New font name does not show up on Word 2003 font list

Clueless in Seattle

      2nd Nov 2006

I'm running Word 2003 under Windows 2000 Pro.

A few moments ago I downloaded a free font called Monotype Corsiva from
this web page:

http://designgraphics.org/modules.ph...=search&query=

The file that I downloaded was named: MTCORSIA.TTF

I closed my MS Office applications and then used Start>Settings>Control
Panel>Fonts>File>Install New Font and selected Monotype Corsiva.

I then reopend a document file with Word 2003 and clicked on the down
arrow to display the font list from the formatting toolbar to check to
make sure the font had been properly installed.

I was perplexed to find that on the font list, in the place where I
expected to find the font name "Monotype Corsiva" displayed, I instead
found a blank entry on the list.

But strangely, when I clicked on the blank entry, then the name
"Monotype Corsiva" would appear in the little box on the formatting
toolbar. And when I selected some text in the the Word document file
and then clicked on the blank entry in the font list, the text was
indeed reformatted with the "Montotype Corsiva" font.

So it appears that I've managed to successfully install the Monotype
Corsiva font. I just can't see its name on the drop down font list in
the formatting toolbar.

I'd be grateful to someone who could explain to me how to get the font
name to appear on the list.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      2nd Nov 2006
Why did you download it from some site when it's part of Office 2003?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...872311033.aspx

Since most of the fonts that come with Office cannot be legally downloaded
for free, I would suspect a faulty file. Uninstall it and then install it
from your Office CD.
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Clueless in Seattle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm running Word 2003 under Windows 2000 Pro.
>
> A few moments ago I downloaded a free font called Monotype Corsiva from
> this web page:
>

> http://designgraphics.org/modules.ph...=search&query=
>
> The file that I downloaded was named: MTCORSIA.TTF
>
> I closed my MS Office applications and then used Start>Settings>Control
> Panel>Fonts>File>Install New Font and selected Monotype Corsiva.
>
> I then reopend a document file with Word 2003 and clicked on the down
> arrow to display the font list from the formatting toolbar to check to
> make sure the font had been properly installed.
>
> I was perplexed to find that on the font list, in the place where I
> expected to find the font name "Monotype Corsiva" displayed, I instead
> found a blank entry on the list.
>
> But strangely, when I clicked on the blank entry, then the name
> "Monotype Corsiva" would appear in the little box on the formatting
> toolbar. And when I selected some text in the the Word document file
> and then clicked on the blank entry in the font list, the text was
> indeed reformatted with the "Montotype Corsiva" font.
>
> So it appears that I've managed to successfully install the Monotype
> Corsiva font. I just can't see its name on the drop down font list in
> the formatting toolbar.
>
> I'd be grateful to someone who could explain to me how to get the font
> name to appear on the list.
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"

Chuck Davis