newest security update messed up my computer

Undrdwg Barked!

      14th Jan 2009
Windows would not start normally after the latest automatic ms security
update. I had to roll back to a previous configuration .... what's up with
that?

t-4-2

      14th Jan 2009
What is the KB number of that update ?
t-4-2

"Undrdwg Barked!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows would not start normally after the latest automatic ms security
> update. I had to roll back to a previous configuration .... what's up
> with that?

Undrdwg Barked!

      14th Jan 2009
There were three updates run at the same time :
KB905866 (Windows Junk Email Filter update)
KB958687 (Security update for Windows Vista)
KB890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)

after the updates were installed, I rebooted the machine and windows would
not start normally. Windows started ok in Safe mode. Returning to previous
configuration allowed windows to start normally.

"t-4-2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the KB number of that update ?
> t-4-2
>
> "Undrdwg Barked!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows would not start normally after the latest automatic ms security
>> update. I had to roll back to a previous configuration .... what's up
>> with that?

t-4-2

      14th Jan 2009
I went to check my update history, they were installed in my computer on
1/13/09. I have no problem so far.
t-4-2

"Undrdwg Barked!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There were three updates run at the same time :
> KB905866 (Windows Junk Email Filter update)
> KB958687 (Security update for Windows Vista)
> KB890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)
>
> after the updates were installed, I rebooted the machine and windows would
> not start normally. Windows started ok in Safe mode. Returning to
> previous configuration allowed windows to start normally.
>

> "t-4-2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What is the KB number of that update ?
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Undrdwg Barked!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Windows would not start normally after the latest automatic ms security
>>> update. I had to roll back to a previous configuration .... what's up
>>> with that?

golderm

      15th Jan 2009
I think it is KB958687, i work in a domain with 50 systems, one BSOD'd about
devicemanager, another froze before logon, and one froze after logon.
Some systems installed this update problem free though so maybe it's
hardware specific

Bill Sanderson

      16th Jan 2009
If you have some time, you may want to call Microsoft:

1-866-pcsafety in the US or Canada.

It is useful to call Microsoft in a situation like this for several reasons:

1) They will have up-to-the-minute information about any issues that have
been found as the update is distributed.
2) It will help them, and all the rest of us, if they hear how many
customers are affected about a possible issue with an update.

Basically, it helps everybody if they hear directly about a problem, and it
may help you, specifically, if they have a fix for your issue which may not
be sufficiently tested to be distributed publicly yet.