news command disapeared in outlook 2003

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=

      27th Nov 2003
Hi,
I have just installed office 2003 and in outlook 2003 I was attempting to move the NEWS command onto the go menu and it dropped off my mouse pointer and I can not find it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of time in an attempt to fix this, but have had no success. Every time I install it picks up the old defaults.
Does anyone know how I can get the news reader to start?
Thanks,
Charlie

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      27th Nov 2003
To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have just installed office 2003 and in outlook 2003 I was attempting to

move the NEWS command onto the go menu and it dropped off my mouse pointer
and I can not find it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of time
in an attempt to fix this, but have had no success. Every time I install it
picks up the old defaults.
> Does anyone know how I can get the news reader to start?
> Thanks,
> Charlie

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=

      27th Nov 2003
Thanks for the response, but it didn't work. Outlook 2003 still does not give me an option or command to use outlook as my news reader
If you think of anything else please let me know
Thanks
Charlie

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      27th Nov 2003
I don't understand your question. What option are you looking for? Outlook
is not and never will be a news reader. Outlook uses OE for news reading.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the response, but it didn't work. Outlook 2003 still does not

give me an option or command to use outlook as my news reader.
> If you think of anything else please let me know.
> Thanks,
> Charlie

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?=

      27th Nov 2003
Outlook 2003 comes with Outlook Newsreader. To access the newsreader you need to add the command to one of the toolbars (the documentation that comes with office 2003 advises to add it to go) via View\toolbars\customise, and select Commands tab, categories (e.g. "go") and then drag news from the comnmand options onto "go" and you can then start the outlook newsreader
When I was attempting this the command dropped of my mose pointer and has dissapeared. I am attempting to get the command back
Thanks

Charlie

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      27th Nov 2003
That "Outlook Newsreader" is Outlook Express. Outlook does not come with it,
your operating system does. Outlook simply calls OE with its News command.
Users of Outlook 2003 often lose that command when they are configured
incorrectly. The solution I posted is the only one that we've found that
works consistently. If you lost yours through some other means, reset your
Toolbar or rename outcmd.dat with Outlook closed, then restart Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Outlook 2003 comes with Outlook Newsreader. To access the newsreader you

need to add the command to one of the toolbars (the documentation that comes
with office 2003 advises to add it to go) via View\toolbars\customise, and
select Commands tab, categories (e.g. "go") and then drag news from the
comnmand options onto "go" and you can then start the outlook newsreader.
> When I was attempting this the command dropped of my mose pointer and has

dissapeared. I am attempting to get the command back.
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

pcamen

      13th Dec 2003

Hi,

I had the same problem. When I chose Outlook Express as the news
reader, the command reappeared in the go menu. When I clicked on it
what comes up has the name "Outlook News Reader." When it started, i
said that "Outlook News Reader" is not the default news reader. Woul
you like to set it as the default? When I click yes, and go back t
the internet settings, the program for news is blank.

Pete

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      14th Dec 2003
Click no.