PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

no updates installed on xp home 2002

 
 
randalel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Oct 2008
My friend gave me a compaq preserio 6010us,AMD athlon xp1600 +1.40 ghz,224 mb
RAM. XP home edition version 2002.When i boot up it seems to run until it
over heats,then it starts to reboot over an over.I open it up and finds 2
fans are missing,one at the rear an it looks like one at the front bottom.I
look in add and remove programs to find no updates have never been installed
it only shows some referance to sp1 no other updates.The only virus software
installed ran out in 05 no other since.At times it may run for about 15
minutes,then it starts to reboot an does not stop.Can someone please
advise,thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob I
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Oct 2008
Until you correct the overheating problem, Windows Updates are the least
of your problem. Once you correct that, update the drivers, and go
through the instructions for installing SP3, install that.

randalel wrote:
> My friend gave me a compaq preserio 6010us,AMD athlon xp1600 +1.40 ghz,224 mb
> RAM. XP home edition version 2002.When i boot up it seems to run until it
> over heats,then it starts to reboot over an over.I open it up and finds 2
> fans are missing,one at the rear an it looks like one at the front bottom.I
> look in add and remove programs to find no updates have never been installed
> it only shows some referance to sp1 no other updates.The only virus software
> installed ran out in 05 no other since.At times it may run for about 15
> minutes,then it starts to reboot an does not stop.Can someone please
> advise,thanks in advance.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
randalel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Oct 2008
bob i have done more checking on the overheating thing and it is not
overheating as much asi thought.What else could be the problem?

"Bob I" wrote:

> Until you correct the overheating problem, Windows Updates are the least
> of your problem. Once you correct that, update the drivers, and go
> through the instructions for installing SP3, install that.
>
> randalel wrote:
> > My friend gave me a compaq preserio 6010us,AMD athlon xp1600 +1.40 ghz,224 mb
> > RAM. XP home edition version 2002.When i boot up it seems to run until it
> > over heats,then it starts to reboot over an over.I open it up and finds 2
> > fans are missing,one at the rear an it looks like one at the front bottom.I
> > look in add and remove programs to find no updates have never been installed
> > it only shows some referance to sp1 no other updates.The only virus software
> > installed ran out in 05 no other since.At times it may run for about 15
> > minutes,then it starts to reboot an does not stop.Can someone please
> > advise,thanks in advance.

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob I
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Oct 2008
If it overheats and starts rebooting, then it's too much. It isn't a
Windows_Update issue. Maybe you need to clean out the CPU heatsink fins
or the paste needs replacing. I'd suggest you ask in a hardware group
about it.

randalel wrote:

> bob i have done more checking on the overheating thing and it is not
> overheating as much asi thought.What else could be the problem?
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>
>>Until you correct the overheating problem, Windows Updates are the least
>>of your problem. Once you correct that, update the drivers, and go
>>through the instructions for installing SP3, install that.
>>
>>randalel wrote:
>>
>>>My friend gave me a compaq preserio 6010us,AMD athlon xp1600 +1.40 ghz,224 mb
>>>RAM. XP home edition version 2002.When i boot up it seems to run until it
>>>over heats,then it starts to reboot over an over.I open it up and finds 2
>>>fans are missing,one at the rear an it looks like one at the front bottom.I
>>>look in add and remove programs to find no updates have never been installed
>>>it only shows some referance to sp1 no other updates.The only virus software
>>>installed ran out in 05 no other since.At times it may run for about 15
>>>minutes,then it starts to reboot an does not stop.Can someone please
>>>advise,thanks in advance.

>>
>>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Export Installed updates(windows updates) Export Add Remove Program Lists Windows Vista General Discussion 5 15th Jun 2009 11:17 AM
XP Home motherboard broken, new mobo now XP Home fails at boot, installed Win XP Pro Upgrade but this won't upgrade XP Home help. Derek Windows XP General 5 23rd May 2008 03:57 PM
XP Home motherboard broken, new mobo now XP Home fails at boot, installed Win XP Pro Upgrade but this won't upgrade XP Home help. Derek Windows XP Help 5 23rd May 2008 03:57 PM
How to sort the non-critical updates from all updates I installed? jc Windows XP General 4 24th May 2004 12:58 PM
critical updates installed-not really installed? michael ellis Windows XP Help 1 29th Jan 2004 07:27 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:28 AM.