it at different sizes but can't figure out how to change it - page
> setup doesn't seem to have any effect.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Keith

      31st Dec 2009
I've been racking my brain on this one also. I understand PPT cannot set
margins for printing, and know about the "scale to fit" page option.

My question - how is it that different PPTs with the same slide master end
up with different sized layouts? I have 2 PPTs open, one is 8" x 10.5", the
second is 7.75" x 10", and the third is 7.85" x 10.2"

I'm trying to replicate a Notes Master to the different PPTs, but research
has suggested cut/paste is the only option. It's hard to cut/paste when the
layout is not the same size.

Any suggestions?

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Becky Matakas wrote:
> > Maybe I am mistaken - but when I look at the Page Setup on the design tab I get the

> setup and size for printing a slide by itself. The margins shown there are not the
> margins that show up for a Notes page.
>
> There are no margins there ... just slide size.
>
> > I need to be able to control the margins themselves, ie, I need to be able to set

> margins at .5 inch for Notes pages.
>
> Powerpoint doesn't allow you to set margins.
>
> Some printers allow you to set magnification on the printouts though.
>
> Or try choosing the Scale to fit Paper option in the print dialog box.
> That should cause PPT to print the notes page as large as possible within the printable
> area that the printer allows.
>

> .

Keith

      2nd Jan 2010
Thanx for the quick reply, Steve; my bad on the communication. The different
sizes are for the notes master. The sizes below are showing for the total
space available for placing items on the notes master - the notes master
"blank page size" if you will.

Does that change your answer which appears to be directed at the size of the
actual slide?

Keith

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> > My question - how is it that different PPTs with the same slide master end
> > up with different sized layouts? I have 2 PPTs open, one is 8" x 10.5", the
> > second is 7.75" x 10", and the third is 7.85" x 10.2"

> Somebody may've changed the slide size after starting the presentation. Seems likely, as
> none of those matches the normal (US) standard of 10x7.5
>
> > I'm trying to replicate a Notes Master to the different PPTs, but research
> > has suggested cut/paste is the only option. It's hard to cut/paste when the
> > layout is not the same size.

> You might need to change the layouts to match sizes (and accept that there might be some
> distortion)
>

> > Any suggestions?

> > > setup and size for printing a slide by itself. The margins shown there are not the
> > > margins that show up for a Notes page.
> > >
> > > There are no margins there ... just slide size.

> > > margins at .5 inch for Notes pages.
> > >
> > > Powerpoint doesn't allow you to set margins.
> > >
> > > Some printers allow you to set magnification on the printouts though.
> > >
> > > Or try choosing the Scale to fit Paper option in the print dialog box.
> > > That should cause PPT to print the notes page as large as possible within the printable
> > > area that the printer allows.
> > >

> > > .
> > >

> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/
>

> .

Keith

      12th Jan 2010
Steve,

Sorry for the delay in responding; we were busy with deliverables on another
project. Now, we're back to this one.

I researched your last posting and tried it unsuccessfully. It was then I
realized the confusion I might have created.

We have a project comprised of almost 30 different PPT "lessons;" each
lesson is a standalone unit. The notes within each standalone unit (i.e. PPT
file) are all consistent, i.e. the Notes Master is properly applied to each
slide within the PPT file.

What is occurring, however, is that there is a difference in Notes Master
margins from lesson to lesson (i.e. from one PPT file to the next). This
creates a noticeable size difference when the lessons (i.e. the Notes from
each PPT file) are combined into one document. All PPT files are using the
4:3 slide size format, but the margins in the Notes Master of the different
PPT files varies by about 0.5 inches on each side of the Notes page.

Is there a way to ensure consistency across the Notes Master of these 30
different PPT files? Or do I have to design the Notes Master layout around
the "lowest common denominator" of available size and then just center the
layout on the PPT files with the larger available Notes Master margins?

I'll look forward to your reply.

Thanx. Keith

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Keith wrote:
> > Thanx for the quick reply, Steve; my bad on the communication. The different
> > sizes are for the notes master. The sizes below are showing for the total
> > space available for placing items on the notes master - the notes master
> > "blank page size" if you will.
> >
> > Does that change your answer which appears to be directed at the size of the
> > actual slide?

> Yes and no ... usually the notes page size matches the slide size; there's noplace to set the
> notes page size independently of the slide page size. Despite that, sometimes we see
> presentations with individual notes pages whose size doesn't match the others. Seems to be a
> mild form of corruption.
>
> Have a look here though:
>
> Reset the size of the slide images on notes pages to a single standard size
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00684.htm
>

> > Keith

> > > Somebody may've changed the slide size after starting the presentation. Seems likely, as
> > > none of those matches the normal (US) standard of 10x7.5

> > > You might need to change the layouts to match sizes (and accept that there might be some
> > > distortion)

Keith

      13th Jan 2010
Sorry for the confusion, Steve.

Actually, a better way of saying it is that the Notes Master in one PPT file
might have an editable width of 7.5" while in a comparable file (same slide
master) the editable width might be 7". So there would be a 0.5 " difference
for any Notes Master template that I built. Ditto on the height.

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> > I researched your last posting and tried it unsuccessfully. It was then I
> > realized the confusion I might have created.
> >
> > We have a project comprised of almost 30 different PPT "lessons;" each
> > lesson is a standalone unit. The notes within each standalone unit (i.e. PPT
> > file) are all consistent, i.e. the Notes Master is properly applied to each
> > slide within the PPT file.
> >
> > What is occurring, however, is that there is a difference in Notes Master
> > margins from lesson to lesson (i.e. from one PPT file to the next). This
> > creates a noticeable size difference when the lessons (i.e. the Notes from
> > each PPT file) are combined into one document. All PPT files are using the
> > 4:3 slide size format, but the margins in the Notes Master of the different
> > PPT files varies by about 0.5 inches on each side of the Notes page.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "margins" since there's no margin setting in PowerPoint, so I'm
> having trouble picturing what you're seeing.
>
> When you're in Notes view and PageDown/PageUp through the presentation:
>
> - Do you mean that the page sizes are different (ie, they jump in size when you go from one page
> to the next)?
>
> - Or do you mean that the page sizes are the same, but the slide image and/or notes text on the
> notes page jump around from one page to the next?
>

> > Is there a way to ensure consistency across the Notes Master of these 30
> > different PPT files? Or do I have to design the Notes Master layout around
> > the "lowest common denominator" of available size and then just center the
> > layout on the PPT files with the larger available Notes Master margins?
> >
> > I'll look forward to your reply.
> >
> > Thanx. Keith

> > > Yes and no ... usually the notes page size matches the slide size; there's noplace to set the
> > > notes page size independently of the slide page size. Despite that, sometimes we see
> > > presentations with individual notes pages whose size doesn't match the others. Seems to be a
> > > mild form of corruption.
> > >
> > > Have a look here though:
> > >
> > > Reset the size of the slide images on notes pages to a single standard size
> > > http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00684.htm

> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/
>

> .

Keith

      14th Jan 2010

I'll give it a shot and post back, Steve; extreme geekage not a problem as
I've done my share of reg hacks and system builds over the years. Not my
favorite activity :-), but one I'm comfortable with.

Thanx again for the continued help; you're a God-send.

Keith

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Keith wrote:
> > Sorry for the confusion, Steve.

> No problem ... PPT doesn't really give us the vocabulary we need to deal with this sort of
> weirdness.
>
> This explains how to fix the problem. Extreme geekage required, and I'm not sure it's
> possible to do it in 2007 any longer, but editing the XML in the PPTX should work similarly:
>
> Notes pages are odd-sized
> http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00811.htm
>

> > Actually, a better way of saying it is that the Notes Master in one PPT file
> > might have an editable width of 7.5" while in a comparable file (same slide
> > master) the editable width might be 7". So there would be a 0.5 " difference
> > for any Notes Master template that I built. Ditto on the height.

> > > I'm not sure what you mean by "margins" since there's no margin setting in PowerPoint,

> so I'm
> > > having trouble picturing what you're seeing.
> > >
> > > When you're in Notes view and PageDown/PageUp through the presentation:
> > >
> > > - Do you mean that the page sizes are different (ie, they jump in size when you go from

> one page
> > > to the next)?
> > >
> > > - Or do you mean that the page sizes are the same, but the slide image and/or notes text

> on the
> > > notes page jump around from one page to the next?

> to set the

> see

> Seems to be a

> likely, as

> be some

> > > ==============================
> > > PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> > > http://www.pptfaq.com/
> > >
> > > PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> > > http://www.pptools.com/
> > >

> > > .
> > >

> ==============================
> PPT Frequently Asked Questions
> http://www.pptfaq.com/
>
> PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
> http://www.pptools.com/
>

> .

Keith

      15th Jan 2010
You're AWESOME, Steve. Even though Script Editor is not available in PPT
2007, I was able to do the HTML back-and-forth and make it work. With
production-level stuff, I think I'll use PPT XP to open the files (they're in
PPT format for backward compatibility).

Thanx so much for hanging with me over the last couple of weeks; I think you
just saved us about 3 days production time on this project.

Make it a great 2010.

Keith