Nikon LS-2000 and LS-30 and Windows 7

Barry Watzman

      4th Jan 2010
I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
32-bit.

This is a native installation:

-Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
-Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
-Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
-Nikon Scan 3.1.2

Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:

-Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
-"Run as Administrator"
-Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions

The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).

Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.

Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
virtualization technology.

Barry Watzman

      3rd Feb 2010
A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
the 2906 (MAYBE)).

If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
"narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.

[Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]

For laptop use: Many modern laptops do not have a "PC Card" (PCMCIA)
slot, instead they have an "Express Card" slot. There is a way around
this limitation, Newegg sells a $40 adapter from Rosewill (item #
N82E16839200010) that allows CARDBUS (ONLY) PC Cards to be used in an
Express Card slot. It works with the Adaptec 1480 Cardbus SCSI PC Card.
Alternatively, you could use VueScan and a RATOC SCSI to {USB or
Firewire} converter (2 separate converters), but neither VueScan nor the
Ratoc converters are free, this is an expensive solution (although it
works and converts the scanner to USB or Firewire). Note that Nikon
Scan will not work with either of the Ratoc converters.

Regarding ASPI installation: The batch file that did the installation
under XP (but that you can't use under Windows 7) executes 3 relevant
steps. Two of the three steps just copy files from the ASPI
installation folder to a pair of Windows folders:

COPY ASPIXP.SYS C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS
COPY WNASPIXP.DLL C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL

This is just a straight file copy and can be done manually (via "drag
and drop").

The 3rd step just runs the program REG_XP.EXE, which, again, can be done
manually (set the compatibility mode to XP SP2, set "run as
administrator" and give "Full Control" to "All Users" before running
this program). Also, to the extent possible, perform these 3
compatibility configuration steps as well on the two files that you
manually copied after they are copied to their destination locations).

Again, this ONLY works on 32-bit Windows 7 (or Vista); there is no hope
for any 64-bit OS (I'm not sure if "XP Mode" might work or not when
using a 64-bit version of Windows 7).

Barry Watzman wrote:
> I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
> 32-bit.
>
> This is a native installation:
>
> -Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
> -Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
> -Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
> -Nikon Scan 3.1.2
>
> Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
> installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
> MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:
>
> -Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
> -"Run as Administrator"
> -Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions
>
> The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
> installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
> programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
> to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
> applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).
>
> Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.
>
> Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
> installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
> either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
> you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
> virtualization technology.

Barry Watzman

      5th Feb 2010
Re: "There is another possible option for Win7 users - it's possible
that some of the more advanced Linux based Live CD's may be able to run
these scanners."

In fact one of my customers confirmed to me that he did this and that it
worked for him (not sure which Linux or scanning software he was using).
Personally, I don't consider it an acceptable solution (ok, I'm a
Windows bigot), but in fact it is an option.

Nigel Feltham wrote:
> [...]

> the more advanced Linux based Live CD's may be able to run these scanners.
> Nothing needs to be installed to try these CD's as the OS runs entirely from
> the CD - and if you scan to a USB drive they won't touch your hard drive at
> all (they'll still run on a machine with no hard drive fitted).
>
> The point being if it becomes difficult to install your scanner on newer
> windows versions or impossible if you have an unsupported SCSI card this
> option may get you out of a hole with the minor inconvenience of booting
> from a CD each time you want to do a scan and being on CD it's virtually
> future proof unless the disc gets scratched (it can't get killed off with
> any future MS service packs).
>
> I know Knoppix versions of Linux usually support these Nikon scanners (have
> to use native Linux scanning tools though unless you run vuescan from a

Barry Watzman

      7th Mar 2010
Re: "I'm trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i
run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device (the scanner) I'm
trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. I want to know which driver are you
using for the coolscan III scanner."

The drivers for the Nikon scanner are part of Nikon Scan 3.1.2. But I
don't think that's your problem.

The symptom you report is usually caused by failing to have a fully and
properly installed ASPI layer of software. The version I used is 4.71a2
(aka 4.71.2) This normally comes from Adapted (and they are a bitch to
install under Windows 7), but the Adaptec versions of ASPI will only
work with an Adaptec SCSI card. I STRONGLY suggest that you get an
Adaptec 2940 series card (either the 2940U or 2940AU (not any of the "W"
[wide] variants).

Also note that a native installation is absolutely impossible under
64-bit versions of Windows 7 (or, for that matter, Vista or even XP).
This is only possible with 32-bit Windows (you MIGHT have a chance with
64-bit Windows and "XP Mode", I have not tried that myself).

[Text of older posts on this subject follow]

Martin wrote:
> Barry,
> first at all thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device (the scanner) I'm trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. I want to know which driver are you using for the coolscan III scanner.
> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://compgroups.net/comp.periphs.s...-and-Windows-7

New Member

      20th Mar 2010
i don't have a 2940, and have been having trouble too - have been trying with a 29160U2W, which was in my machine already, will try again with a 2940U2W i found lying around.

this is the output from querying the aspi service:

C:\Users\user>sc query aspi32

SERVICE_NAME: aspi32
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 2 (0x2)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

this would imply that the reg_xp.exe file has run, because the right service has been created in the registry.
and this is what happens if i try to start it with sc:

C:\Windows\system32>sc start aspi32
[SC] StartService FAILED 2:

if i try a regsvr32 wnaspi32.dll, i get 'The module "wnaspi32.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "wnaspi32.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again'

still plugging away, will try the other card later today.

Andrew Toms

      8th Apr 2010
Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am so close I can
taste it, but not there yet.

We have;
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
2GB RAM
Nikon LS-2000
Adaptec 2490U/UW (I am not sure how to tell which is which) -has a
HD68F socket on the back plate
ASPI 4.7 correctly (I think) installed
So far;
The SCSI card "sees" and identifies the scanner when the PC boots up
When I open the NikonScan (v3.1.2) s/w, it no longer gives a "device
not found" error.

BUT -when I open NikonScan, the splash screen never goes away -it just
'hangs' at this point.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

> Martin wrote:
> > Barry,
> > first at all thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to install acoolscan III under Windows 7, but when i run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device (the scanner) I'm trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card.I want to know which driver are you using for the coolscan III scanner.
> > Thanks in advance for your reply. *

> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:http://compgroups.net/comp.periphs.s...00-and-LS-30-a...

Barry Watzman

      8th Apr 2010
The 68-pin socket on the back of your 2940 means it's an "ultra-wide"
variant (2940UW; UW = Ultra Wide). This is not the preferred card for a
Nikon scanner, although it can be made to work with the right cable,
termination and configuration. The 2940U/2940AU (narrow cards with a
50-pin connector on the back) are really preferred. You can usually
find these on E-Bay for $5 or less (sometimes for $1) plus about $5 more
for shipping.

You may have a bad or wrong cable. The fact that you are connecting a
50-pin (narrow) device to a 68-pin (wide) SCSI card introduces a lot of
variables would simply go away if you had the narrow version of the
card. Given that the cost is so low, I'd be inclined to replace the
card unless you get it resolved. [In particular, the "wide" scsi bus
has lines that do not connect to anything/anywhere, but which may still
need to be terminated.]

It's also possible that the scanner itself is defective. Does it pass
it's power on self-test?

Andrew Toms wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am so close I can
> taste it, but not there yet.
>
> We have;
> Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
> 2GB RAM
> Nikon LS-2000
> Adaptec 2490U/UW (I am not sure how to tell which is which) -has a
> HD68F socket on the back plate
> ASPI 4.7 correctly (I think) installed
> So far;
> The SCSI card "sees" and identifies the scanner when the PC boots up
> When I open the NikonScan (v3.1.2) s/w, it no longer gives a "device
> not found" error.
>
> BUT -when I open NikonScan, the splash screen never goes away -it just
> 'hangs' at this point.
>
> Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
>
>> Martin wrote:
>>> Barry,
>>> first at all thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device (the scanner) I'm trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. I want to know which driver are you using for the coolscan III scanner.
>>> Thanks in advance for your reply.
>>> ---
>>> frmsrcurl:http://compgroups.net/comp.periphs.s...00-and-LS-30-a...

Andrew Toms

      9th Apr 2010
Thanks Barry,

The Adaptec 2940UW card was free, so I thought I would give it a go
(the scanner cost me $150 on Craigslist).
The SCSI cable is brand new (StarTech HD68-to-HD50).
Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow blink
1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). It does not make
any noise, and I cannot see a lamp illuminate anywhere (as opposed to
flatbed scanners, which often do this?). This device is new to me, so
I am not sure what it is "supposed" to do. No manual or instructions
came with it.
The Adaptec card appears to recognize the scanner -when the PC powers-
up, the SCSI BIOS screen comes up, and it identifies a Nikon LS2000
scanner ID#2 -I took that to be a good sign.
I did verify more closely that I have the right ASPI layer installed,
the ASPICHK gives me back the correct versions (4.7 etc) that I have
seen posted elsewhere.

Willing to poke at it a bit more (and try a different card if they are
that cheap) before giving up.

On Apr 8, 10:43*am, Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The 68-pin socket on the back of your 2940 means it's an "ultra-wide"
> variant (2940UW; UW = Ultra Wide). *This is not the preferred card for a
> Nikon scanner, although it can be made to work with the right cable,
> termination and configuration. *The 2940U/2940AU (narrow cards with a
> 50-pin connector on the back) are really preferred. *You can usually
> find these on E-Bay for $5 or less (sometimes for $1) plus about $5 more
> for shipping.
>
> You may have a bad or wrong cable. *The fact that you are connecting a
> 50-pin (narrow) device to a 68-pin (wide) SCSI card introduces a lot of
> variables would simply go away if you had the narrow version of the
> card. *Given that the cost is so low, I'd be inclined to replace the
> card unless you get it resolved. *[In particular, the "wide" scsi bus
> has lines that do not connect to anything/anywhere, but which may still
> need to be terminated.]
>
> It's also possible that the scanner itself is defective. *Does it pass
> it's power on self-test?

Andrew Toms

      9th Apr 2010
UPDATE

Things got much more interesting once I found and removed the transit
lock screw on the underside of the unit (there is another one in the
back panel).
NikonScan still would not recognize the device. BUT -Hamrick VueScan
DOES see it, and it runs. I got one fuzzy preview image from a slide,
everything else is a fuzzy wash. I am suspecting the leadscrew drive
might be jammed at end of travel (I can now see the LEDS illuminating
the front edge of my slide, but it never "scans").

On Apr 9, 8:22*am, Andrew Toms <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks Barry,
>
> The Adaptec 2940UW card was free, so I thought I would give it a go
> (the scanner cost me $150 on Craigslist).
> The SCSI cable is brand new (StarTech HD68-to-HD50).
> Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow blink
> 1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). It does not make
> any noise, and I cannot see a lamp illuminate anywhere (as opposed to
> flatbed scanners, which often do this?). This device is new to me, so
> I am not sure what it is "supposed" to do. No manual or instructions
> came with it.
> The Adaptec card appears to recognize the scanner -when the PC powers-
> up, the SCSI BIOS screen comes up, and it identifies a Nikon LS2000
> scanner ID#2 -I took that to be a good sign.
> I did verify more closely that I have the right ASPI layer installed,
> the ASPICHK gives me back the correct versions (4.7 etc) that I have
> seen posted elsewhere.
>
> Willing to poke at it a bit more (and try a different card if they are
> that cheap) before giving up.

Barry Watzman

      12th Apr 2010
WHOA !!!

Re: "Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow
blink 1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). "

YOUR SCANNER IS DEFECTIVE. PERIOD.

If, during self-test, the scanner ***EVER*** blinks fast, even though it
will stop, the scanner is defective.

You can stop right now. The scanner itself is defective and needs
service. And Nikon no longer services these scanners.

Please contact me directly by E-Mail ((E-Mail Removed))