NorthWind Database: Order Details Table

Shaukat

      12th Apr 2008
I am perplexed: When I went to the Design View of the Order Details Table, I
found 5 variables: OrderID, ProductID, UnitPrice, Quantity, and Discount.
But, when I went to the Datasheet view of the same table, the ProductID was
replaced with Product Name. How did they do it? I want to be able to do
exactly the similar thing but don't know how to do it.
Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
Thanks.

Duane Hookom

      12th Apr 2008
I never do this since I find it confusing. I want to see actual field names
when viewing tables. For all users, I create forms where I can use any
caption I want in label controls.

However, you can change the caption property in the table design. I think
the only value of this might be in applying an appropriate caption property
to labels when building forms and reports.

IMHO, don't set these properties of fields in table design
- Input Mask
- Format
- Lookup
- Caption
- displayed decimal places

--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Shaukat" wrote:

> I am perplexed: When I went to the Design View of the Order Details Table, I
> found 5 variables: OrderID, ProductID, UnitPrice, Quantity, and Discount.
> But, when I went to the Datasheet view of the same table, the ProductID was
> replaced with Product Name. How did they do it? I want to be able to do
> exactly the similar thing but don't know how to do it.
> Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
> me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
> Thanks.

a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m

      12th Apr 2008
I just think that was probably the stupidest answer ever.

The field has a CAPTION on it.
If you were just using SQL Server; it would be _QUITE_ easy to remove
all of these captions in one simple SQL Statement.
Jet just doesn't have this functionality.

When your database is too tired or worn out to 'keep it up' then move
to SQL Server.

-Aaron

On Apr 12, 12:54*pm, "ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" <u12102@uwe>
wrote:
> I haven't looked but it sounds like they are using a Lookup Field which isa
> big No-No.
> The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tableshttp://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
>
> Shaukat wrote:
> >I am perplexed: When I went to the Design View of the Order Details Table, I
> >found 5 variables: OrderID, ProductID, UnitPrice, Quantity, and Discount.
> >But, when I went to the Datasheet view of the same table, the ProductID was
> >replaced with Product Name. How did they do it? I want to be able to do
> >exactly the similar thing but don't know how to do it.
> >Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
> >me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
> >Thanks.

> --
> RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
> Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m

      12th Apr 2008
I'm just not positive that I agree with this.

It's _FINE_ to use captions. You just can remove that one caption if
you want.
That doesn't mean you need to remove all of them.

If you _DID_ want to remove all of those captions; it would be quite
easy.. if you had just followed 'Microsoft Access Best Practices' and
moved to Access Data Projects. Again- you could run a simple query in
dtproperties table I think.. and delete that stuff without any trouble
at all.

Sorry

-Aaron

On Apr 12, 12:46*pm, Duane Hookom <duanehookom@NO_SPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:
> I never do this since I find it confusing. I want to see actual field names
> when viewing tables. For all users, I create forms where I can use any
> caption I want in label controls.
>
> However, you can change the caption property in the table design. I think
> the only value of this might be in applying an appropriate caption property
> to labels when building forms and reports.
>
> IMHO, don't set these properties of fields in table design
> - Input Mask
> - Format
> - Lookup
> - Caption
> - displayed decimal places
>
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Shaukat" wrote:
> > I am perplexed: When I went to the Design View of the Order Details Table, I
> > found 5 variables: OrderID, ProductID, UnitPrice, Quantity, and Discount..
> > But, when I went to the Datasheet view of the same table, the ProductID was
> > replaced with Product Name. How did they do it? I want to be able to do
> > exactly the similar thing but don't know how to do it.
> > Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
> > me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
> > Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

boblarson

      13th Apr 2008
No, they are NOT using the caption to display the PRODUCT NAME. A CAPTION
only shows at the column header it has NOTHING to do with the data within the
Column. Sheesh - Given your "experience" with Access you should know that
one.

--
Bob Larson
Access World Forums Super Moderator

__________________________________

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o" wrote:

> I just think that was probably the stupidest answer ever.
>
> The field has a CAPTION on it.
> If you were just using SQL Server; it would be _QUITE_ easy to remove
> all of these captions in one simple SQL Statement.
> Jet just doesn't have this functionality.
>
> When your database is too tired or worn out to 'keep it up' then move
> to SQL Server.
>
> -Aaron
>

> On Apr 12, 12:54 pm, "ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" <u12102@uwe>
> wrote:
> > I haven't looked but it sounds like they are using a Lookup Field which is a
> > big No-No.
> > The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tableshttp://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm
> >
> > Shaukat wrote:
> > >I am perplexed: When I went to the Design View of the Order Details Table, I
> > >found 5 variables: OrderID, ProductID, UnitPrice, Quantity, and Discount.
> > >But, when I went to the Datasheet view of the same table, the ProductID was
> > >replaced with Product Name. How did they do it? I want to be able to do
> > >exactly the similar thing but don't know how to do it.
> > >Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
> > >me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
> > >Thanks.

> > --
> > RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP WinXP Pro
> > Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

Tom Wickerath

      13th Apr 2008
Aaron,

Talk about the dumbest answer....that would be your reply to this post. And
you claim that you know Access like the back of your hand? BS. FYI, both
ruralguy and Bob Larson posted the correct answers. You don't know Access. No
wonder you complain all the time about how much trouble you've had in the
past with your JET databases.

Shaukat is seeing the effect of a Lookup defined at the table level. Here is
a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that shows you how to do this:

How to add lookup fields in a Microsoft Access table
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304462

However, as others have already pointed out, you may want to reconsider
implementing lookup fields defined at the table or query level for the
reasons given in the 2nd Commandment of Access:

The Ten Commandments of Access
http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/ex...tributors.html

"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o" wrote:

> I just think that was probably the stupidest answer ever.
>
> The field has a CAPTION on it.
> If you were just using SQL Server; it would be _QUITE_ easy to remove
> all of these captions in one simple SQL Statement.
> Jet just doesn't have this functionality.
>
> When your database is too tired or worn out to 'keep it up' then move
> to SQL Server.
>
> -Aaron

access.slut@gmail.com

      13th Apr 2008
On Apr 12, 3:31*pm, "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you _DID_ want to remove all of those captions; it would be quite
> easy.. if you had just followed 'Microsoft Access Best Practices' and
> moved to Access Data Projects. *Again- you could run a simple query in
> dtproperties table I think.. and delete that stuff without any trouble
> at all.

Find one Microsoft article in the last year or 2 that 'Microsoft
Access Best Practices' suggests moving to Access Data Projects. Once
again you show your utter lack of knowledge about Access, or ADP's, or
even SQL-Server. Microsoft has done few improvements (other than bug
fixes) in ADP's in the last release. That suggests they are
deprecating Data Projects in the near future.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are
stupid than open it and prove it to the world. I had suggested that
you go to the SQL-Server groups, but they don't want you either. Leave
the grown-ups alone. The only thing left for you is to go play with
yourself.