no virtual memory

ron

      28th Apr 2009
Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I had some
problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've now fixed. But
now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I have windows xp.) My
virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the disk
cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped. How
do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my system
back
on track?

Malke

      28th Apr 2009
ron wrote:

> Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I had
> some
> problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've now fixed.
> But
> now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I have windows xp.) My
> virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the
> disk
> cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped.
> How do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my
> system back
> on track?

What was the program you downloaded (installed?)? Could it have been
malware? Be sure the computer is clean:

Set Windows to manage its own virtual memory. Make sure you click "Set".

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Twayne

      28th Apr 2009
ron wrote:
> Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
> had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've
> now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I
> have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5
> times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've
> restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I empty out whatever is in
> the virtual memory so that I can get my system back
> on track?

It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the things
it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it since the
problem?

Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some malware
floating around that should take care of it.

Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE any
virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory is full?
Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean pagefile,
right? If that's the case, you need to provide better detail so you'll
get a better targeted response to your query. How much RAM, size of
pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it manifesting itself as a
problem?
You might just have a normal situation there.

HTH,

Twayne

Don Phillipson

      28th Apr 2009
"ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I had

some
> problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've now fixed.

But
> now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I have windows xp.) My
> virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the

disk
> cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped.

How
> do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my

system
> back on track?

Virtual memory has filename WIN386.SWP.
We do not normally need to "empty" it. If you are in
doubt, this file can be DELeted via DOS and a new one
is created on reboot (in an intact WinXP system i.e.
not misconfigured by malware.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

ron

      28th Apr 2009
When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for selected
drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the system
recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying "out
of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory" as
0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.

"Twayne" wrote:

> ron wrote:
> > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
> > had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've
> > now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I
> > have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5
> > times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've
> > restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I empty out whatever is in
> > the virtual memory so that I can get my system back
> > on track?

> It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the things
> it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it since the
> problem?
>
> Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
> Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some malware
> floating around that should take care of it.
>
> Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE any
> virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory is full?
> Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean pagefile,
> right? If that's the case, you need to provide better detail so you'll
> get a better targeted response to your query. How much RAM, size of
> pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it manifesting itself as a
> problem?
> You might just have a normal situation there.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne

Mike Hall - MVP

      28th Apr 2009
"ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
> selected
> drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
> system
> recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying
> "out
> of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory"
> as
> 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.

Set it to system managed and see what happens..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Jim

      28th Apr 2009

"ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
> selected
> drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
> system
> recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying
> "out
> of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory"
> as
> 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.
>
> "Twayne" wrote:
>
>> ron wrote:
>> > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
>> > had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've
>> > now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I
>> > have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5
>> > times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've
>> > restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I empty out whatever is in
>> > the virtual memory so that I can get my system back
>> > on track?

>> It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the things
>> it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it since the
>> problem?
>>
>> Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
>> Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some malware
>> floating around that should take care of it.
>>
>> Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE any
>> virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory is full?
>> Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean pagefile,
>> right? If that's the case, you need to provide better detail so you'll
>> get a better targeted response to your query. How much RAM, size of
>> pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it manifesting itself as a
>> problem?
>> You might just have a normal situation there.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne

It seems to me that the best explanation of your condition is that the
pagefile is not big enough and cannot be expanded. I would set the pagefile
size to be "system managed" and watch it to see how big it gets.

Jim

Twayne

      28th Apr 2009
Jim wrote:
> "ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
>> selected
>> drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
>> system
>> recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages
>> saying "out
>> of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual
>> memory" as
>> 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual
>> memory.

Well ... that does sound suspicious, I admit. With a Gig of system RAM,
I wouldn't expect to see all the pagefile used unless you're running
some highly RAM intensive programs. It sounds like it's that way all the
time though, right?

You didn't indicate you set the pagefile off, restarted and then turned
it back on and set it to system managed size. I'd almost bet you money
that changes the numbers and will unlock whatever is holding it so it
appears full. I've seen that happen before. I used to also delete the
pagefile file itself while it was turned off, but it turned out that
wasn't necessary.

With the settings you currently have, you will never see a pagefile size
of less than 1.509 Gig because that's always the size it will be. You
might see more however, because windows XP will tell you it's going to
do it, and then upsize the amount available to the pagefile. In fact,
you can turn the pagefile off and windows will still create a pagefile
as it needs it and giving you the appropriate error messages.
Since you haven't said anything about it getting bigger, I'm betting
it's actually little used and simply not being reported correctly right
now.
Be cautious about reading % left, available, etc.; sometimes they are
phrased strangely and don't mean what a quick glance might tell you.

Besides trying the restarts I mentioned, you might also download a 3rd
party pagefile monitor. Sysinternals, now part of MS, used to have one
I liked.

Another possibility that comes to mind is a RAM problem - are you sure
the full Gig of RAM is available to the system? An improperly seated
RAM stick or just bad RAM could be at work too.

IMO, without having run the Restarts and having those results and
perhaps the results of a pagefil monitor, and some assurance that RAM is
OK, I don't think I have much else to offer for lack of a control point.
Perhaps someone else might, though.

How many physical drives and logical drives are there on each physical
drive?
Does it matter what program/s are running?
Does it happen with no ram intensive apps running? In other words is it
like that all the time?

Interesting if nothign else right now.

HTH,

Twayne

>>> It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the
>>> things it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it
>>> since the problem?
>>>
>>> Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
>>> Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some
>>> malware floating around that should take care of it.
>>>
>>> Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't
>>> HAVE any virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual
>>> memory is full? Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems
>>> to mean pagefile, right? If that's the case, you need to provide
>>> better detail so you'll get a better targeted response to your
>>> query. How much RAM, size of pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and
>>> how is it manifesting itself as a problem?
>>> You might just have a normal situation there.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Twayne
>>>

> It seems to me that the best explanation of your condition is that the
> pagefile is not big enough and cannot be expanded. I would set the
> pagefile size to be "system managed" and watch it to see how big it
> gets.
> Jim

Gerry

      28th Apr 2009
Ron

What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have? Right click on
the My Computer icon on ther Desktop and select Properties to get this
information.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report . Open Disk
Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save
As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a
copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more
informative.

Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to Empty
your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also select Start, All
Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp, More Options, System
Restore and remove all but the latest System Restore point. Run Disk
Defragmenter.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ron wrote:
> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
> selected drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size,
> which is the system recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm
> getting messages saying "out of memory" and when I check the system
> it shows "available virtual memory" as 0%. So that's why I think
> there's a problem with the virtual memory.
>
> "Twayne" wrote:
>
>> ron wrote:
>>> Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
>>> had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which
>>> I've now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual
>>> memory. (I have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the
>>> recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the
>>> defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I
>>> empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my
>>> system back
>>> on track?

>> It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the
>> things it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it
>> since the problem?
>>
>> Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
>> Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some
>> malware floating around that should take care of it.
>>
>> Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE
>> any virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory
>> is full? Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean
>> pagefile, right? If that's the case, you need to provide better
>> detail so you'll get a better targeted response to your query. How
>> much RAM, size of pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it
>> manifesting itself as a problem?
>> You might just have a normal situation there.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne

Gerry

      29th Apr 2009
Taking a trip down memory lane Don?

Virtual memory in Windows XP is pagefile.sys.

--

Gerry
~~~~