Networking 98 with 2000

ELoRPS

      13th Aug 2003
Good day,

We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's backwards,,.but
that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3 Win
2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and the
rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer I
get this

\\Marla is not accessible
The parameter id incorrect

Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as well.

TCP/IP is present on all PC's
NETBUI is present on all PC"s
The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have full
access to each other's files.

This is very strange....

ELORPS

blackgold

      13th Aug 2003
And my problem with Win98SE and Win2000? My Win98SE can see another Win98SE
computer, so there is no problem here. But my Win98SE can also see the
Win2000 computer but it cannot open files from the Win2000 computer. A
window always opens asking for password (to open the file) which I have
never set for it. In any case I tried with all the passwords that I ever
used but to no avail. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks for your time.

"ELoRPS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good day,
>
> We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
> firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's

backwards,,.but
> that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
> employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3

Win
> 2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
> shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and

the
> rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer I
> get this
>
> \\Marla is not accessible
> The parameter id incorrect
>
> Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as

well.

> TCP/IP is present on all PC's
> NETBUI is present on all PC"s
> The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have full
> access to each other's files.
>
> This is very strange....
>
> ELORPS

Marina Roos

      13th Aug 2003
Make sure they are all in the same workgroup and that all useraccounts exist
on all W2K's.

Marina

"ELoRPS" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good day,
>
> We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
> firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's

backwards,,.but
> that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
> employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3

Win
> 2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
> shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and

the
> rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer I
> get this
>
> \\Marla is not accessible
> The parameter id incorrect
>
> Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as

well.

> TCP/IP is present on all PC's
> NETBUI is present on all PC"s
> The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have full
> access to each other's files.
>
> This is very strange....
>
> ELORPS

Brian Oakes [MSFT]

      13th Aug 2003
is the computer name marla?

or does it have a space in the name etc? I have seen a few cases over the
years where based on the computername you got that error. Change the Marla
computername to just aamarla with no spaces etc. Let's see if that makes a
difference.
--

Best regards,
Brian Oakes, MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

"ELoRPS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good day,
>
> We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
> firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's

backwards,,.but
> that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
> employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3

Win
> 2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
> shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and

the
> rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer I
> get this
>
> \\Marla is not accessible
> The parameter id incorrect
>
> Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as

well.

> TCP/IP is present on all PC's
> NETBUI is present on all PC"s
> The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have full
> access to each other's files.
>
> This is very strange....
>
> ELORPS

ELoRPS

      14th Aug 2003
yeah the computer name is just "Marla" no spaces or nothing,...It is
strange,..However her PC can see mine fine and share files no problem,...It
is weird how I cannot get into her shared drive. Workgroups are all the same
name,.all the same characters,.spelled exactly the same,...I have also
experiamented with diferent case spelling in the name as well,.No dice...???

--
ELoRPS
"Brian Oakes [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> is the computer name marla?
>
> or does it have a space in the name etc? I have seen a few cases over the
> years where based on the computername you got that error. Change the Marla
> computername to just aamarla with no spaces etc. Let's see if that makes a
> difference.
> --
>
> Best regards,
> Brian Oakes, MCSE
> Microsoft Product Support
> Windows 2000 Server Networking Team
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
> Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.
>
> "ELoRPS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Good day,
> >
> > We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
> > firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's

> backwards,,.but
> > that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
> > employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3

> Win
> > 2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
> > shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and

> the
> > rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer

> > get this
> >
> > \\Marla is not accessible
> > The parameter id incorrect
> >
> > Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as

> well.
> >
> > TCP/IP is present on all PC's
> > NETBUI is present on all PC"s
> > The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have

full
> > access to each other's files.
> >
> > This is very strange....
> >
> > ELORPS