network security key

Peter Mac

      13th Jan 2008
In trying to add a new laptop to my existing home, wireless network, I'm
being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find this?
--
pmcd404

Malke

      13th Jan 2008
Peter Mac wrote:
> In trying to add a new laptop to my existing home, wireless network, I'm
> being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find this?

It will be on the wireless security section in your router's
configuration utility. Refer to your router's manual to see how to use
the router's configuration utility.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Kerry Brown

      13th Jan 2008
"Peter Mac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> In trying to add a new laptop to my existing home, wireless network, I'm
> being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find
> this?
> --
> pmcd404

In the router setup. It is the key/password/pass phrase for the wireless
security. Depending on your router and the type of security (WEP, WPA, PA-2
etc.) it could be called any of these things.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

SG

      16th Jan 2008
Hi,

Well at least you or someone setup the encryption Key, so good for you.
Depending on your router brand you will need to access it most likely
through your browser.
For a Linksys you will type in your browser address bar the following....
192.168.1.1

The default setting for the Linksys is blank and the password is admin
Once your in, look for the Wireless tab and then the Wireless Security tab.
You should see your Security Key and the type of Security Setup on the
router,

--
All the best,
SG