no margins or printer control chars on generic / text printer?

Mickey Ferguson

      23rd Aug 2006
Is there a way to set the margins to unlimited for the generic / text
printer? Basically, I don't want any line truncation or printer control
characters in my text stream. Or maybe there is another driver to install
to do this?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

      23rd Aug 2006
About all you'll see for control codes would be carriage returns (0x0D),
line feeds (0x0A), and form feeds (0x0C); form feeds probably wouldn't be
sent either if the driver is set to "no page break". What exactly are you
trying to do?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

"Mickey Ferguson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to set the margins to unlimited for the generic / text
> printer? Basically, I don't want any line truncation or printer control
> characters in my text stream. Or maybe there is another driver to install
> to do this?

Mickey Ferguson

      23rd Aug 2006
First, when my app prints to FILE:, which is using the generic / text
driver, it ends up with margins. I want the raw text, with no extra line
breaks.

Second, it embeds the ^L (formfeed character) where it wants to put a page
break. Again, I just want the straight text, with no modifications as if it
was going to a real printer.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> About all you'll see for control codes would be carriage returns (0x0D),
> line feeds (0x0A), and form feeds (0x0C); form feeds probably wouldn't be
> sent either if the driver is set to "no page break". What exactly are you
> trying to do?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

      25th Aug 2006
The problem is that a printer is going to have to be told when to do a
carriage return and a line feed, so there's likely no printer driver to be
found that won't include CR LF codes in the stream. The form feed part can
be corrected by setting the drive to "No page break". You might be able to
fix the left margin (a series of spaces) by setting it to zero. All in all,
using the print function to get the kind of text output you want is not a
good choice; all printers require formatting information and all printer
drivers will therefore provide some form of that.

Hal