networked printers

9h0s7

      18th Oct 2007
Greetings to all,
I have searched to, what seems, the ends of the internet for a way to
accomplish this and have yet been able to find a way that works. So
here is the problem. I work for an IT company that manages a good
number of companies providing a wide verity of repair, networking and
what ever else they might need. We are getting to the point where we
need to be able to track and report these companies electronic assets.
I have been able to write/modify/edit a vbs script that outputs an xls
spreed sheet of the things we are interested in as far as the PCs.
However, I can't find a way to get wmi to pick print servers. Note
that this is a printer that has an ip address like a pc and not a
printer that is shared over the network (that's easy). Please pardon
the long introduction but it was necessary to explain my position to
avoid 'say what?' replies. Thanks.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      18th Oct 2007
If the print devices support SNMP, you can would need to write a tool to
ping for SNMP print support. I don't know the RFC or what to query on. If
the device does not support SNMP then you'd still need to send someone to
the device and print the config page.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"9h0s7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings to all,
> I have searched to, what seems, the ends of the internet for a way to
> accomplish this and have yet been able to find a way that works. So
> here is the problem. I work for an IT company that manages a good
> number of companies providing a wide verity of repair, networking and
> what ever else they might need. We are getting to the point where we
> need to be able to track and report these companies electronic assets.
> I have been able to write/modify/edit a vbs script that outputs an xls
> spreed sheet of the things we are interested in as far as the PCs.
> However, I can't find a way to get wmi to pick print servers. Note
> that this is a printer that has an ip address like a pc and not a
> printer that is shared over the network (that's easy). Please pardon
> the long introduction but it was necessary to explain my position to
> avoid 'say what?' replies. Thanks.

9h0s7

      18th Oct 2007
Thanks for the response. Someone else mentioned HP Jet WebAdmin as a
solutions, however that requires a lengthy install (20+ mins due to
sql server install). I have found other programs to do it but they
don't work everytime.

On Oct 18, 2:17 pm, "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> If the print devices support SNMP, you can would need to write a tool to
> ping for SNMP print support. I don't know the RFC or what to query on. If
> the device does not support SNMP then you'd still need to send someone to
> the device and print the config page.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> "9h0s7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Greetings to all,
> > I have searched to, what seems, the ends of the internet for a way to
> > accomplish this and have yet been able to find a way that works. So
> > here is the problem. I work for an IT company that manages a good
> > number of companies providing a wide verity of repair, networking and
> > what ever else they might need. We are getting to the point where we
> > need to be able to track and report these companies electronic assets.
> > I have been able to write/modify/edit a vbs script that outputs an xls
> > spreed sheet of the things we are interested in as far as the PCs.
> > However, I can't find a way to get wmi to pick print servers. Note
> > that this is a printer that has an ip address like a pc and not a
> > printer that is shared over the network (that's easy). Please pardon
> > the long introduction but it was necessary to explain my position to
> > avoid 'say what?' replies. Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?dXJrZWM=?=

      18th Oct 2007
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> If the print devices support SNMP, you can would need to write a tool to
> ping for SNMP print support. I don't know the RFC or what to query on. If
> the device does not support SNMP then you'd still need to send someone to
> the device and print the config page.

I recently had similar issue and found some information here:

It turned out to be more complicated than I thaught, and I didn't have time
to persue it.

--
urkec