New Server to Become Primary Domain Controller

=?Utf-8?B?S2JpcmQ=?=

      7th Dec 2005
I currently have one Domain Controller that also runs Exchange. I believe the
server is running Windows 2000 Server Standard and the Exchange is 2000 or
2003. I need to add a new server that is running Windows 2003 Server
Standard. This server will become the main Domain Controller(i.e. PDC). I was
planning on promoting the new server to a DC and then transfering the FSMO
Roles. Is there anything else I need to consider? Is there a different and/or
better way?

Thanks!

Jorge de Almeida Pinto

      7th Dec 2005
The following articles will helps you in your migration from W2K/E2K to
W2K3/E2K3 and especially when doing an in-place upgrade of the domain:
* MS-KBQ314649_W2K3 ADPREP Command Causes Mangled Attributes in W2K Forests
That Contain E2K Servers (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314649)

* MS-KBQ293783_Cannot Upgrade Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003
with Windows Services for UNIX 2.0 Installed
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=293783)

* MS-KBQ887426_Incorrect Schema extension for OS X prevents ForestPrep from
completing in Windows 2000 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887426)
* MS-KBQ325379_How to Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows
Server 2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325379)
* MS-KBQ555040_Common Mistakes When Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain To Windows
2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555040)
* MS-KBQ324392_Enhancements to Adprep.exe in Windows Server 2003 Service
Pack 1 and in hotfix 324392 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324392)
* Also see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...7baa73419.mspx)
* What do I need to do to prepare my Windows 2000 forest for the
installation of the first Windows Server 2003 DC?
(http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_adprep.htm)
* MS-KBQ555038_How to enable Windows 98-ME-NT clients to logon to Windows
2003 based Domains (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555038)
* MS-KBQ555262_Common Mistakes When Upgrading Exchange 5.5-2000 To a
Exchange 2003 (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555262)
* MS-KBQ822942_Considerations When You Upgrade to Exchange Server 2003
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822942)

--
Cheers,
# Jorge de Almeida Pinto #
"Kbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I currently have one Domain Controller that also runs Exchange. I believe
>the
> server is running Windows 2000 Server Standard and the Exchange is 2000 or
> 2003. I need to add a new server that is running Windows 2003 Server
> Standard. This server will become the main Domain Controller(i.e. PDC). I
> was
> planning on promoting the new server to a DC and then transfering the FSMO
> Roles. Is there anything else I need to consider? Is there a different
> and/or
> better way?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?S2JpcmQ=?=