no administator privledges although set as admin.

stumped-in-excel

      5th May 2010
One of my users is complaining about not being able to modify documents on
the server while logged in under her username/password. Her rights are set
to Admin on both the server and workstation. All works fine when logged in
as a different user.

I'm stumped - thoughts?

stumped-in-excel

      5th May 2010
I'm running sever 2003 and xp pro SP3 on the workstation.

"stumped-in-excel" wrote:

> One of my users is complaining about not being able to modify documents on
> the server while logged in under her username/password. Her rights are set
> to Admin on both the server and workstation. All works fine when logged in
> as a different user.
>
> I'm stumped - thoughts?

John Wunderlich

      6th May 2010
=?Utf-8?B?c3R1bXBlZC1pbi1leGNlbA==?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> One of my users is complaining about not being able to modify
>> documents on the server while logged in under her
>> username/password. Her rights are set to Admin on both the
>> server and workstation. All works fine when logged in as a
>> different user.
>>
>> I'm stumped - thoughts?
>>

> I'm running sever 2003 and xp pro SP3 on the workstation.
>
> "stumped-in-excel" wrote:

First of all, realize that file/folder permissions can easily be set to
not allow access by "administrators". So just because a user has admin
privilege, he may not be able to access an object (although he probably
has capability to change those permissions).

Since the object in question is on a server, it is the server
permissions that apply. Bring up a command window (start->run->"cmd")
and enter the following command:
cacls \\servername\share\path\file_folder
or, if it is a mapped drive (e.g. x,
cacls x:\path\file_folder

where "servername" is replaced with your server name, "share" is
replaced with the share name, "path" replaced with the path to the
object in question, and "file_folder" is replaced with the file or
folder name. This will show the permissions that are currently in
effect for that object. Type the command "cacls /?" for a description
of terms.

It could be that a server group has been defined with access to this
object and your user is not a part of that group.

HTH,
John