New Site Creation------------Where to Promote New Server?

Junk

      21st Jan 2004
I am creating a new site (first one) for an existing 2K domain. I was
wondering which order should I follow.

Open up AD Sites and Services > Create new site > Create new site subnet >
Create Site Link.
Now should I then physically take the new member server over to the new
site, assign it a static IP change the DNS entry to the Win2k PDC then
promote it to a Domain Controller, or should I promote it to a domain
controller in the head office, then move it over to the satelite office and
change ip and stuff. I read, promote it at the site which it will be housed,
AD will put the new server object in the site based on it's subnet.

Junk

Richard McCall [MSFT]

      21st Jan 2004
if it was me. I would Create the Site, Sitelink and subnet, DCpromo the
member server in the central hub, and then move it to the site in AD Sites
and Services. Once this was replicated then I would shut it down and move it
to the site location.

--
Richard McCall [MSFT]

rights."
"Junk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:soAPb.15251$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am creating a new site (first one) for an existing 2K domain. I was
> wondering which order should I follow.
>
> Open up AD Sites and Services > Create new site > Create new site subnet >
> Create Site Link.
> Now should I then physically take the new member server over to the new
> site, assign it a static IP change the DNS entry to the Win2k PDC then
> promote it to a Domain Controller, or should I promote it to a domain
> controller in the head office, then move it over to the satelite office

and
> change ip and stuff. I read, promote it at the site which it will be

housed,
> AD will put the new server object in the site based on it's subnet.
>
> Junk

Chriss3

      21st Jan 2004
Change the IP subnet of the subnet before you promote it to an DC, then you
don't need to more the server object.

--
Regards,

Christoffer Andersson
If the information was help full, you can let me know at:
http://www.itsystem.se/employers.asp?ID=1

"Junk" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:soAPb.15251$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am creating a new site (first one) for an existing 2K domain. I was
> wondering which order should I follow.
>
> Open up AD Sites and Services > Create new site > Create new site subnet >
> Create Site Link.
> Now should I then physically take the new member server over to the new
> site, assign it a static IP change the DNS entry to the Win2k PDC then
> promote it to a Domain Controller, or should I promote it to a domain
> controller in the head office, then move it over to the satelite office

and
> change ip and stuff. I read, promote it at the site which it will be

housed,
> AD will put the new server object in the site based on it's subnet.
>
> Junk

David Brandt [MSFT]

      21st Jan 2004
Several ways to do the same thing in win2k and either would work, and
sometimes just comes down to personal preference. Some will add the new dc
into an existing site (if they have slow links etc), create new site and
associate the subnet with that site, link/s, etc, then physically move it
there and change the IP config info on it.
Others will create the new site/IP info first, then promote it up with it
physically being in the desired physical site already having its IP etc. If
good bandwidth, people there, etc not a problem.

A lot of it depends on bandwidth (or lack there of) as there will be a hit
on the initial AD info download so if slow links are involved then a lot do
it in the main site to get faster promotion etc and then move it. Also if
actually getting to the physical site, and/or the amount of time wanting to
spend there doing all of that etc.
I move dc's back and forth between sites frequently, and as long as dns is
ok, there is/are site link/s and the site/s are associated with the right
subnets it shouldn't be a problem.

--
David Brandt
Microsoft Corporation

newsgroup purposes only.
"Junk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:soAPb.15251$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am creating a new site (first one) for an existing 2K domain. I was
> wondering which order should I follow.
>
> Open up AD Sites and Services > Create new site > Create new site subnet >
> Create Site Link.
> Now should I then physically take the new member server over to the new
> site, assign it a static IP change the DNS entry to the Win2k PDC then
> promote it to a Domain Controller, or should I promote it to a domain
> controller in the head office, then move it over to the satelite office

and
> change ip and stuff. I read, promote it at the site which it will be

housed,
> AD will put the new server object in the site based on it's subnet.
>
> Junk

Junk

      21st Jan 2004
Hey guys thanks for a speedy response.

Fortunately we have lots of bandwidth between the WAN. It's just that I did
it the first time and it messed up the AD. Actually, I think the AD was
messed up before I inherited this network. I mean this is simple stuff
right, should work if DNS is set up correctly, .....right. One thing most
forget is to check the Global Catalogue check box for speedy logons.

I am just rebuilding the first server on a separate hard drive now, yes new
domain! Then I will create the site here and dcpromo the server in the new
site.

Junk, MCSE

"David Brandt [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400eda8e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Several ways to do the same thing in win2k and either would work, and
> sometimes just comes down to personal preference. Some will add the new

dc
> into an existing site (if they have slow links etc), create new site and
> associate the subnet with that site, link/s, etc, then physically move it
> there and change the IP config info on it.
> Others will create the new site/IP info first, then promote it up with it
> physically being in the desired physical site already having its IP etc.

If
> good bandwidth, people there, etc not a problem.
>
> A lot of it depends on bandwidth (or lack there of) as there will be a hit
> on the initial AD info download so if slow links are involved then a lot

do
> it in the main site to get faster promotion etc and then move it. Also if
> actually getting to the physical site, and/or the amount of time wanting

> spend there doing all of that etc.
> I move dc's back and forth between sites frequently, and as long as dns is
> ok, there is/are site link/s and the site/s are associated with the right
> subnets it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> --
> David Brandt
> Microsoft Corporation