New Motherboard old HD...how to install ?

My65notch

      27th Oct 2003
Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.) but.......I
want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want to do a
full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going to be
some issues somewhere.

Dan

Ben Pope

      27th Oct 2003
My65notch wrote:
> Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
> Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
> I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.)
> but.......I want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
> Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want
> to do a full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that
> there's going to be some issues somewhere.

With Win98 what I tend to do when changing chipset is to boot to safe mode,
remove _all_ devices from device manager, shut down, swap motherboard, power
on, cross fingers.

You will want to have all of your new drivers to hand - preferably all
sitting in a directory structure, unzipped and ready to go. Any drivers
that were installed for devices before, such as video card should just
install themselves again, but still worth having them handy.

Don't be surprised if you have problems though, always expect to have to do
an install over the top, but preferably a clean one. If the above works,
think of it as a bonus.

Ben

Barry Watzman

      27th Oct 2003
You should be able to plug in the hard drive, but in all probability you
will be FORCED to do a Windows reinstallation, there are huge changes
from a P2B to any Pentium 4 system, and while you might "get lucky",
it's more likely that they system will never be truly stable until you
do a new installation.

Have you considered setting up dual boot, with Windows 98SE on C:,
Windows XP on D:, and your data files on E:?

My65notch wrote:

> Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
> Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
> I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.) but.......I
> want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
> Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want to do a
> full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going to be
> some issues somewhere.
>
> Dan

stanmc

      27th Oct 2003
My65notch wrote:
> Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
> Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
> I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.) but.......I
> want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
> Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want to do a
> full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going to be
> some issues somewhere.
>
> Dan

Here is an interesting article on the subject.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...rd/win98me.htm

FVe

      27th Oct 2003

"Ben Pope" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bnjada$11mqmb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> My65notch wrote:
> > Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
> > Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
> > I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.)
> > but.......I want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
> > Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want
> > to do a full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that
> > there's going to be some issues somewhere.

> With Win98 what I tend to do when changing chipset is to boot to safe

mode,
> remove _all_ devices from device manager, shut down, swap motherboard,

power
> on, cross fingers.
>
> You will want to have all of your new drivers to hand - preferably all
> sitting in a directory structure, unzipped and ready to go. Any drivers
> that were installed for devices before, such as video card should just
> install themselves again, but still worth having them handy.
>
> Don't be surprised if you have problems though, always expect to have to

do
> an install over the top, but preferably a clean one. If the above works,
> think of it as a bonus.

I did this a few times: no problems at all.
Only once it gave me problems: from upgrading a P200MMX/W95 to a PIV/W98SE

The solution in the last one was:
goto DOS, check the CD is still functional.
Delete the file c:\windows\win.com
Run setup from the CD - full version.

Now the setup "thinks" it is an upgrade and will act like that. So the
installed programs, menus, favorites etc etc kept the way they were. Besides
that, you get a "fresh" install.

b.t.w.: make a good backup/image of your drive.

hth

Frank

DaveW

      29th Oct 2003
Replacing the motherboard without reinstalling the OS can lead to Registry
errors.

--
DaveW

"My65notch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
> Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
> I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.)

but.......I
> want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
> Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want to

do a
> full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going

to be
> some issues somewhere.
>
> Dan

John

      29th Oct 2003

You won't have any problems. You not dealing with a piece of **** like
WinXP. Just plug it in. Boot all the way into windows. Once it finishes
booting load the new motherboard drivers.