No Slide Show Option on Fax and Picture Viewer

Lori

      18th Aug 2008
Recently I worked with MS to reinstall a clean version of Windows XP Home
(long story). Since then, when I open my photo files with Windows Fax and
Picture Viewer, there is no option anymore to view the photos in a slide show
manner. I did try that registry fix but it didn't work for that problem.
Any ideas, please?

Thank you.

Lori

      18th Aug 2008
John,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, F11 did cause a slide show to start. Does that
mean I shouldn't do the "run" command? If it worked through F11, what does
that tell me?

Thanks for your help,
Lori

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Lori wrote:
> > Recently I worked with MS to reinstall a clean version of Windows XP
> > Home (long story). Since then, when I open my photo files with
> > Windows Fax and Picture Viewer, there is no option anymore to view
> > the photos in a slide show manner. I did try that registry fix but
> > it didn't work for that problem. Any ideas, please?
> >
> > Thank you.

> ====================================
> First...just as an experiment...open a folder that
> contains photos and double click one of them to
> launch WP&F Viewer...now press your F11 key...
> maybe it will launch the slideshow.
>
> If that fails...try the following command to force a
> reinstall of WP&F Viewer.
>
> Go to...Start / Run and type
> (or copy/paste):
>
> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
> (yes, the space after the 2 and the space
> after the i is required)
>
> Press...Enter...
>
> You should see a dialog box that says:
> DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shimgvw.dll succeeded
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Lori

      19th Aug 2008
John,
None of this worked. I tried to tile horizontally, no change. Then I
copied the line into "Run" and I got the box that it succeeded, but no
change, either.

I used to have the options on the left side of my screen, to the left of the
thumbnails. No longer are they present. I guess my only option will be to
use the F11, which I thank you for. If you have any other ideas, I'm open to
trying them.

I appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Lori wrote:
> > John,
> > Thanks for the reply. Yes, F11 did cause a slide show to start.
> > Does that mean I shouldn't do the "run" command? If it worked
> > through F11, what does that tell me?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Lori

> ======================================
> Doing the "run" command won't hurt anything but
> if F11 works that means WP&F Viewer is working
> correctly.
>
> It's possible that your WP&F Viewer window needs
> to be resized or repositioned to fit your screen?
> IOW...maybe part of it is hidden at the bottom is
> why you cannot see the slideshow button.
>
> Try this...open a picture in WP&F Viewer and close
> *all* other windows...*nothing* open but the one
> WP&F Viewer window...
>
> Now...Right click your Windows Taskbar and from
> the menu...choose...Tile Windows Horizontally...this
> should force the WP&F Viewer window to reposition
> itself and fill your screen.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Lori

      19th Aug 2008
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Jan112005id119005.htm

Fixed!

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Lori wrote:
> > Recently I worked with MS to reinstall a clean version of Windows XP
> > Home (long story). Since then, when I open my photo files with
> > Windows Fax and Picture Viewer, there is no option anymore to view
> > the photos in a slide show manner. I did try that registry fix but
> > it didn't work for that problem. Any ideas, please?
> >
> > Thank you.

> ====================================
> First...just as an experiment...open a folder that
> contains photos and double click one of them to
> launch WP&F Viewer...now press your F11 key...
> maybe it will launch the slideshow.
>
> If that fails...try the following command to force a
> reinstall of WP&F Viewer.
>
> Go to...Start / Run and type
> (or copy/paste):
>
> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
> (yes, the space after the 2 and the space
> after the i is required)
>
> Press...Enter...
>
> You should see a dialog box that says:
> DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shimgvw.dll succeeded
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Digital Media MVP
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Lori

      19th Aug 2008
John,
Thank you for trying with me. Your support helped a lot.