Network Property Sheets

Larry Weldon

      24th Aug 2004
I cannot seem to get rid of the following error. Has
anyone seen this problem and is there anything I can do
short of re-installing the OS? It originally started
when I tried to install a Linksys WPC54GS in my Presario
laptop without disabling the ethernet interface.

Thanks ************************************************

Error Message Claims That All Controls in LAN Adapter
Properties Are Disabled
View products that this article applies to.
SYMPTOMS
If you have two or more network adapters installed in
Windows 2000 and you view the properties for both
adapters at the same time, you receive the following
error message:

The controls on this property sheet are disabled because
one or more other Network property sheets are already
open. To use these controls, close all these property
sheets and then reopen this one.

After you click OK, the controls on the General tab are
disabled. However, the controls on the Internet
Connection Sharing tab are not disabled.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the
Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of
this article.
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Andreas Kohlbecker

      23rd Sep 2004
Larry Weldon wrote:
> I cannot seem to get rid of the following error. Has
> anyone seen this problem and is there anything I can do
> short of re-installing the OS? It originally started
> when I tried to install a Linksys WPC54GS in my Presario
> laptop without disabling the ethernet interface.
>
> Thanks ************************************************
>
> Error Message Claims That All Controls in LAN Adapter
> Properties Are Disabled
> View products that this article applies to.
> This article was previously published under Q236144
> SYMPTOMS
> If you have two or more network adapters installed in
> Windows 2000 and you view the properties for both
> adapters at the same time, you receive the following
> error message:
>
> The controls on this property sheet are disabled because
> one or more other Network property sheets are already
> open. To use these controls, close all these property
> sheets and then reopen this one.
>
> After you click OK, the controls on the General tab are
> disabled. However, the controls on the Internet
> Connection Sharing tab are not disabled.
>
> STATUS
> Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the
> Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of
> this article.
> The information in this article applies to:
> Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Once i had the same problem. Aftre 5 hors of pain and a
nearly sleeples nicht i found a solution for it.
I hope this will help you.

My research turned out that there are several error messages
which seem to be related are to this issue:

--

"The controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more
other Network property sheets are already open. To use these control,
close all these property sheets and then reopen this one."

--

"Could not uninstall the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component.
The error is 0x8004A024."

--

"Microsoft Windows 2000 has detected software that is not completely
installed on your computer. Windows 2000 Setup cannot continue until

--

Finally i found the solution in a Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 242435 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242435)

Follwing it i found one entry pointing to an pending network
installation process in tis registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

because of this windows was thinking that there is still a installation
process in the install queue.

hope this will help !!!

Andreas

New Member

      15th Sep 2006
I had this message when opening the Local Area Network Properties window, which meant the Properties button was disabled.

"The controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more
other Network property sheets are already open. To use these control,
close all these property sheets and then reopen this one."

No other property sheets were open.

Andreas's fix worked for me.
Thank you,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Holden; 15th Sep 2006 at 02:39 PM..