New Microsoft Programs: Window Title Bars

Jim in Canada

      14th Jul 2009
I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.

I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?

Thanks,
Jim

Leonard Grey

      14th Jul 2009
I have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11. They look like Windows
XP. No 'Vista look' of any kind.

Try this: Control Panel > Display > Themes tab > choose the Windows XP
theme.

If you installed third-party themes or third-party desktop customization
programs, like WindowBlinds, get rid of them.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jim in Canada wrote:
> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
> etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
>
> I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
> windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
> windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Jim in Canada

      14th Jul 2009
With Media Player running:

Ctrl+M

Turns the Classic Menu on and off.

Jim

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11. They look like Windows
> XP. No 'Vista look' of any kind.
>
> Try this: Control Panel > Display > Themes tab > choose the Windows XP
> theme.
>
> If you installed third-party themes or third-party desktop customization
> programs, like WindowBlinds, get rid of them.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jim in Canada wrote:
> > I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
> > etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
> >
> > I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
> > windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
> > windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Jim in Canada

      14th Jul 2009
No Blinds or 3rd party stuff for themes. Not my style

Just installed Windows Live Mail, on my XP machine, and it has a "Vista"
look to it. Except for the "glass" effect.

I did find if I maximise the Live Mail window, the Vista minimize, restore
and close buttons disappear, and then are replaced by standard XP's.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11. They look like Windows
> XP. No 'Vista look' of any kind.
>
> Try this: Control Panel > Display > Themes tab > choose the Windows XP
> theme.
>
> If you installed third-party themes or third-party desktop customization
> programs, like WindowBlinds, get rid of them.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jim in Canada wrote:
> > I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
> > etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
> >
> > I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
> > windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
> > windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Leonard Grey

      14th Jul 2009
Live Mail is an online service. It can look any way Microsoft wants it
to look (which, you understand, is as much about marketing as anything
else.) That doesn't mean your operating system will look that way.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jim in Canada wrote:
> No Blinds or 3rd party stuff for themes. Not my style
>
> Just installed Windows Live Mail, on my XP machine, and it has a "Vista"
> look to it. Except for the "glass" effect.
>
> I did find if I maximise the Live Mail window, the Vista minimize, restore
> and close buttons disappear, and then are replaced by standard XP's.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11. They look like Windows
>> XP. No 'Vista look' of any kind.
>>
>> Try this: Control Panel > Display > Themes tab > choose the Windows XP
>> theme.
>>
>> If you installed third-party themes or third-party desktop customization
>> programs, like WindowBlinds, get rid of them.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Jim in Canada wrote:
>>> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
>>> etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
>>>
>>> I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
>>> windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
>>> windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim

Mike Hall - MVP

      14th Jul 2009
"Jim in Canada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
> etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
>
> I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
> windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
> windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in mind that
XP is getting and looking old.

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Twayne

      14th Jul 2009
"Mike Hall - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Jim in Canada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live
>> Mail, etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in
>> XP. I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to
>> all my windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in
>> all of XP windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the
>> new programs? Thanks,
>> Jim
>>

> Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
> mind that XP is getting and looking old.

What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better yet
the LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!

RIP MS.

Mike Hall - MVP

      15th Jul 2009
"Twayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> "Jim in Canada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live
>>> Mail, etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in
>>> XP. I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to
>>> all my windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in
>>> all of XP windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the
>>> new programs? Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
>> mind that XP is getting and looking old.

> What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better yet the
> LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!
>
> RIP MS.

That is your choice..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Twayne

      15th Jul 2009
"Mike Hall - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)
> "Twayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Mike Hall - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>> "Jim in Canada" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
>>> mind that XP is getting and looking old.

>> What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better
>> yet the LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!
>>
>> RIP MS.
>>

> That is your choice..

Yup, it is: They've single-sourced/obsoleted/held me up for money as
much as they're going to get to. They tried to hijack me on two apps and
now are overpriced on just about everything they license in their plan
to force their cloud planning while they buy time with open source
pretensions.

Jim in Canada

      28th Jul 2009
Is Live Mail and Live Hotmail the same thing?

Live Mail is the new replacement for Outlook Express, yes, no?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...