not able to be subscribed to my dynamic rss

fredd00

      18th Jul 2007
Hi

we have some page that genreate rss 2.0 feed the url is like .../
rssfeed.aspx?id=123

the page displays properly in browsers, but when we try to add the
page to a reader
like google reader , we always get an error saying : no feed available
for .../rssfeed.aspx?id=123

is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
genreating a rss 2.0 feed

thanks

Mike

      18th Jul 2007
Did you try the suggestion that was made to you yesterday on this same
posting?

try and read the feed via your code:
Dataset.ReadXML(your rss feed);

and see if that works, if your using Google Reader it may be something with
that. I ran into a similiar issue with a generated RSS feed, I couldn't read
it through google but I was able to read it through my web part. So try
that.

--
Mike
'IGotYourDotNet'

"fredd00" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> we have some page that genreate rss 2.0 feed the url is like .../
> rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>
> the page displays properly in browsers, but when we try to add the
> page to a reader
> like google reader , we always get an error saying : no feed available
> for .../rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>
> is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
> genreating a rss 2.0 feed
>
> thanks

Patrice

      18th Jul 2007
You could try a feed validator such as :
http://validator.w3.org/feed/

--
Patrice

"fredd00" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> we have some page that genreate rss 2.0 feed the url is like .../
> rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>
> the page displays properly in browsers, but when we try to add the
> page to a reader
> like google reader , we always get an error saying : no feed available
> for .../rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>
> is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
> genreating a rss 2.0 feed
>
> thanks

Steve

      18th Jul 2007
that will only validate the sytnax of the RSS feed, it won't let you know if
you can subscribe to it or not.

> You could try a feed validator such as :
> http://validator.w3.org/feed/
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> "fredd00" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> we have some page that genreate rss 2.0 feed the url is like .../
>> rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>>
>> the page displays properly in browsers, but when we try to add the
>> page to a reader
>> like google reader , we always get an error saying : no feed available
>> for .../rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>>
>> is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
>> genreating a rss 2.0 feed
>>
>> thanks

Patrice

      19th Jul 2007
Yes, the idea is first to make sure that the RSS feed is correct to then
concentrate on either the source feed or how Google Reader (that works for
now here) sees the feed.

--
Patrice

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> that will only validate the sytnax of the RSS feed, it won't let you know
> if you can subscribe to it or not.
>
> "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You could try a feed validator such as :
>> http://validator.w3.org/feed/
>>
>> --
>> Patrice
>>
>> "fredd00" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> we have some page that genreate rss 2.0 feed the url is like .../
>>> rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>>>
>>> the page displays properly in browsers, but when we try to add the
>>> page to a reader
>>> like google reader , we always get an error saying : no feed available
>>> for .../rssfeed.aspx?id=123
>>>
>>> is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
>>> genreating a rss 2.0 feed
>>>
>>> thanks

Steve

      19th Jul 2007
If he's able to see it the RSS XML via the browsers, then won't validating
defeat the purpose?

My thought is, he should provide the entire URL to the feed and see if
anyone else can 'subscribe' to it, like you said, it may be the way Google
is trying to parse the XML. I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to
subscribe to a feed using their reader. I then gave up and created my own
web page to view all the RSS feeds I wanted.

it was much easier then trying to figure out why Google wasn't reading the
feed

> Yes, the idea is first to make sure that the RSS feed is correct to then
> concentrate on either the source feed or how Google Reader (that works for
> now here) sees the feed.
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> that will only validate the sytnax of the RSS feed, it won't let you know
>> if you can subscribe to it or not.
>>
>> "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You could try a feed validator such as :
>>> http://validator.w3.org/feed/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Patrice
>>>
>>> "fredd00" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>> (E-Mail Removed)...

Patrice

      20th Jul 2007
Wonder also if it wasn't a problem with the URL (wondered if he used a
relative path ? would be an obvious mistake but who knows as he didn't
mention he didn't want to give the full url). Also he didn't detailed what
he saw in the browser (for example if he uses a style sheet to format the
feed it could also display the feed correctly if the stylesheet were done
assuming the same format error or a browser could be somewhat resilient to a
feed error to be liberal with what is accepted (for example some tools are
stuffing a player link for mp3 items etc...) plus in some cases one accepts
html inside items while another one won't want this etc...

So IMO the very first step would be to make 100% sure the feed is valid to
go further down in the binary tree of possible errors....

---
Patrice

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)...
> If he's able to see it the RSS XML via the browsers, then won't validating
> defeat the purpose?
>
> My thought is, he should provide the entire URL to the feed and see if
> anyone else can 'subscribe' to it, like you said, it may be the way Google
> is trying to parse the XML. I ran into a similar issue when I was trying
> to subscribe to a feed using their reader. I then gave up and created my
> own web page to view all the RSS feeds I wanted.
>
> it was much easier then trying to figure out why Google wasn't reading the
> feed
>

> "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, the idea is first to make sure that the RSS feed is correct to then
>> concentrate on either the source feed or how Google Reader (that works
>> for now here) sees the feed.
>>
>> --
>> Patrice
>>
>> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> (E-Mail Removed)...
>>> that will only validate the sytnax of the RSS feed, it won't let you
>>> know if you can subscribe to it or not.
>>>
>>> "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Mike

      20th Jul 2007
Good point, if he posted the actual URL for the feed, it would be easier to
determine if its a XML issue or the reader is using to parse it out.

news:OJ$i$(E-Mail Removed)...