New system will not post

beoweolf

      5th Aug 2006
I decided to update my Intel 1.6cpu...it is,was the last Intel box in my
network. Decided to update to AMD2 socket, DDR, 3800+... Thent he fun began!

All the M/B required PCI express card, Ka-ching, Next, all the boards
requried DDR2,Ka-ching, Ka-ching. None of the "inexpensive" boards had more
than 2 IDE slots, so new M/B, Ka-ching, Ka-ching, Ka-ching! Format doesn't
fit the old case... OK, bottom line, I have a new system, new case, New
power supply (old 20 pin is not replaced with New 24 pin, ....just in case).

System will not post no matter what. The system is on a KVM, so that is my
next magical trick, to see if it will boot/post with old tech CRT, Keyboard
and wired mouse.

symptom: everything spins up, no video display (using either on-board video
or PCI-e card, check memory and re-seated it several times...beep at
start-up can be either memory not recognised or Video not being recognise.

I did try a SATA drive as well as the previous drives from the old system
(WD caviar's 40Gb - 2001 and 2003...they are still running strong since 2001
and 2003 on the second). I have stripped everything not totally necessary
for boot up, still no post and that same damned, mocking beep. new case is
Antec, new M/B is Gigabyte.

Any diagnostic help will be appreciated.

beoweolf

      5th Aug 2006
It was, as suspected ... Memory! ..., had to have a hard to heart with the
cleark. But finally got an exchange (and a warning that it was one time
thing).

Traded up tp Corsair, installed them, the machine booted without any
additional drama. Having to repair the OS, install - Server does not like it
when you swap processors, M/B, Memory and add components at the same time.

I don't know if the issue was OCZ memory in general or just the batch I got.
I was tempted to trade for the same, but I couldn't chance it after all the
crap I had to go thru to isolate it down to memory.

I just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that new memory, fresh out of
the box would be the problem? I'm a victim of my own propaganda, that being
"components are so generic, that Mtbf is so long and intial failure rates
are so low...most non-mechanical components are near bullet proof". Now I'm
back to being a skeptic.

"beoweolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4s1Bg.1253$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I decided to update my Intel 1.6cpu...it is,was the last Intel box in my
>network. Decided to update to AMD2 socket, DDR, 3800+... Thent he fun
>began!
>
> All the M/B required PCI express card, Ka-ching, Next, all the boards
> requried DDR2,Ka-ching, Ka-ching. None of the "inexpensive" boards had
> more than 2 IDE slots, so new M/B, Ka-ching, Ka-ching, Ka-ching! Format
> doesn't fit the old case... OK, bottom line, I have a new system, new
> case, New power supply (old 20 pin is not replaced with New 24 pin,
> ....just in case).
>
> System will not post no matter what. The system is on a KVM, so that is my
> next magical trick, to see if it will boot/post with old tech CRT,
> Keyboard and wired mouse.
>
> symptom: everything spins up, no video display (using either on-board
> video or PCI-e card, check memory and re-seated it several times...beep at
> start-up can be either memory not recognised or Video not being recognise.
>
> I did try a SATA drive as well as the previous drives from the old system
> (WD caviar's 40Gb - 2001 and 2003...they are still running strong since
> 2001 and 2003 on the second). I have stripped everything not totally
> necessary for boot up, still no post and that same damned, mocking beep.
> new case is Antec, new M/B is Gigabyte.
>
> Any diagnostic help will be appreciated.

Philip Sack

      6th Aug 2006
Interesting, I had the opposite with my epox board. Corsair was screwing up
bad but OCZ has worked perfectly. I would think coincidental bad memory
before compatibility issues, but you never know.

news:C07Bg.3214$(E-Mail Removed)...