Not Responding message on shut down

raggmopp

      1st Dec 2008
I have Windows XP Home Premium & just yesterday started receiving "Program
Not Responding" messages on shut down. At first it was ezSP_Px.exe, then this
morning I also got it and Webroot Spyware not responding. Earlier in the day
I updated all programs, scanned with Pcillin, Webroot Spyware, & Window
Washer, ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. Before I did all that I
hadn't been receiving the message. I don't have Symantec products on the
computer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Leonard Grey

      1st Dec 2008
Windows XP does not come in a 'Premium' edition, but Windows Vista does.
Could you please check your version of Windows -- is it XP or Vista?

Can you think of any clues to explain the behavior you are seeing? Any
recent changes to software or settings? Any registry cleaners or other
fixit-type software?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

raggmopp wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home Premium & just yesterday started receiving "Program
> Not Responding" messages on shut down. At first it was ezSP_Px.exe, then this
> morning I also got it and Webroot Spyware not responding. Earlier in the day
> I updated all programs, scanned with Pcillin, Webroot Spyware, & Window
> Washer, ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. Before I did all that I
> hadn't been receiving the message. I don't have Symantec products on the
> computer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Shenan Stanley

      1st Dec 2008

Leonard Grey wrote:
> Windows XP does not come in a 'Premium' edition, but Windows Vista
> does. Could you please check your version of Windows -- is it XP or
> Vista?

<snipped>

In case you are unsure how to do this (the OP):

- Find the "Windows" button on your keyboard.
- Press and hold it down and then press the R key (in other words - press
both keys at the same time.)
- In the "Run" window that should appear, type in:

winver

And click on the "OK" button.
- That should bring up a new window. At the top a picture tells you what
version of Windows uyou have and underneath that - the text provides the
exact version...

For example, you could have:
Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 :
Service Pack 3)
or
Windows Vista Ultimate Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
or something totally differet.

Let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

raggmopp

      1st Dec 2008
I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpsp_sp3_dgr.080814-1236:Service Pack 3).
The only changes I made were the updates to Spysweeper. I haven't used any
registry cleaners or other fixit-type software.
I followed Spysweeper's instructions to boot into safe mode, uncheck "load
Spysweeper at startup," reboot, then update to latest version.
Thanks for your help.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Windows XP does not come in a 'Premium' edition, but Windows Vista does.
> Could you please check your version of Windows -- is it XP or Vista?
>
> Can you think of any clues to explain the behavior you are seeing? Any
> recent changes to software or settings? Any registry cleaners or other
> fixit-type software?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> raggmopp wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Home Premium & just yesterday started receiving "Program
> > Not Responding" messages on shut down. At first it was ezSP_Px.exe, then this
> > morning I also got it and Webroot Spyware not responding. Earlier in the day
> > I updated all programs, scanned with Pcillin, Webroot Spyware, & Window
> > Washer, ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. Before I did all that I
> > hadn't been receiving the message. I don't have Symantec products on the
> > computer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

raggmopp

      1st Dec 2008
Sorry, I have XP on one computer and Vista on another so I get confused.
On the computer in question, I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1
(Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236: Service Pack). Thanks.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> raggmopp wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Home Premium & just yesterday started receiving
> > "Program Not Responding" messages on shut down. At first it was
> > ezSP_Px.exe, then this morning I also got it and Webroot Spyware
> > not responding. Earlier in the day I updated all programs, scanned
> > with Pcillin, Webroot Spyware, & Window Washer, ran disk cleanup
> > and disk defragmenter. Before I did all that I hadn't been
> > receiving the message. I don't have Symantec products on the
> > computer. Anyone have any ideas?

> Leonard Grey wrote:
> > Windows XP does not come in a 'Premium' edition, but Windows Vista
> > does. Could you please check your version of Windows -- is it XP or
> > Vista?

> <snipped>
>
> In case you are unsure how to do this (the OP):
>
> - Find the "Windows" button on your keyboard.
> - Press and hold it down and then press the R key (in other words - press
> both keys at the same time.)
> - In the "Run" window that should appear, type in:
>
> winver
>
> And click on the "OK" button.
> - That should bring up a new window. At the top a picture tells you what
> version of Windows uyou have and underneath that - the text provides the
> exact version...
>
> For example, you could have:
> Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236 :
> Service Pack 3)
> or
> Windows Vista Ultimate Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
> or something totally differet.
>
> Let us know!
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Lil' Dave

      2nd Dec 2008
"raggmopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows XP Home Premium & just yesterday started receiving "Program
> Not Responding" messages on shut down. At first it was ezSP_Px.exe, then
> this
> morning I also got it and Webroot Spyware not responding. Earlier in the
> day
> I updated all programs, scanned with Pcillin, Webroot Spyware, & Window
> Washer, ran disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. Before I did all that I
> hadn't been receiving the message. I don't have Symantec products on the
> computer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Similar problem here with tavsvc.exe (Trend Micro AV). Seems to only do it
after I've been using IE online, and, I immediately disconnect from
internet. Then, shutdown. Does it in restart too. Usually, if I wait a
few minutes before shutting down, there's no "not responding" message.
Guessing the built-in anti-spyware is still sniffing for a few moments after
IE is closed. Just a guess.
--
Dave