No icons on the desktop after booting Vista

Juan I. Cahis

      19th Aug 2007
Dear friends:

Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.

The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
even control-alt-del doesn't work.

Any hint?

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

John Barnes

      19th Aug 2007
Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.

"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Curtis D. Levin

      19th Aug 2007
Right click the desk, view, show desktop icons.

If that is already enabled, then there's another issue.

Curtis

> Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
> upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.
>
> "Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear friends:
>
> Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
> Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
> on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
> click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>
> The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
> that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
> stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
> the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
> and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
> even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Thanks
> Juan I. Cahis
> Santiago de Chile (South America)
> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

=?Utf-8?B?RGV2aWxfSGltc2VsZg==?=

      19th Aug 2007

"Juan I. Cahis" wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
> Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
> on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
> click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>
> The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
> that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
> stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
> the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
> and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
> even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Thanks
> Juan I. Cahis
> Santiago de Chile (South America)
> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Run > Regedit > Navigate to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

On The Right Pane >> "NoDesktop" > Value 0

Juan I. Cahis

      19th Aug 2007
Dear Curtis, if I click the desktop, left or right, I only hear the
"cloink" and nothing happens.

"Curtis D. Levin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Right click the desk, view, show desktop icons.
>
>If that is already enabled, then there's another issue.
>
>Curtis
>
>"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
>> upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.
>>
>> "Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
>> Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
>> on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
>> click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>>
>> The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
>> that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
>> stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
>> the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
>> and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
>> even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Juan I. Cahis
>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Juan I. Cahis

      19th Aug 2007
Dear John, it is an upgrade. I bought my PC in November last year, and
I received a free "Vista Upgrade DVD" from the manufacturer (Sony)
some months after that, that allowed you only to upgrade, not to do a
fresh install. You know the particularities of Microsoft licenses and
eulas............

Could you solve the problem?

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
>upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.
>
>"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Dear friends:
>
>Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
>Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
>on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
>click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>
>The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
>that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
>stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
>the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
>and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
>even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>
>Any hint?
>
>Thanks
>Juan I. Cahis
>Santiago de Chile (South America)
>Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Juan I. Cahis

      19th Aug 2007
Dear friend, should I only check if it is a "0" in that place of the
Registry, or to change it to zero if it has any other value?

Devil_Himself <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Juan I. Cahis" wrote:
>
>> Dear friends:
>>
>> Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
>> Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
>> on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
>> click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>>
>> The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
>> that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
>> stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
>> the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
>> and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
>> even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>>
>> Any hint?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Juan I. Cahis
>> Santiago de Chile (South America)
>> Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!
>>

>Run > Regedit > Navigate to
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
>
>On The Right Pane >> "NoDesktop" > Value 0

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

John Barnes

      19th Aug 2007
Sorry, but I gave up and did a clean install.

"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Dear John, it is an upgrade. I bought my PC in November last year, and
I received a free "Vista Upgrade DVD" from the manufacturer (Sony)
some months after that, that allowed you only to upgrade, not to do a
fresh install. You know the particularities of Microsoft licenses and
eulas............

Could you solve the problem?

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
>upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.
>
>"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Dear friends:
>
>Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
>Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
>on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
>click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>
>The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
>that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
>stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
>the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
>and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
>even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>
>Any hint?
>
>Thanks
>Juan I. Cahis
>Santiago de Chile (South America)
>Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Paul Randall

      19th Aug 2007
Have you looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616
It says you can do a clean install with an upgrade CD by choosing custom
install.

A custom installation or clean installation of Windows Vista does not
preserve the currently installed personal files, settings, and programs.
Windows Vista is installed without third-party programs. You can perform a
custom installation of Windows Vista by using either an upgrade license or a
full product license. However, if you own an upgrade license, you must start
the installation in the current version of Windows. At the installation
choice menu, select Custom to perform this action.

Paul Randall

"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Dear John, it is an upgrade. I bought my PC in November last year, and
I received a free "Vista Upgrade DVD" from the manufacturer (Sony)
some months after that, that allowed you only to upgrade, not to do a
fresh install. You know the particularities of Microsoft licenses and
eulas............

Could you solve the problem?

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
>upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.
>
>"Juan I. Cahis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Dear friends:
>
>Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
>Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
>on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
>click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
>
>The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
>that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
>stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
>the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
>and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
>even control-alt-del doesn't work.
>
>Any hint?
>
>Thanks
>Juan I. Cahis
>Santiago de Chile (South America)
>Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Thanks
Juan I. Cahis
Santiago de Chile (South America)
Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

Juan I. Cahis

      19th Aug 2007
In other words, the value of zero in that key is the origin of the
problem or its solution?