Network slow after upgrading to XP

Peter Parker

      16th Jan 2004
I have had problems with network speed on some machines after upgrading to
XP. The resolutions have been replacing networking cables or plugging in to
different ports on the network switch. At the time I just thought the cables
became defective and the port on the switch was bad. Today I chatted with
someone who is getting delay write errors after upgrading to XP. I told him
to replace hi network cable first (wall to machine not in the wall) and if
that doesn't work try a different port on his hub. When I did mine all were
clean install with latest drivers. Is this a common problem with XP? Why did
the previous OS (ME, 98, 2000) work fine before? Almost all the same
hardware and the machine worked fine back here when I loaded them.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

      16th Jan 2004
mostly, that happens on xp. you may need to set half duplex to match the
switch settings.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Peter Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had problems with network speed on some machines after upgrading to
> XP. The resolutions have been replacing networking cables or plugging in

> different ports on the network switch. At the time I just thought the

cables
> became defective and the port on the switch was bad. Today I chatted with
> someone who is getting delay write errors after upgrading to XP. I told

him
> to replace hi network cable first (wall to machine not in the wall) and if
> that doesn't work try a different port on his hub. When I did mine all

were
> clean install with latest drivers. Is this a common problem with XP? Why

did
> the previous OS (ME, 98, 2000) work fine before? Almost all the same
> hardware and the machine worked fine back here when I loaded them.

Raymond Cheung

      17th Jan 2004
Sirs,

I encounter the same problem, but not all type of file. In
my cases, the problem exists when opening a 5M excel file
on file server.

In addition, the switch we used are auto-netgotate.

Do you have any comment and suggestion ?

Thanks

heywood

      17th Jan 2004
tweakxp.com and other sites like this have lots of stuff
about this issue.

Peter Parker

      19th Jan 2004
?? What does that have to do with what I asked. All I did was replace the
cable, plug into a different port, &/or both. I did change any settings.
Plus our switch is auto negotiate.

"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mostly, that happens on xp. you may need to set half duplex to match the
> switch settings.
>
> --
> For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>
> Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
> Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more

help.

> Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
>
> "Peter Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have had problems with network speed on some machines after upgrading

> > XP. The resolutions have been replacing networking cables or plugging in

> > different ports on the network switch. At the time I just thought the

> cables
> > became defective and the port on the switch was bad. Today I chatted

with
> > someone who is getting delay write errors after upgrading to XP. I told

> him
> > to replace hi network cable first (wall to machine not in the wall) and

if
> > that doesn't work try a different port on his hub. When I did mine all

> were
> > clean install with latest drivers. Is this a common problem with XP? Why

> did
> > the previous OS (ME, 98, 2000) work fine before? Almost all the same
> > hardware and the machine worked fine back here when I loaded them.

Peter Parker

      19th Jan 2004
What is it called. I keep seeing tweaks to change setting. But nothing
dealing with my issue. I fixed by change wire or different switch ports. not
with tweaks. Is there a tweak where I don't have to switch ports or wire?

news:052e01c3dcb1$25b8b550$(E-Mail Removed)...