nic recognition problem

dahodges

      18th Nov 2003
I have a 7 computer peer-to-peer network connected through
a 15 port hub. Each machine is running winxp sp1. I have
one machine that I cannot get on the network. I am
convinced the physical connection is ok. I've tested the
line and I have a light at both the computer and hub.
When I pull the plug on the connection, winxp gives me the
network cable unplugged message. However, if I try to
ping the hub I get a host destination unreachable
message. ipconfig/renew gives me similar results. I have
reinstalled the drivers several times to no avail. I'ts
almost like windows sees the card at one level, but
someplace else in the tcp/ip stack it does not. Does
anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this problem. If
I had any hair I'd be pulling it out. Thanks!

Alvin A Brown

      18th Nov 2003
Hello

One thing to keep in mind, is that XP Home has 5 connections only
and XP Pro has 10 ok also you have not mention if your running Hm
or XP Pro, so can you provide that info

Alvin

dahodges wrote:

> I have a 7 computer peer-to-peer network connected through
> a 15 port hub. Each machine is running winxp sp1. I have
> one machine that I cannot get on the network. I am
> convinced the physical connection is ok. I've tested the
> line and I have a light at both the computer and hub.
> When I pull the plug on the connection, winxp gives me the
> network cable unplugged message. However, if I try to
> ping the hub I get a host destination unreachable
> message. ipconfig/renew gives me similar results. I have
> reinstalled the drivers several times to no avail. I'ts
> almost like windows sees the card at one level, but
> someplace else in the tcp/ip stack it does not. Does
> anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this problem. If
> I had any hair I'd be pulling it out. Thanks!

      18th Nov 2003
All machines are running winxp pro