No msconfig in win2000?

Brigitte J.

      23rd May 2004
Hello group,
I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done this a
long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now and I
haven't had it crash once!!

One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I want to
start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?

Thanks,
Brigitte

---

Dave Patrick

      23rd May 2004
Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Brigitte J." wrote:
| Hello group,
| I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done this
| long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now and I
| haven't had it crash once!!
|
| One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I want to
| start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
|
| Thanks,
| Brigitte
|

| ---

Steve Parry [MVP]

      23rd May 2004

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Bruce Chambers

      24th May 2004
Greetings --

MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
when Windows starts."

To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
happen as a result of each and every change.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dK5sc.18184$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Hello group,
> I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd
> done this a
> long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now
> and I
> haven't had it crash once!!
>
> One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I
> want to
> start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
>
> Thanks,
> Brigitte
>

> ---

Walter Donavan

      24th May 2004
MSCONFIG is available for Win2K. Search for it at MSFT. It's a free
download. I have it and use it.

Brigitte J.

      24th May 2004
Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
looking in the right places earlier.

Brigitte

"Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dK5sc.18184$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Hello group,
> I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done this

> long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now and I
> haven't had it crash once!!
>
> One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I want to
> start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
>
> Thanks,
> Brigitte
>

> ---

---

Alias

      24th May 2004

"Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
> that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
> looking in the right places earlier.
>
> Brigitte

Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file from
a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

Alias

> "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dK5sc.18184$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> > Hello group,
> > I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done

this
> > long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now and

> > haven't had it crash once!!
> >
> > One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I want

> > start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brigitte
> >

> > ---

> ---

Brigitte J.

      24th May 2004

"Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
> > that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
> > looking in the right places earlier.
> >
> > Brigitte

> Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file

from
> a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
>
> Alias
> >

> > "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:dK5sc.18184$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> > > Hello group,
> > > I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done

> this
> > > long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now

and
> > > haven't had it crash once!!
> > >
> > > One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I

want
> > > start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brigitte
> > >

> > > ---

> > ---

When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive w/new
install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.

I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...

I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked about
it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for files
and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.

Thanks again for all your help.

Brigitte

---

Alias

      24th May 2004

"Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%lsc.44651$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

> "Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > > Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I

found
> > > that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
> > > looking in the right places earlier.
> > >
> > > Brigitte

> > Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file

> from
> > a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
> >
> > Alias
> > >

> > > "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:dK5sc.18184$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...

done
> > this

> and

> want

> > > ---

> When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive w/new
> install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
>
> I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
> with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
>
> I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

about
> it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
> done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

files
> and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.
>
> Brigitte

If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really have
it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
able to use it.

Alias

Brigitte J.

      24th May 2004

"Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:V%lsc.44651$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> >
> > "Alias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Brigitte J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> found

wasn't

> > > Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help

file
> > from
> > > a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
> > >
> > > Alias

> done
> > > this

now
> > and

> > want

> > When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive

w/new
> > install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
> >
> > I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
> > with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
> >
> > I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

> about
> > it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
> > done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

> files
> > and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
> >
> > Thanks again for all your help.
> >
> > Brigitte

> If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really

have
> it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
> able to use it.
>
> Alias

Then please explain how it is, when I go to C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe I
get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.

Brigitte

---